Opinions on my alignment numbers needed please...are these numbers okay or way off? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Opinions on my alignment numbers needed please...are these numbers okay or way off?

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 10-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
Stacydmcc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Opinions on my alignment numbers needed please...are these numbers okay or way off?

I have a Teraflex 2.5 bb lift with an additional 3/4 skyjacker leveling spacer up front. I alos have an adjustable front tracbar and cam bolts to adjust the caster angle.

Here are the before and after numbers:

Left Front Before After
Caster 2.26 3.47
Camber -0.84 -0.84
Toe .42 .07
SAI 12.78 12.77
Included angle 11.94 11.91

Right Front Before After
Caster 2.23 3.73
Camber -0.64 -0.68
Toe .15 .07
SAI 12.94 12.93
Included angle 12.28 12.25

Left Rear Before After
Camber -0.41 -0.41
Toe 0.34 0.33

Right Rear Before After
Camber -0.31 -0.31
Toe -0.22 -0.20

The Jeep drives better than it did but is still wants to wander a little bit on uneven roads. The Caster numbers are the highest he could get with the adjustable cam bolts. I am thinking I should have just gotten adjustable lower control arms.

Anyway....can someone that knows about these numbers and can interpret them give me some guidance on what I need to get them where they need to be if they aren't already. I don't have much confidence in the alignment guy that did the alignment. For example...do I need to go as far as to but adjustable front lower control arm and adjustable upper rear control arms? Do I need a drop pitman arm?

as additional info. they told me that me rear end is not exactly straight therefore even with the front adjustable track bar my axel is shifted to the left (meaning the front left tire sits about 1/2 inch further outside the fender that the right side does.

again...any help is appreciated. Guess I should have dropped the 2 grand or so and got a kit with everything.

Stacydmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Tireguy
2009 JK Wrangler 

Align specs...

I had one of our Tech's pull the specs for our JK's.
Judging by what I'm seeing on the specs you provided, they're close...if thats the best he can squeeze out of the adjustments that are there (i.e. cam bolts) thats all you're going to get. Keep in mind, you've lifted the suspension and changed the geometry a small margin.

OE specs (better than factory) for the front are-
Camber-.03 with a tolerance of +/-.4
Caster- 4.2 w/t/o +/-0.5
Toe- .10 w/t/o +/-.02
(these numbers are seen as 10ths/100ths of a degree)

Rear is a bit more simple- Thrust Angle 0.00 w/t/o +/- .25.
The rear specs they provided by their machine show 'where stuff is at' in regards to caster/camber/toe. Camber and toe aren't adjustable on a JK in the rear.
If one tire is poking out from under a fender and the other side isn't, the axle isn't centered and needs adjusting more to center it (per the adjustable track bar).

Adjustable control arms (front or rear) can definately help fine tune alignment issues. As the alignment is right now, if you can tolerate the way it drives, live with it. If you're seeking absolute perfection, open up your wallet and get online for the necessary add-ons. Keep on eye on the tires as they wear, they can tell alot about alignment/misalignment.

HTH!
Tireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
Stacydmcc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thank you very much for the reply. I would like to have it a little better than it currently is. It is a little touchy to me. It isn't bad on good interstates but when you get on the small town roads that I live on it wanders a little bit.

The rear tires seem to be sticking out from the fender the same amount. The front on the other hand aren't. He said this was due to the rear axle not being perfectly straight. therefore the front had to be off a little bit in order to "square" the vehicle up.

Would adjustable front lowers and upper rears help a lot. At this point I don't mind spending the money. I have even been looking at the polyperformance synergy kit that looks like it comes with everything but shocks at $2,500.00. I had rather not spend that if I didn't have to but I will if it is need to make things right again. I figure it is cheaper than buying new tires all the time because of alignment issues.
Stacydmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Tireguy
2009 JK Wrangler 

Ok...as far as the rear axle affecting the position of the front axle? I'm throwing the BS flag there.
If the front axle is sticking out farther on one side than the other, the axle is/has shifted to the left with the lift. The adjustable track bar should allow enough adjustment to pull the axle back underneath and recenter it (thats what its designed for). Once that is done, then they will have to start all over again with the alignment.

Now, part of what he said is true. The position of the rear axle will affect how it drives/steers, and how the front has to be set to counteract any irregularities in regards to where the rear tires are pushing the Jeep- (square it up) to use his wording.

As fas as adjustable control arms go, they do have the benefit of infinite adjustability and you'll be able to dial that alignment in damn near perfect, but you still need to recenter the front axle and the control arms won't do that for you.

Call around to other shops. See if anybody specializes in lifted/lowered suspension alignment and get prices. If you've found the only place in your area, well, might have to work with them to get things straight. (no pun intended)

Tireguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.