Oil Filter Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil Filter Issues

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 12-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
drjlambert
2013 JK Wrangler 

Oil Filter Issues

Oil and filter change done at Burt Bros in Salt Lake, Filter not clipped into oil filter housing cap. Caused low oil pressure and failure of the oil pump. Not covered under warranty, out $703.16. Is this even a possible outcome?

drjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
fitzz47
2013 JK Wrangler 

If they changed the oil, its there fault
Unread 12-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlambert View Post
Oil and filter change done at Burt Bros in Salt Lake, Filter not clipped into oil filter housing cap. Caused low oil pressure and failure of the oil pump. Not covered under warranty, out $703.16. Is this even a possible outcome?
Burt Bros did the work? If they did it wrong, they are liable. It's not a warranty issue, it is a guarantee issue.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Take a look at this sticky it may help you out. Sticky: 2012 and up JK oil filters: Be careful what you buy.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
drjlambert
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for your input. I need some clarification. Proper filter was chosen and used, however my question is, if the filter was not clipped into the oil filter housing cap, would that cause low oil pressure and because of that, the oil pump to fail?
Unread 12-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
drjlambert
2013 JK Wrangler 

Oil Pump Followup

Thanks everyone for your input. I need some clarification. Proper filter was chosen and used, however my question is, if the filter was not clipped into the oil filter housing cap, would that cause low oil pressure and because of that, the oil pump to fail?
Unread 12-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

I work in the insurance industry and my prior company used to insure a lot of auto service risks. Tire shops, quick lube places, garages that serviced corporate fleets, etc. Mistakes happen all the time, but that is why they have insurance. Go talk to the shop, let them know what happened, and they should take care of you.

Their negligence caused your property to become damaged. Legally, they are obligated to fix your property. Most businesses choose to purchase insurance to cover them in situations like this.
Unread 12-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlambert View Post
hope someone knows more than i do will answer, but i don't think so. it seems to me you would get 100% of the filtering capacity of the filter but how would that starve the oil pump? don't think there is enough room for the filter to move enough to stop oil flow. how did you mange to not seize the engine?
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.