open diff in rear?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > open diff in rear??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-26-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
bofer84

Location: lakeland florida/ seneca south carolina/tampa florida
open diff in rear??

hey guys, im picking up my 2door jeep rubicon in 2 weeks, but i had a question on the driveline. when in 2hi, do both wheels in the rear spin, or just one?? ie, does it have a limited slip in the rear? or can you lock the rear when in 2hi. i know you can lock all 4 together when in low, but im wondering about 2hi? that sucks if you cant, no donuts, only 1 liners

bofer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Rubicon is open diff when the lockers are disengaged and you can't engage the lockers in anything other than 4LO.
Unread 02-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
wvextremist

2007 JK Wrangler 

There is a wiring mod out there you can do to allow you to use the locker and disco at any speed or transfer case setting.

You can search for these threads or perhaps someone else can give you a little more info

'07 JKU-- RESCUE GREEN
Sahara, 6 spd,
Tow pkg,
Ltd Slip
UPGRADES:
Rubi Tires and Wheels,
Shrockworks Stubby Front Bumper, and sliders
Sway Bar Disco's,
OME HD Lift kit
Smittybuilt Winch,
River Raider Snorkle,
Aftermarket MyGIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticBastard
Aliens will cost you alot of money..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jloughlin
...turn up the volume as loud as you want (and possibly blow the carp out of your speakers)...
wvextremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvextremist
There is a wiring mod out there you can do to allow you to use the locker and disco at any speed or transfer case setting.
It'll let you override the disco too? Oh well, I suppose if you have a deathwish...
Unread 02-26-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
bofer84

haha, not a death wish, it just sucks to not have a locker or atleast a limited in the rear. I HATE, having to use 4x4, i like 2hi for most offroading, then if you need 4hi you lock it in, plus, im a southern boy, i like to be able to bogg in 2hi and get a nice rooster tail going haha.
Unread 02-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofer84
haha, not a death wish, it just sucks to not have a locker or atleast a limited in the rear. I HATE, having to use 4x4, i like 2hi for most offroading, then if you need 4hi you lock it in, plus, im a southern boy, i like to be able to bogg in 2hi and get a nice rooster tail going haha.
My deathwish comment was referring to the disco's, you don't want to take a corner at speed without a front sway bar

The ESP will mimic an LSD if the diff is open by braking the loose axle, so you won't have to worry too much about losing traction at speed I would think.
Unread 02-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
bofer84

ok, so you are saying that, when in 2hi i have the ESP on my side that will make 2wheels spin instead of just 1?? thats what im after, i hate it when you only have 1 wheel drive or more commonly an open diff. So, does this system in 2hi mimic a limited slip diff??
Unread 02-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So, does this system in 2hi mimic a limited slip diff??
Yes, exactly.
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 09:30 PM   #9
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki
My deathwish comment was referring to the disco's, you don't want to take a corner at speed without a front sway bar
But it'd be nice to disco in 4HI, you shouldn't always need 4L when discoing

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 10:02 PM   #10
bofer84

ok, thanks so much for clearing that up, it makes me feel better.

As far as disconecting in 4hi, i know there is a rubicon locker bypass you can do that will allow you to lock in 4hi 2hi and disconect as well.
Unread 02-26-2007, 10:08 PM   #11
jdrogers
2002 WJ 

Quote:
ok, so you are saying that, when in 2hi i have the ESP on my side that will make 2wheels spin instead of just 1?? thats what im after, i hate it when you only have 1 wheel drive or more commonly an open diff. So, does this system in 2hi mimic a limited slip diff??
Actually the point of ESP is to have no wheels spinning. I don't think you can spin both wheels with ESP on. You can set the ESP to "partial off" mode in 2 High and it will allow more wheel spin than normal and it will still support brake lock anti-slip differential functions.
jdrogers is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.