Oil Sensor questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil Sensor questions

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 04-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
twmattox

Oil Sensor questions

Ok, so I asked a couple questions last time I changed the oil (IN DECEMBER!!!).

I am approaching 9,500 miles since my last oil change. I have called the dealer. They are insistent that I not change it until the sensor indicates.

This made me nervous so I contacted Chrysler. They indicate to not go over 8,000 miles. They were insistent that I not "reset" the oil indicator (the whole key to start 3-pushes on the gas thing). And that I change the oil again when the light indicates (even if it is really really low mileage).

I am confused by this stupid thing and am seriously debating just going with 5k interval like I have always done.

twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

There is no harm in changing your oil "too soon". However, damage and wear could result from changing it too late. It's your choice.
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

8000 is less than 9500 or "until the sensor goes off," so I'd change it now. For warranty purposes I'd change it next time around +6,500 - but after that I'd go back to every 8000 as it says in the book. I'd consider documenting that your dealer said not to change the oil at 9,500 for your records.

However, there is absolutely no need to go to 5000, this isn't the 1960's.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Call me old-fashioned, but I've always changed mine in new vehicles at 1,000, 3,000 & 5,000. Break-in periods are important to me for the long term life of ANY moving parts...overkill is a good thing!

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Todays motors build sludge. I would never go that far. They run alot hotter than in the 60's. todays motors run in the 200+ range. Out here In Hell pluss off road alot, can be very dusty. I change it 3500 no matter. Yea it cost more. I do not care. pluss my DiC goes off at 3500 anyway.
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I change every 100 hrs of operation. Since most drivers avg about 50 mph on a long term basis that would be 5k miles. For me 100 hrs accounts for long off road periods that can be as low as 2k miles between changes. It also comes from my experience with heavy equipment maintenance
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

There are very few scenarios where early changing is detrimental (older flat tappet engines need zinc and overchanging washes zinc off the cam so you NEED to wait until 3K and use high zinc oil). Personally I would not go over 7500 on a change on these newer engines...
Unread 04-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
I change every 100 hrs of operation. Since most drivers avg about 50 mph on a long term basis that would be 5k miles. For me 100 hrs accounts for long off road periods that can be as low as 2k miles between changes. It also comes from my experience with heavy equipment maintenance
Engine hours is a much more sensible indicator of use than mileage.
For those interested, the JK has an hours meter built into the trip computer. Its worth monitoring.

I'm surprised the OP's OCI never went off. Makes me wonder if its even working.

I have always wondered if old-time habits like pumping the gas before starting the engine cause some folks to accidentally reset their OCI.

I follow my OCI like I follow my GPS. That is right up until it stops making sense.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
twmattox

I have no idea why the OCI never went off. Back in December, I changed the oil "early". Hit 5,000 mile mark and my wife was taking a long trip so I figured I would change it. About half way into the trip, she called and said the Jeep was telling her to Change Oil. She got home and I "reset" the thing.

I guess my big question now is if I change at 5,000 do I reset the sensor, or do I have to wait for it to indicate a change is needed before I reset it? Chrysler says to not reset it. And insists that I change the oil again when the sensor goes off. This seems really odd...

And, the dealer is still insisting I not change it yet.
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twmattox View Post
I have no idea why the OCI never went off. Back in December, I changed the oil "early". Hit 5,000 mile mark and my wife was taking a long trip so I figured I would change it. About half way into the trip, she called and said the Jeep was telling her to Change Oil. She got home and I "reset" the thing.

I guess my big question now is if I change at 5,000 do I reset the sensor, or do I have to wait for it to indicate a change is needed before I reset it? Chrysler says to not reset it. And insists that I change the oil again when the sensor goes off. This seems really odd...

And, the dealer is still insisting I not change it yet.
Always reset it after an actual change. That way it CAN remind you if it needs a shorter cycle next time. Chrysler is giving you a standard response that covers your butt even IF it assumes you are air heading it. (Be surprised how many people swear they changed it and didn't or swear they did not reset the minder and did - even accidentally). Just like taking medicine - read the "if you forget a dose" instructions!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.