Operation Big Red Wiener Schnitzel - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Operation Big Red Wiener Schnitzel

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 02-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #16
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Might it be worth my while to get something like the JKS quicker discos and ditch the rubi system?

check out SKIVVESS Build thread/posts on this subject , he has JKS AND electric discos and has skewered his pricey 35s, he's talking currie now. If I tried to tell you the details I would get it wrong. He on the other hand seems to know what he is talking about.

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #17
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Anybody have experience with the LOD bumpers? My guy at Trailquest (trailquestDOTcom) is recommending their front bumper, despite the fact that he does not and cannot sell it, and can sell the rugged ridge modular that I called him about.
w/stinger
http://www.lodoffroad.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16162&cat=23&page=1

w/ bullbar
http://www.lodoffroad.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16133&cat=23&page=1

Going to go give a shot at the flares now...wish me luck!

EDIT: Thanks gsaxe, I'll have a peek at skivees posts
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #18
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post

How thick is the steel? In the pictures i was worried they were like 1/8" flimsy metal that would dent easy.
JFD140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #19
quag1509
2010 JK Wrangler 

I love my stinger! Looking good, I need to get around to making a build thread. Keep the pics coming
quag1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #20
dsjk
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
Anybody have experience with the LOD bumpers? My guy at Trailquest (trailquestDOTcom) is recommending their front bumper, despite the fact that he does not and cannot sell it, and can sell the rugged ridge modular that I called him about.
w/stinger
http://www.lodoffroad.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16162&cat=23&page=1

w/ bullbar
http://www.lodoffroad.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16133&cat=23&page=1

EDIT: Thanks gsaxe, I'll have a peek at skivees posts

LoD is good stuff but you are going to wait for it.
dsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #21
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjk View Post
LoD is good stuff but you are going to wait for it.
Yeah that is what I was told...3 or 4 weeks before they even ship?

P.S.

I'm done with the fender flares Photobucket/my offices internet connection is taking foreeeever.
Unread 02-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #22
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Ok so step one for the fronts is to remove the five(5) 10mm bolts on the underside of the factory flares. After you get those out, grab a hold and pull real hard...bunch of popping noises as the plastic plugs snap.

Step two: Put on your patience hat, removing the sheered plastic plugs is a pain in the arse. Here's a pic of the rear with some of the plastic plugs still in there (the rear does not require unbolting...just a couple strong pulls)

Step three (front) cut the front inner fender linings approx. flush with the body (I eyeballed the **** of this, again remember to put on your patience cap ) Also, remember to change out of your favorite J-Crew pants...

Step three, loosely attach all eight(8) bolts with two washers and one nut...the center three or four are a huuuuge PITA, especially if you have big hands. The directions say some drilling may be required, but my holes were almost perfectly in line, I was able to push and shove for a couple of them. Tighten down (not too tight). Reattach inner fender lining with two of the original 10mm bolts and a larger (I think I used a 1/2") washer through the large holes in the top center of the liner.
Should look something like this

My trouble here is...notice the gap on the bottom at the rear (door side, not bumper side). Maybe I trimmed too much, but there is nowhere that you can attach this portion...suggestions? Or does anyone make custom linings that you guys know of?

Repeat for the passenger side.

Rear was a piece of cake...pull the old ones off, tighten down two more bolts+2washers&a nut/ea. in the top center of the rears. Install five self tapping screws (included). USE AN ELECTRIC DRILL, I almost overtightened one with the electric drill...I can't imagine what would have happened if I was thoughtless enough to use an air ratchet.

OH on the fronts, you need to tuck away the plug from the side marker lamps...here is where I stored them:

Passenger side, beside the air box

Driver side

And the finished product:

And you can see that the pinch seam really needs done! I'm going to have my body shop do this for me next week (after the first of the month)...Do y'all think it's possible to trim it down far enough to flush up with the flare (they're a very good body shop)?
Unread 02-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #23
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Disregard the abused teraflex and jeepforum stickers on the windshield forgot they were there when I was scraping ice after work one day
Unread 02-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #24
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD140 View Post

How thick is the steel? In the pictures i was worried they were like 1/8" flimsy metal that would dent easy.
I don't think it will dent very easily, being that they are very narrow (well inside of the outer edge of the tire). I wouldn't stand on them or anything, but I think they're a damn good buy considering the very inexpensive cost (relatively speaking) and the ease of install.

I'll put it this way...they're much heavier duty than bushwackers or xenons and they cost me $378 shipped. If you're looking for the strength of full replacement tube fenders, however, look elsewhere

Like here My wife even said these were sexy, and she doesn't give two flying four-letter words about a Jeep

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/138.htm
Unread 02-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #25
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Good stuff - looking better and better!!!
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #26
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
Good stuff - looking better and better!!!
Thanks, man Need to make a decision on my front bumper now...I'm was considering the poison spyder BFH front bumper with trail stinger...but can't retain factory fogs, so it's down to the LOD referenced above, possibly the rugged ridge modular (but I really want to go a route less traveled) so I think I'm ruling it out. I have some more research to do I guess haha. Man I wish I had the fab skills some of the guys in here do *cough*rutdigger*cough*
Unread 02-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #27
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

I think i will be picking up these fenders down the line for sure...

They look great man, i wish i had gotten flame red and not black, but once i black out everything il be happy (even if red does add 10 HP)

Where did you pick them up for that price shipped?
JFD140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #28
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
Wow, great looking fenders man. I am impressed.

any chance of a straight on frontal shot?
Thanks man! You know, I didn't snap one straight on and the light is non-existant outside...carport, no garage for our condo But I think we're having large one-cars built in the next year or so I'll snap a shot tomorrow for you

On that note...can't wait for the batter-half's sister to graduate from college - we're going to rent our condo to her and finally buy a house (with a gigantic freaking garage)
Unread 02-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #29
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD140 View Post
I think i will be picking up these fenders down the line for sure...

They look great man, i wish i had gotten flame red and not black, but once i black out everything il be happy (even if red does add 10 HP)

Where did you pick them up for that price shipped?
E-bay...I'll find the ebay store for you...hang on

I wish I had bought black! But the residual on my dad's lease was unbelievable...about $2,500 less than what I could have bought a similar miled/equipped rubi on smartauction or at the columbus fair auto auction. Red is growing on me

EDIT:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Smitt...Q5fAccessories
Unread 02-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #30
fergyjk
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove

Thanks, man Need to make a decision on my front bumper now...I'm was considering the poison spyder BFH front bumper with trail stinger...but can't retain factory fogs, so it's down to the LOD referenced above, possibly the rugged ridge modular (but I really want to go a route less traveled) so I think I'm ruling it out. I have some more research to do I guess haha. Man I wish I had the fab skills some of the guys in here do *cough*rutdigger*cough*
Like you, I was considering the Rugged Ridge but it seems every other Jeep has one. Very popular bumper based on the simplicity and cost. If you want something that is less common but along the same stubby style my vote is an OR-Fab, planning on ordering mine this week. Northridge4x4 has them at the best price and free shipping, they've even got a discount code "discount" going for 5% off. I'm liking the fender flares, definitely need a stubby to go with them.
Your rig is looking good, looking forward to follow your progress.
fergyjk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aev is over rated , big red schoolbus , i've got a chubby , jk on 37s , masturbation material , poison spyder is terrible , rubicon

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.