opinions on my propsed setup (2013 JKUR) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > opinions on my propsed setup (2013 JKUR)

JKS Grand Cherokee WJ, Adjustable Front Trackbar 1"-6Teraflex JK HD Hinged Carrier & Adjustable Spare Tire FREE, FREE, FREE EVENT!! Save big on Lockers now till Apri

Unread 10-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
grady7
2013 JK Wrangler 

opinions on my propsed setup (2013 JKUR)

** I see I got a bunch of views on this post, but no responses. I do have a few newbie lift questions, which are now bolded and underlined below. I should have been clearer in my title.

Thanks. **

Hi guys,

It has been a while since I've been on JF. I got laid-off earlier this year, so I forceed myself to put all jeep plans on hold until I got a job. Plus, I didn't want to read about others' mods, when I was handcuffed.

Long story short, I start next week.

My JKUR is bone stock right now. I am not a rock crawler yet, and I intend to stick to light trails for a while. I drive my jeep a good bit on the road, so my primary concern is not messing up the road manners. I have a list as long as my arm for what I want to do, but here is the phase 1 proposal - along with my questions.

- TF leveling kit. Are there any concerns with adding this kit to a rubi? I see it comes with sway bar links, and I want to make sure this will not cause any issues with the electronic sway bar disconnect.

- Kelly Safari TSR (285/70/17)

- quadratec moab style alloys (17x8.5, 4.7" backspacing (can I fit this rim and tire combo on my stock spare carrier without modification? Will the upper brakelight still be visible?

- I'm sure this question would be an easy search, but I might as well ask since I've already eaten up forum space. Do I have to go to the dealer to recalibrate the speedo? What equipment do they use to do this? I can check with my indy mechanic - who will install the kit - to see if he has it.

I'm also interested if anyone is running a close set-up as to how the road manners are.

Thanks for the help. I've been chomping at the bit to do this for a year.
-Grady

Last edited by grady7; 10-16-2014 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: clarified my questions to get answers.
grady7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
grady7
2013 JK Wrangler 

does anyone have input on my newbie lift questions in the initial post? I searched for specific answers, and I did not find definitive information.

Really the first question is the highest priority. The others I know I can figure out later.

Thanks.
Unread 10-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

The TF leveling kit should work with the Rubi. Nothing in it that affects the mechanical differences of a Rubi.

Look up the AEV ProCal module. Plugs into the diagnostic port under the dashboard. It will recalibrate your speedometer and do many other things. It costs about $120.... Money well spent!

I believe your third brake light will clear that size tire. If not you can always remove it and wire in a brake light mounted in the center of the spare tire (what I did.)
Political Correctness offends me.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
ASteve
1972 CJ5 

As Happy said, if it does not fit over the tire, you can mount it on the two wheel studs of the spare...just cut the light off and attach it to this:

http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-spare-tir...mount-kit.html

Here's a pic of mine as Happy posted above...

Lastly, I have the AEV Pro Cal and it works great...just make sure you measure your actual tire hight and not the manufactures tire hight when calibrating the speedo.
untitled-22.jpg  
Unread 10-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
grady7
2013 JK Wrangler 

Great! thank you guys for the advice.

I'm pretty gunshy on modifying my JKUR at all. I jumped into a 4" lift on my prior TJ, and I regretted it from the day I picked it up at the install shop. I plan to be very slow and methodical with this rig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.