Oil Leak - Crankshaft Seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil Leak - Crankshaft Seal

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 11-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
UTKJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Oil Leak - Crankshaft Seal

I've had a leak in my '07 JK since I got it 2 years ago.

It looses about a quart a month, so about a year ago we changed out the rear main seal. No luck, still leaks at about the same pace.

After further investigation, it looked to be the crankshaft seal (front seal). So we changed it. It gave us some issues, and we had to change about 2-3 times. But it's still leaking.

Question - Any tricks to getting the seal in without it leaking? We applied oil to the seal an lightly tapped it in with a screw driver. I've read some posts (not for JK's specifically) were a socket was used to push it back into place. Does anyone know what size sock can be used for a JK? Once the seal is in location, does anything else need to be done (e.g. RTV)?

UTKJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Have you cleaned all oil residue off and look for it to come back, possibly from a source higher than the crankshaft?
Unread 11-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
JeepNewb
2007 JK Wrangler 

If you see it pooling by, and then dripping from your bell housing dust cover it could be the timing chain cover. There was a problem in the 07's with Chrysler using a porous timing chain cover material. It creates a leak that seems to pool by the bell housing. There is info on it if you search and in the TSB.

Had mine replaced earlier this year.
JeepNewb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
UTKJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Where do you buy a timing chain cover? Would an Advanced Auto or Auto Zone carry that or is that a dealership item?
Unread 11-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTKJK View Post
Where do you buy a timing chain cover? Would an Advanced Auto or Auto Zone carry that or is that a dealership item?
link
Unread 11-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNewb
If you see it pooling by, and then dripping from your bell housing dust cover it could be the timing chain cover. There was a problem in the 07's with Chrysler using a porous timing chain cover material. It creates a leak that seems to pool by the bell housing. There is info on it if you search and in the TSB. Had mine replaced earlier this year.
Here's the TSB

http://project-jk.com/images/tsb/TSB_09-008-07.pdf
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #7
NIUPonyBoy
2007 JK Wrangler 

subscribing as I am SURE I will need this later.
Unread 11-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
UTKJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

We're going to try to change the seal again.

1. When setting the seal, how far back should we push it?
Can pushing it too far or far enough cause it to leak?

2. Anyone know the size of socket that you can use to push the seal in?

3. If it is the timing chain cover, where will I notice the leak coming from?
Right now I'm sure it's coming from the crankshaft seal, because the pulley is throwing it all over the place. And it wasn't doing that before I changed tht seal.
I actually found oil ONTOP of my hood. From the tracks, it looks like it was slung on the tire, which slung it on the tire fender, and the wind blew it up on the hood.
Unread 11-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #9
2008 JK Wrangler 

use a socket that is the same size as the metal ring of the seal. Spring always goes towards the oil.
870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.