oops - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > oops

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-16-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

oops

ok so the other day I was playing in the mud I got stuck so im trying to put it into 4 wheel drive. im pulling on the damn stick to go into 4 hi it's real hard to pull finaly It gives and i here a grrrr geat grinding apperently im pulling to far. it was not a hard grind just a light brrrrr sound. did I damage anything? just to make sure 4 lo stil worked I put it in nuetral and slipped it in 4 lo I got out of the mud. I'm worried I may have damaged somthing everything works fine its not making any unusual sounds or anythind I just need these gears to last a few more months untill I get my 4.88's

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like your transfercase not diff gears. Look at your manual you actually should be moving when shifting into 4wd. I find it hard to do sometimes if im stuck and I try to switch over. Now I just put it in 4wd before i go in the hole. I would also change the fluids to make sure nothing got in through the breather tubes. Btw nice jeep!
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

You should be fine. Sounds like your T-case bound up some and that happens. That noise shouldn't have been in your diffs. Sometimes you need to be rolling slightly or shift trans to N to easily shift to 4 wheel. Be careful yanking hard on the Tcase shifter tho. There is a cheap plastic grommet that connects the linkage that can break easily.
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
SilverStreaker
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yep, I've had to rock back and forth once when trying to shift into 4 high. I think your transfer case is fine but if you're really concerned you could change the fluid and make sure it's clean.

My Wife's Jeep - 2007 Grand Cherokee - only mod - K&N Cold Air Intake system
SilverStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wow thanks guys for the advice. Should I be using 4 low or hi for mud holes

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
Wow thanks guys for the advice. Should I be using 4 low or hi for mud holes
Im not huge in the mud holes. But for my specific jeep I use 4lo in 3rd or 4th. Most use 4 hi though in order to get the wheel spin for the big holes. That being said ive had mud over my 37s with no issues. But lockers help the falkens do their job
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

i always used 4 hi for mud holes with my previous '08 wrangler X that was bone stock. Never has issues and it took them fine. i'd only consider 4 lo if i was fully stuck and/or it was deep and thick mud
Unread 07-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
Butterbuddha
2010 JK Wrangler 

I find greater success in 4 lo through mud. (Granted, your PentaJesus has more power and torque than I do LOL) I have gotten through mud holes in 4 lo that I had to get winched out of in 4HI.
Unread 07-20-2013, 03:17 AM   #9
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

I think it is in the little vids on the jeep website that says what you experienced is normal, and did no harm. I had a 99 Dakota 4wd that made that noise a couple of times. That Dakota was a fabulous truck. I'll always regret selling it.
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I use 4 lo for mud.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.