OME 2" Lift Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > OME 2" Lift Questions

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
chesapeakesoja
2013 JK Wrangler 

OME 2" Lift Questions

First off, pardon me if this has been covered. I did some quick looking around, but I honestly started getting a headache from staring at the monitor too long.

Background: I had a TJ with a mild lift. Loved it ...sold it ...and now I'm back in the saddle with a 2013 JKU Sport.

Back when I was frequenting the TJ forum, the OME lift kits were widely regarded as some of the best money could buy for lifting the TJ without getting crazy, which was always appealing since my Jeep was my DD. My current JKU is also my DD, so I don't want to get crazy, but I don't want to screw it up as a DD by being stupid and trying to save a buck either.

I see that the OME kits are available for the JK/JKU as well and they seem to be pretty similar to the kits that were offered for the old TJ. Looks basic, yields more significantly more lift than the advertised 2", and (hopefully) has been reported to have the same sort of ride quality and articulation as the previous kits, which wasn't so bad.

But it's a much more basic kit than some others out there. Would running one of these lifts cause me more problems and require more parts than OME would have us believe? I mean, Adj. track bars, disconnects, LCA's, etc. are included in some of the more complete kits, and I like that. They cost more, but if it is necessary to add these parts to an OME kit, then the cost quickly evens out.

I don't wheel too heavily. Don't have a ton of rocks around here, and I'd like to pay this thing off before I start all of that. But a little lift to play on some trails, play in the sand, and satisfy my desire to have my Jeep look more like what I'm accustomed to my Jeeps looking like is moving me to do something about it now. I'm not a fan of doing things twice, but I'm not against doing it the right way in stages.

I'm thinking of cutting the flares or replacing them with something that will provide more clearance, going with 35's, and enjoying my Jeep for a while. I'm drawn to the OME kit because I've read years of great reviews on their products, but I don't want to focus too much on it if there are (much) better options out there.

Thanks for your thoughts...

...and man, it's good to be back.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
Ronald Reagan
chesapeakesoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I run the kit and love it. If you get the kit from Dave at Northridge 4x4 it usually includes adj track bars f/r for re centering the axles. I eventually added adj control arms to set caster in front and pinion angle in rear, hence not needing a new rear drive shaft...rides great on and off road. I used the HD spring kit and netted about 3.2 inches of lift and I use the OME Nitrocharger shocks.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
PrinceBondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesoja View Post
But it's a much more basic kit than some others out there. Would running one of these lifts cause me more problems and require more parts than OME would have us believe? I mean, Adj. track bars, disconnects, LCA's, etc. are included in some of the more complete kits, and I like that. They cost more, but if it is necessary to add these parts to an OME kit, then the cost quickly evens out.
I JUST installed the Quadratec OME 2" "Heavy" kit on my 2007 JKU Sahara, one week ago today. My description of "wheeling" sounds a lot like yours - don't do it often, and my Jeep's use as a DD is more important. My ONLY reason for installing this kit was to get better cargo capacity and better handling when hauling a heavy trailer. On the advice of my buddies (who installed it for me), I ALSO got a JKS adjustable trackbar.

On the basis of one week of driving, with and without the trailer, here are my thoughts:

a). Easy install, if you know what you are doing. My buddies who know mechanical things had no issues.

b). Too much lift. I got 3" in the front and 4" in the back, upon initial measurements. I have heavy bumpers, skid plate, corner guards, etc. So it's not as if I am "underweighted". The kit simply yields more lift than it says it says, and more than I desired.

c). ESP got borked. After some initial panic, I suspected it was due to alignment (steering wheel was 45 degrees right when going straight). Sure enough, alignment fixed the ESP issue.

d). Ride is better than stock. Much better. This is based on driving around the ****ty rutted washboard paved roads we have in Anchorage (damaged due to people with studded tires).

e). Handling with trailer is night and day difference. The trailer doesn't bully the trailer around much at all. Definitely justifies the upgrade. This is also based on driving around the ****ty rutted washboard paved roads we have in Anchorage (damaged due to people with studded tires).

f). It LOOKS really good with my 33" tires (no desire to go bigger). I had some "sag" from the heavy goodies on my Jeep. The sag is gone, and then some. Even with the trailer attached, I've got plenty of space between the tire and the fender flare (it sinks virtually zero). The more I look at it, the more I like it, and decide the extra lift is not so bad.

In any event, the ride is definitely good. You will not be sorry on that score. A lot of Jeeps get borked on handling due to crappy lift kits. That is definitely not the case here.

Hope this helps.
PrinceBondar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Always good to see an OP with a solid plan and knows what he wants to gain.
Black 2011 JKU Rubicon/ 6spd w/5.13 gears/ 5.5" RK X-Factor Mid Arm (3.5") Springs, RRD Shocks/ Poly Inner/Outter Sleeves and C-Gussets/ Reid HD Knuckes/ 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" MB72s/ ACE Flat Fenders/ JCR Front Stubby Stinger, Rear Stubby Bumper and JCR Deluxe Sliders/ Warn 9.5 cti w/Syn line/ OR-Fab Swing Away Tire Carrier w/Fuel Can mounts

Oct 2012/Dec 2013 JKOTM

My work in progress:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...dated-2206865/

Couldn't have done it without Jason@KrawlOff-Road.com!!!
HOKIES2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
chesapeakesoja
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
...If you get the kit from Dave at Northridge 4x4 it usually includes adj track bars f/r for re centering the axles...
I wasn't aware of that. Checking out the website, that's a steal for that price! Thanks for the heads-up.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
Ronald Reagan
chesapeakesoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes you will need to recenter the steering wheel. Simple, just do a search or read the FAQ section.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
Kolak
Vendor

I've been an OME dealer for over 15 years and I would be happy to assist anyone here with a lift for their JK. Send me a PM and we'll chat. I have Bilstein shocks and JKS on special as well so I can put together the highest quality lift at a cost-effective price
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

ok kolak...pm sent

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.