Onboard air: Arb Dual or Viair 450 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Onboard air: Arb Dual or Viair 450

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
MikeSD

2008 JK Wrangler 

Onboard air: Arb Dual or Viair 450

For tires only. No air tank. 100% duty cycle operation units only. No CO2, no alternate solutions. Just a choice between 2 specific units.

Which will fill a 37" tire from 15psi to 35psi, quicker,

1) Arb dual compressor
2) Viair 450H or C

I'm thinking the ARB since it has a CFM of over 4 at the load PSI. Whereas the Viair only gets to 1.3CFM. Have I read this right?

And am I correct that a tank does nothing, to help? I mean one full tank of air won't even fill one tire, so is pretty much useless, with regards to tire inflation. Right?

Thanks,

Unread 07-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

I use the ARB single compressor, and it fills my 37's from 12 psi to 25 psi in about 4 minutes. I imagine the ARB dual compressor will do it faster.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Interested in this topic. Subscribed!
Unread 07-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

I run the Vair 450H with a three gallon tank. Get my 35s aired back up in 4 minutes each AND has enough reserve to use a 1/2 impact for tire changing - 5 lugs hardly even dents the reserve!
Unread 07-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
Ripped08
2008 JK Wrangler 

My Warn Powerplant Duel Force /no tank will get my 37's from 15 to 25 in about 3 min. each.
Unread 07-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #6
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think the price difference between that and the options he mentioned might be a bit prohibitive. Like cross-shopping a Geo Metro and a Tesla here.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
MikeSD

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
I think the price difference between that and the options he mentioned might be a bit prohibitive. Like cross-shopping a Geo Metro and a Tesla here.
It's not prohibited, it's irrelevant. I have a winch already. I'm only asking which of the two can perform the task I mentioned, quicker.
Unread 07-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #8
RalphTomaccio
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the Viaire 450C that I decided to make into an engine bay install instead of as a portable unit. I took off the base and bought a Synergy brake booster bracket. Installed a relax, circuit breaker and a switch in the dash, along with a remote air source just behind the front bumper. No tank as I just use it for filling up tires at this point. I can always install one at a later date. The pump fills my stock tires from 20 to 35 psi in 2 minutes each.

RalphTomaccio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #9
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the Viair 450 as we'll but with twin 2.5 gallon tanks. Works great just wish the compressor was a little faster.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...tures-1509366/
HAFICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #10
CrustySprings
1985 CJ7 

I have a Viair 460 compressor, a 2 1/2 gallon Viair tank and a Viair pressure switch/relay. It works great! It takes about 15 minutes to build pressure, air my 32's up from 12 to 26 psi and put everything away. Is it as fast as a converted AC compressor? No. But it beats the heck out of using a bicycle tire pump out in the middle of nowhere!
258 cu. inch six, Team Rush ignition upgrade, T5, Dana 300, Superwinch lockouts, Black Diamond 3" suspension lift, greasable shackles, poly bushings, JKS quick discos, 32x11.50x15 Cooper STT's, American Racing 23 15x8 alloys, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio, 2' adjustable tip Firestick antenna, Viair 460 onboard air system
CrustySprings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #11
Serg5000
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the ARB twin and it fills my 37's from 15 psi to 32-33 psi in 2 1/2 minutes each. No tank. I purchased a tank but then thought against it. As you mentioned. Once to tank empties it's no help. The compressor can fill the tires just as it would try and keep the tank full. I figured one less thing to worry about.
Serg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphTomaccio View Post
No tank as I just use it for filling up tires at this point. I can always install one at a later date.
With a tank - you will probably have the pump ON while driving so-

Before you do - get in and with it running step on the brake while someone bleeds air - like with a blow gun. Make sure you are comfortable with the vibration - it feels like the antilocks are engaging and can be unsettling if the pump kicks on just when you are using the finesse of braking coming off a rock!!

I have decided that when my viair (mounted the same way) is done I am going with the york kit to replace it. I have been startled too many times causing me to overshoot my target point.

Some folks it dont bother...
Unread 07-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #13
MikeSD

2008 JK Wrangler 

Why install the onboard air, inside the engine compartment? I don't get that. I understand it doesn't take up room in the jeep but under the Jeep wouldn't either. And in a hot engine compartment seems kind of counter intuitive place to put it. I could understand if it was belt driven or something like that.
Unread 07-13-2014, 06:49 AM   #14
RalphTomaccio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSD View Post
Why install the onboard air, inside the engine compartment? I don't get that. I understand it doesn't take up room in the jeep but under the Jeep wouldn't either. And in a hot engine compartment seems kind of counter intuitive place to put it. I could understand if it was belt driven or something like that.

1. It's an available spot and readily accessible.

2. It's close to the electrical making it an easier installation.

3. It's out of harms way while off-roading, unlike mounting it under the Jeep.

4. It's easier to install an on-off switch on the dash since it's close to the firewall. Fewer wire routing issues.

5. Many will also mount an air tank near the radiator as well, making hoses running from the compressor to the tank shorter and an easier install.

6. I have not read of anyone having any issues, heat related or otherwise, having it mounted there.

7. If you prefer under the Jeep, by all means put it there.
RalphTomaccio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #15
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSD View Post

For me, the engine bay stays clean. Espically in the winter with salt and sand non the road. Also the compressor mounted in the the Jeep would get covered in dity/mud which would a t as an insulator can possible cause it to overheat. I have never had a problem with mine overheating while mounted in the engine bay. Lots of good options just a matter of what works for the end user.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...tures-1509366/
HAFICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.