Which one? Console insert, glove box, or locking cubby cover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Which one? Console insert, glove box, or locking cubby cover

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
SpEd

Which one? Console insert, glove box, or locking cubby cover

I find myself needing something more secure than the stock console to store valuables such as my gps, phone etc. I understand that I have a soft top and such, but it'd be nice to have it a little more difficult than the stock stuff for protection. On a budget, like everyone else, so my question is which Tuffy product would provide the best bang for the buck.

The console insert would be the most convenient, the glove box would work well also and be equally as convenient, but the locking cubby cover in the back of the JK would be pretty secure. I'd love the whole console like I had in my YJ, but it's just not in the cards financially for me.

Does anyone have experience with any of these products? I'd appreciate any feedback you can give. Thanks in advance.

Unread 04-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Backpack

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Rescue1
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have the glove box and i love it. cheap and solid. the thing sounds like a safe when it closes. no regrets!!
Rescue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
SpEd

That's good to know. I was sort of leaning towards the glove box for convenience sake anyways, and it's cheaper than the console insert. I might do the glove box first, then the console.
Unread 04-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
SpEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudinater View Post
Backpack
Then my back would stick out as much as my gut. I'm much too fashion consious for that.
Unread 04-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Have you looked at the add-a-trunks? Bestop/Tuffy/Mopar...Not very big, but really secure. Backs on tailgate, covers stash hole (which is still usable)...
$207 for the bestop instatrunk

http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetai...eep-parts=true
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
SpEd

That certainly adds something to the equation. Does it have some type of wall against the rear seat? What would stop someone from just pushing the seat forward and getting the stuff from there if they broke into the Jeep? Just wondering.
Unread 04-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
SpEd

Just went to Bestop's site and it does. Sure makes it a viable option. Thanks for the idea!
Unread 04-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

No sweat! I keep my tool bag, ammo box/emerg kit, come-along, tow straps, gloves, etc in there, and ropes in the stash hole(makes em harder to get to when you have to unpack everything)
Mounts to pre-existing holes with 3 bolts/well nuts. (comes with well-nut driver) Piece of cake!
Unread 04-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #10
strategydude
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the locking cubby cover and am really happy with it. I use it to lock my laptop among other things and the glove-box just wasn't big enough. Also, I felt that the tuffy glove-box was too overt and in plain view to potential thieves. The locking cubby cover is very easy to install ... was done in about 15 minutes.
strategydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2009, 05:34 AM   #11
Rescue1
2009 JK Wrangler 

i like the fact that the glove box doesn't take up any additional room. it doesn't change my cargo area at all. yes it may make the thieves look at it vs something more hidden in the trunk but....

one of the posts i read about the glove box was about a guy that said he was driving cross country and was storing his wallet in his tuffy glove box. something happened to his keys (i can't remember) but he had a crow bar, and the knowledge of how the thing was installed. it took him 45 mins to crack into it and get his wallet out to pay for gas.

no it will not fit a laptop but it will fit my pistol.

another benifit is that i took the glove box out of my first jeep and reinstalled the original box before i traded it in. installed it again in my new one in about 30 mins.
Rescue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2009, 07:05 AM   #12
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

thanks for posting this

I have been looking for the cubby cover and couldn't think of the name

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2009, 07:23 AM   #13
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Cubby cover

So the cubby cover is a good easily installed item? got any pics? Thanks! Anything to keep the thieving crack heads out!
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #14
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The insta-trunks cover the cubby! (and you can still open it once inside the tailgate) 2 for 1, eh?
Unread 04-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #15
md_rubi

i have the full consol and the back cover.

the consol has lot more storage room then the factory and the arm rest is higher and more cummfy
md_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.