Oil drain plug stuck :/ Go back to dealer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil drain plug stuck :/ Go back to dealer?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Oil drain plug stuck :/ Go back to dealer?

Well I tried changing my oil yesterday, and the oil plug was WAY over torqued. I mean I broke out the breaker bar and my 13mm socket got ripped apart... I got a better socket from my dad, and the bolt head looked like it was going to get torn off when I tried again so I stopped not wanting to screw up my oil pan. I'v done plenty of oil changes and never seen a oil plug this tight.

I bought my Jeep from an Infiniti dealer who changed the oil before I bought it. I also took it in for two engine gasket changes at a Jeep dealer two weeks ago. Should I take it back to the Jeep dealer? I don't want to try doing it myself in fear of stripping something and causing damage I can't afford to get fixed.

Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
YellowDuck
2008 JK Wrangler 

Definitely! Tell them to put it up on the lift and loosen it, and you aren't paying boo. If they strip it they can drill it out and tap and put in a new one. While you are at it you might like to see first if you can turn the oil filter - chances are it is on stupid tight as well.

This is one of my pet peeves. What do you want to bet some moron tightened the drain plug with an impact wrench? Another of my favourites is when they put the wheel lug nuts on so tight that they can't be removed by a 200-lb mn standing on the factory lug wrench. Exactly what are you supposed to do then when you get a flat?

Once when I was getting tires I actually handed the service manager the lug wrench when the car was ready, and said "have your boy check that he can loosen the wheel nuts with this". Of course they couldn't so I made them back them all off and tighten them by hand with the lug wrench!
YellowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thankfully, the oil filter is good to go. I don't even want to think of how much torque was put on this drain plug if it's stuck to the point where it's breaking sockets.

Last time I changed tires, I had to stick a 8 foot metal pipe around my tire wrench to get enough torque to get the bolts off :/
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.