Which ones to go with? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Which ones to go with?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 05-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Blck2012
2012 JK Wrangler 

Which ones to go with?

Alright, I am wanting some info or just opinions from you guys that have already gone through this.
I have figured out that I want a 3" lift and 35's. But I am trying to figure out what kinda gears that I need to get. For that matter I really need to figure out what gears I got in it now. I can't seem to find where it is written anywhere. On my 94 it was on the pumpkin itself.
It is a 2012 Sport S JKU 4x4, thanks for any help you might can lend or advice you might can give.

Blck2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Auto or manual transmission?
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
kade
2012 JK Wrangler 

its 2012 you dont need new gears

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/kade-2012-jku-build-1305112/
kade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Blck2012
2012 JK Wrangler 

It is a automatic.
Why wouldn't I need gears due to the year? I read in another thread where they are coming with 3:21's and the lose of power when lifting is pretty bad.
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
kade
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blck2012 View Post
It is a automatic.
Why wouldn't I need gears due to the year? I read in another thread where they are coming with 3:21's and the lose of power when lifting is pretty bad.
because you have the new engine and trans,
yes you will lose "power" but you don't need new gears

trust me (that's what i got)
just remember its not a Corvette its a Jeep

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/kade-2012-jku-build-1305112/
kade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
FireMedic1343

Well, if you have 4.10 you may not need to go any further, but there are no guarantees.

Only the Manual comes default with 4.10, you can request it on the Auto though.
FireMedic1343 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
FireMedic1343

I don't know if I read your post right...I'm sleepy, I apologize if I didn't help.
FireMedic1343 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Here is a link to the 2012 gear/rpm chart, though last time I read the thread I believe there was a concern that it wasn't the "official" chart. I'll have to re-read the thread to familiarize myself with the 2012's and see if there are any other updates around.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/2...chart-1292355/

From creeping the forum, it seems to me that 4.10s or 4.56s are the preferred gear with the automatic transmission for the 3.6L with 35-inch tires. So, to answer your question, those are the "target" gears for mid-range performance. According to the chart you can go to a higher or lower ratio than that, but it really depends on what you want to do with your rig. 3.73's for instance, indicate 'sluggish' performance (yellow) on the chart for 35s. For that reason (and also because I am running 35s on stock gears myself, though a 2011 not a 2012), I'd say that IDEALLY you'd have to re-gear with 35-inch tires in order to retain the stock performance of the 32s you now have. Not to say that you won't be able to get along without them, but if you were able to drop a new set of rings and pinions into your rig, you'd be better off.

Another thing that the chart does not account for is the weight of the tires that you choose. Considering that the stock tires/wheels weigh around 67-68 lbs each, adding a 12.5" wide tire that is 35-inches in diameter can increase your unsprung weight considerably. Also, most tires differ between "true" measurements and "rated" measurements. A 35" rated tire can run as little as 34.25" (mine are actually 34.75") which could practically put any given size tire on the next-lower row of the chart!!! These are just a couple of other things to consider as you make your selection for the kind of tire that you may want.

Cheers!
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
Blck2012
2012 JK Wrangler 

That's the kinda stuff I was looking for. Thanks, I had seen a chart on the FAQ page but I wasn't sure if the numbers and the practical application were the same.
Now for the next question, where do I find out what gears I have. I don't see it listed on the window sticker and I didn't see it listed on either the pumpkin or the door jam sticker.
Again thanks for the help. You guys are awesome.
Unread 05-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #10
Brian_in_MT

Quote:
..Now for the next question, where do I find out what gears I have. I don't see it listed on the window sticker and I didn't see it listed on either the pumpkin or the door jam sticker.
You said you have the window sticker. That makes it very easy. It will be on the window sticker. Look on the left side under "Standard Equipment". You will see "3.21 rear axle ratio". Every non Rubicon has this listed as it is the base gear set.

Now look on the right side of the option sheet under "Optional Equipment". If the gears were upgrade you will see "3.73 rear axle ratio". If it's a standard you will see a $50 charge for this. If it's an automatic it will be listed with no charge. If you don't see 3.73 under the optional equipment then it's a 3.21.

Those are the only 2 options you have. Unlike what the other guy said you don't have an option for 4.10. The only way to get factory 4.10 in a Wrangler is to buy a Rubicon.
Brian_in_MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
Blck2012
2012 JK Wrangler 

3:21 i was really hoping for 3:73. This going to set me back I little more than I originally planned. Local dealer quoted me 1700 in labor alone. I laughed out loud and I think I pissed him off but I believe that to be way to much. Am I wrong? That was just labor, not the master install kit, shims, or the ring and pinion.
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

You should be able to get a total re-gear for much less than that - even with premium rings/pinions and master overhaul kits.
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #13
pikegulley
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
3:21 i was really hoping for 3:73. This going to set me back I little more than I originally planned. Local dealer quoted me 1700 in labor alone. I laughed out loud and I think I pissed him off but I believe that to be way to much. Am I wrong? That was just labor, not the master install kit, shims, or the ring and pinion.
For $1700, I got the gears/equipment, labor, and a 3-year warranty (break the ring/pinion (even out on the trail) and labor/replacement is free).
Unread 05-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
Blck2012
2012 JK Wrangler 

They were offended when I laughed. The guy told me it would take 7 1/2 hours per axle. I just told him I had to go and no thanks on them doing it. It should take 7 hours for both if they know what they are doing and have the proper tools. An that's generous. I'm shopping around. Thanks for y'alls input.
Unread 05-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #15
river2c
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
They were offended when I laughed. The guy told me it would take 7 1/2 hours per axle. I just told him I had to go and no thanks on them doing it. It should take 7 hours for both if they know what they are doing and have the proper tools. An that's generous. I'm shopping around. Thanks for y'alls input.
Check out Screamin Lizard Customs

Tags
gears , jku , tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.