Ok, Its Official, I'm Back Sahara Tan Sahara Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ok, Its Official, I'm Back Sahara Tan Sahara Build

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 03-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #61
shredd_guy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/sho...to=62951&cat=4

Unread 03-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #62
shredd_guy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

and again[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #63
dvdsjk
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredd_guy View Post
and again[IMG][/IMG]
Hey thanks! Nice job. Just recieved the paint today and the license plate relocation bracket (which should have came Friday). I'm going to try it on the spare his week. If it warms up a bit. The garage does have some heat but this weeks weather is cold and snow here!
dvdsjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #64
dvdsjk
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
I think that 1-1/4" spacers are the shortest that will work with the length of the lugs. Anything less and the lugs will be beyond the spacer.
Looking great
I think your right, and thanks Jim. I gotta tell you we love your avatar. Your pup on the hood cracks us up.
Unread 03-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #65
shredd_guy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

dvdsjk, I was wondering if you could tell me what caps you installed. I am worried about puss and corruption getting into the center of the rim.
Unread 03-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #66
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

I don't want to speak for dvdsjk, but if you don't have center caps, a judicious application of never seize is very helpful.

The road salt here in PA, has nearly ruined the castle nuts on my wife's WJ front axles, the caps seemed to hold the salt inside...

I can post pics if you want...
Unread 03-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #67
shredd_guy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
I don't want to speak for dvdsjk, but if you don't have center caps, a judicious application of never seize is very helpful.

The road salt here in PA, has nearly ruined the castle nuts on my wife's WJ front axles, the caps seemed to hold the salt inside...

I can post pics if you want...
Pics would be great if you have the time.. yea i guess i just assumed that i needed caps. but other shots of the wheels like with the overland concept there are zero caps..

what if i made custom ones with a little oring in it to seal against the rim???
Unread 03-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #68
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Pics would be great if you have the time.. yea i guess i just assumed that i needed caps. but other shots of the wheels like with the overland concept there are zero caps..

what if i made custom ones with a little oring in it to seal against the rim???
It'll be an hour or so before mama gets back with her WJ, I will post some salt damage pics for you, both the axle and the rims....

I still think some never seize is a good idea, the darn salt will get behind the rim over a long winter....great white north....lol
Unread 03-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #69
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

I don't want to speak for dvdsjk either, but I asked him before and he posted that he used the center caps for the stock 16 inch steelies "with some modifications"
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #70
shredd_guy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I don't want to speak for dvdsjk either, but I asked him before and he posted that he used the center caps for the stock 16 inch steelies "with some modifications"
Hey i have one of those in the back of my cherokee right now i think. Or are you refering to the steelies that come with a wrangler sport?
Unread 03-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #71
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Here's the pics, first one is the castle nut, pretty eaten up

these are the inside of the rims

The outside still look pretty good, you'd never know how bad the inside is

Unread 03-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #72
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey i have one of those in the back of my cherokee right now i think. Or are you refering to the steelies that come with a wrangler sport?
That is the way I understood it. He had them laying around. The post should be somewhere in this thread.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #73
dvdsjk
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

I did use the standard steelie caps but I had to cut the tabs from the back. The lugs hold them secure. Also i scrubbed sanded and painted my hubs as recommended by the spacer manufacturer. Even new they had rust. And Joel, we dont use salt here in the other part of Pa. We pour little rocks all over the road. It's sort of like a mini sand blaster for all your painted parts! What a mess!!
Unread 03-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #74
shredd_guy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

holy crap! MN is a salt state so something to look forward to. doesnt look like you can keep it out with anything. Thanks for posting the pics. i appreciate it
Unread 03-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #75
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdsjk View Post
I did use the standard steelie caps but I had to cut the tabs from the back. The lugs hold them secure. Also i scrubbed sanded and painted my hubs as recommended by the spacer manufacturer. Even new they had rust. And Joel, we dont use salt here in the other part of Pa. We pour little rocks all over the road. It's sort of like a mini sand blaster for all your painted parts! What a mess!!
I feel your pain...over here the new trick involves the Penndot truck hauling the anti-skid(pea gravel) in the dump bed, and a tank with salt water. The crap has already cracked two of my headlights...one new Hella H-4 upgrade, and a Cibie Z-beam (I'm sick about it too) This is why my grill got painted also, lotsa chips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.