Ok others with a Spiderweb Shade, I got some questions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ok others with a Spiderweb Shade, I got some questions?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ok others with a Spiderweb Shade, I got some questions?

Just got it today, installed it per the Spiderwebshades.com video. The rear was extremely difficult but I got the cord eventually to stretch enough.

1st might sound stupid but this is meant to be extremely tight from being new?

2nd the center holes where the freedom top screws go through, are they supposed to just fall directly over the holes in the roll bar/sound bar or did it take you some pulling and tugging to get it all lined up for the screws to make it through the holes?

Generally this thing that looked like it should take me 15 minutes to put on took me an hour to pull and stretch over the JKU and get all the spider ball cords hooked up, plus the center holes proved to be tough? Is this all normal for a new shade? (yes I did call Spiderwebshades but they were closed for the night)

Thanks

ironbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

It was tight the first time, but loosened up each time I did it again.

... now let the jokes begin.
SoCal_HEMIHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_HEMIHead View Post
It was tight the first time, but loosened up each time I did it again.

... now let the jokes begin.
That's what she said

Good to hear but I plan on leaving it on and not taking it off anytime soon if ever
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes, I'm sure it will stretch. I haven't used my holes so I can't speak about how easy they line up, but now that I have it figured out I'm able to install it in about 5-10 minutes.
SoCal_HEMIHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_HEMIHead View Post
Yes, I'm sure it will stretch. I haven't used my holes so I can't speak about how easy they line up, but now that I have it figured out I'm able to install it in about 5-10 minutes.
So how do you put the freedom top screws back in?

I am sure if I took the shade off and put it back on it would be easier but damn this thing took some coaxing and beer to get fitted nicely
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine was a ***** to get on. Definitely stretched out in a day or two. My "15 minute" project turned into an hour long project as well.

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

I actually took the velcro strips that came with it and drilled a hole in the middle of the bottom one, and superglued it right above the hardtop holes. Havent put the hardtop on yet but it should line up no problem. I only did it because I was hoping it would stop the flapping sound hitting against the soundbar area, but no luck. I dont know the legit way of doing it but thats how I did it. Hope this helps!

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
I actually took the velcro strips that came with it and drilled a hole in the middle of the bottom one, and superglued it right above the hardtop holes. Havent put the hardtop on yet but it should line up no problem. I only did it because I was hoping it would stop the flapping sound hitting against the soundbar area, but no luck. I dont know the legit way of doing it but thats how I did it. Hope this helps!
What are the Velcro strips for?
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Im assuming to hold the web down above the holes, so thats what I did

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
Im assuming to hold the web down above the holes, so thats what I did
I can see that if they had some sort of adhesive on them? Just odd
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
Ruby_Tuesday
2012 JK Wrangler 

The holes on mine didn't line up at all either, I just remove the SWS when I put the top on.
Ruby_Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
LukeTXAG
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have a buddies Spiderweb shade on my JKU right now and will be ordering my own very soon. It was a pain to get on the rear and I took a bungie cord to the face in the process! I didn't worry about lining the holes up because even when I have the hardtop on, I NEVER put those bolts in. I think the only reason to use them is if you are using the freedom tops without the remainder of the hardtop.
LukeTXAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #13
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I don't have one, But would suggest, next time you put it on, drop the bolts through the grommets and then the holes in the sound bar. This will keep them lined up while you attach all the bungees.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:43 AM   #14
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
I don't have one, But would suggest, next time you put it on, drop the bolts through the grommets and then the holes in the sound bar. This will keep them lined up while you attach all the bungees.
Damn, My GF said the same exact thing and it would have been so much easier.

So is it normal to just leave the bolts out? I know most of the holding strength comes from the latches but just seems odd to leave the bolts out?
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ok so I got a call from Chris from spiderweb shade. Excellent guy to deal with. He explained that the velcro patches are supposed to just stick on the shade where the grommets are in the center so that the metal doesn't slap against metal. They are not supposed to hold the holes in place over the sound bar/roll bar just to protect the metal from hitting metal as a cushion. Everything is installed now and perfect......

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.