Ok, Its Official, I'm Back Sahara Tan Sahara Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ok, Its Official, I'm Back Sahara Tan Sahara Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Reply
Unread 03-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #61
shredd_guy
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: minneapolis, mn
Posts: 14
http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/sho...to=62951&cat=4

__________________
2011 Wrangler
Surly 1x1
shredd_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #62
shredd_guy
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: minneapolis, mn
Posts: 14
and again[IMG][/IMG]
__________________
2011 Wrangler
Surly 1x1
shredd_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #63
dvdsjk
Web Wheeler
 
dvdsjk's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredd_guy View Post
and again[IMG][/IMG]
Hey thanks! Nice job. Just recieved the paint today and the license plate relocation bracket (which should have came Friday). I'm going to try it on the spare his week. If it warms up a bit. The garage does have some heat but this weeks weather is cold and snow here!
dvdsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #64
dvdsjk
Web Wheeler
 
dvdsjk's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
I think that 1-1/4" spacers are the shortest that will work with the length of the lugs. Anything less and the lugs will be beyond the spacer.
Looking great
I think your right, and thanks Jim. I gotta tell you we love your avatar. Your pup on the hood cracks us up.
dvdsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #65
shredd_guy
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: minneapolis, mn
Posts: 14
dvdsjk, I was wondering if you could tell me what caps you installed. I am worried about puss and corruption getting into the center of the rim.
__________________
2011 Wrangler
Surly 1x1
shredd_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #66
krutj
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NW Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,330
I don't want to speak for dvdsjk, but if you don't have center caps, a judicious application of never seize is very helpful.

The road salt here in PA, has nearly ruined the castle nuts on my wife's WJ front axles, the caps seemed to hold the salt inside...

I can post pics if you want...
__________________
-- [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Joel[/SIZE][/FONT] --
krutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #67
shredd_guy
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: minneapolis, mn
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
I don't want to speak for dvdsjk, but if you don't have center caps, a judicious application of never seize is very helpful.

The road salt here in PA, has nearly ruined the castle nuts on my wife's WJ front axles, the caps seemed to hold the salt inside...

I can post pics if you want...
Pics would be great if you have the time.. yea i guess i just assumed that i needed caps. but other shots of the wheels like with the overland concept there are zero caps..

what if i made custom ones with a little oring in it to seal against the rim???
__________________
2011 Wrangler
Surly 1x1
shredd_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #68
krutj
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NW Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredd_guy View Post
Pics would be great if you have the time.. yea i guess i just assumed that i needed caps. but other shots of the wheels like with the overland concept there are zero caps..

what if i made custom ones with a little oring in it to seal against the rim???
It'll be an hour or so before mama gets back with her WJ, I will post some salt damage pics for you, both the axle and the rims....

I still think some never seize is a good idea, the darn salt will get behind the rim over a long winter....great white north....lol
__________________
-- [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Joel[/SIZE][/FONT] --
krutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #69
Vin
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,473
I don't want to speak for dvdsjk either, but I asked him before and he posted that he used the center caps for the stock 16 inch steelies "with some modifications"
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #70
shredd_guy
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: minneapolis, mn
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I don't want to speak for dvdsjk either, but I asked him before and he posted that he used the center caps for the stock 16 inch steelies "with some modifications"
Hey i have one of those in the back of my cherokee right now i think. Or are you refering to the steelies that come with a wrangler sport?
__________________
2011 Wrangler
Surly 1x1
shredd_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #71
krutj
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NW Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,330
Here's the pics, first one is the castle nut, pretty eaten up



these are the inside of the rims





The outside still look pretty good, you'd never know how bad the inside is

__________________
-- [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Joel[/SIZE][/FONT] --
krutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #72
Vin
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredd_guy View Post
Hey i have one of those in the back of my cherokee right now i think. Or are you refering to the steelies that come with a wrangler sport?
That is the way I understood it. He had them laying around. The post should be somewhere in this thread.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #73
dvdsjk
Web Wheeler
 
dvdsjk's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,735
I did use the standard steelie caps but I had to cut the tabs from the back. The lugs hold them secure. Also i scrubbed sanded and painted my hubs as recommended by the spacer manufacturer. Even new they had rust. And Joel, we dont use salt here in the other part of Pa. We pour little rocks all over the road. It's sort of like a mini sand blaster for all your painted parts! What a mess!!
dvdsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #74
shredd_guy
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: minneapolis, mn
Posts: 14
holy crap! MN is a salt state so something to look forward to. doesnt look like you can keep it out with anything. Thanks for posting the pics. i appreciate it
__________________
2011 Wrangler
Surly 1x1
shredd_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 05:47 AM   #75
krutj
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NW Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdsjk View Post
I did use the standard steelie caps but I had to cut the tabs from the back. The lugs hold them secure. Also i scrubbed sanded and painted my hubs as recommended by the spacer manufacturer. Even new they had rust. And Joel, we dont use salt here in the other part of Pa. We pour little rocks all over the road. It's sort of like a mini sand blaster for all your painted parts! What a mess!!
I feel your pain...over here the new trick involves the Penndot truck hauling the anti-skid(pea gravel) in the dump bed, and a tank with salt water. The crap has already cracked two of my headlights...one new Hella H-4 upgrade, and a Cibie Z-beam (I'm sick about it too) This is why my grill got painted also, lotsa chips.
__________________
-- [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Joel[/SIZE][/FONT] --
krutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.