Oil change controversy? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil change controversy?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #31
sieg
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by santagary View Post
A famous Indy champion, friend and neighbor of mine never changes oil once he starts using synthetic...he only changes the filters and then tops off!
His engines will last as long as the people that think they are smarter than the manufactures engineers and change there oil at low mileage. Todays oils and engines are so good that the important thing is to just have oil in then.

sieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #32
fastfreddie

Clean oil.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #33
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
I really donít understand all the paranoid thinking of changing the oil for the first time. Todayís engines are so far advanced in the makeup of materials and design that the old school thinking of oil changes has gone the route of the dinosaurs. Just follow the manufactures recommended advice and all will be fine. Donít over think it.
I changed the oil in my 2013 JK for the first time at 9500 miles simply because the light hadn't come on yet and the owners manual tells you to NOT EXCEED 10,000 miles but change the oil within 500 miles of the light coming on. I have changed the oil every 5000 miles after that original oil change, and the light has never come on.

Mike
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #34
Cropduster23
2012 JK Wrangler 

I change my oil every 3k. My dad always did this and has had several vehicles make it well over 400k miles without any internal engine issues. I have a 1997 astro van that has in excess of 300k miles with no issues. While it may not be necessary to change every 3k in my 2012 Jeep, I figure that clean oil and a fresh filter certainly won't hurt. It costs me $21.74 to change my oil. Pretty cheap insurance if you ask me.
Cropduster23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #35
docbud
The Mac Lover

2013 JK Wrangler 

I just got my '13 back in August and had the first oil change last month at 2,000 miles.

I lease it, and the dealer says that I have to have it changed every 3,000 miles or 3 months--whichever comes first. Which kinda sucks because I only drive around 7,500 miles a year. So I'll be changing it every 1,800 miles or so. And they claim that I *should* rotate the tires every time I have an oil change--which I will not do. I did have them rotated last month, but I can't see rotating tires four times a year. It's bad enough that they want me to have the oil changed four times a year when I hardly put any miles on my Jeep.

But then again, most of my driving is stop and go, but I would think that three times a year for oil changes should suffice. I'm going to go back through my paperwork and see if I actually have to do every 3,000 miles or 3 months--whichever comes first.

EDIT TO ADD: And what amazes me is that when the dealer does the oil change, they don't even bother to top off fluids or do that 21-point inspection thing. That costs extra. My sister works for a Lincoln/Mercury dealership and I used to bring my '06 there quite a bit. They do the free 21-point inspection with oil changes and they top off all fluids and lube everything. Something the Jeep dealership does not do.
Unread 12-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #36
pineaur

I agree with CropDuster ...
pineaur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #37
Wubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have a 3.6 in my company van. The leasing company won't let me change oil until the light comes on or 10000 miles.

First change was 10200, second was 20000ish. I will have it until 3 years or 70000. We will see if there are any problems. I did 22k in the first year.

My JK has a 3.8. It used to pop at about 4k. Since I started towing a lot it pops at 2k. Last time was 1800 but the oil still looked clean and no real towing was done so I reset it.

I'll follow the lights unless its less than 2k and the oil is clean.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Wubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #38
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubicon
I have a 3.6 in my company van. The leasing company won't let me change oil until the light comes on or 10000 miles. First change was 10200, second was 20000ish. I will have it until 3 years or 70000. We will see if there are any problems. I did 22k in the first year. My JK has a 3.8. It used to pop at about 4k. Since I started towing a lot it pops at 2k. Last time was 1800 but the oil still looked clean and no real towing was done so I reset it. I'll follow the lights unless its less than 2k and the oil is clean. Sent from AutoGuide.com App
If you're using a better-name brand synthetic you can likely double those real short (2k) OCIs without any issue.

I follow the OLM mine, or I would if I didn't hit the 6 month limit first (which I usually do).
I'm stuck with the 6k/6mon max intervals on my 08 because I have the lifetime warranty. I'm sure I'm draining perfectly good M1 after only 4-5k miles in the six month period. Probably has half it's life left.

A 2-3k miles drain interval is pretty much a waste unless the usage (duty cycle) is so very severe that it warrants it. (Which it may very well do, as indicated by your experience towing) but remember the JKs OLM is geared toward an average conventional oil and is set up pretty conservatively at that.
Just measuring miles isn't even half the story. Too simplistic.

(Wubicon, Don't forget about your rear diff!)
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #39
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbud View Post
I just got my '13 back in August and had the first oil change last month at 2,000 miles.

I lease it, and the dealer says that I have to have it changed every 3,000 miles or 3 months--whichever comes first. Which kinda sucks because I only drive around 7,500 miles a year. So I'll be changing it every 1,800 miles or so. And they claim that I *should* rotate the tires every time I have an oil change--which I will not do. I did have them rotated last month, but I can't see rotating tires four times a year. It's bad enough that they want me to have the oil changed four times a year when I hardly put any miles on my Jeep.

But then again, most of my driving is stop and go, but I would think that three times a year for oil changes should suffice. I'm going to go back through my paperwork and see if I actually have to do every 3,000 miles or 3 months--whichever comes first.

EDIT TO ADD: And what amazes me is that when the dealer does the oil change, they don't even bother to top off fluids or do that 21-point inspection thing. That costs extra. My sister works for a Lincoln/Mercury dealership and I used to bring my '06 there quite a bit. They do the free 21-point inspection with oil changes and they top off all fluids and lube everything. Something the Jeep dealership does not do.
i don't think the dealership can supercede the manual. but if you are doing a lot of short distance driving, that is the interval i would use.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #40
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

op, i did my first oil and filter change at 3000 miles. my oci is between 6and 7000 miles using penzoil platinum. this well with i the spec of the owners manual. my 11 owners manual states "not to exceed 8000 miles". the type of driving and if you wheel should determine if you need to change more often. i am old guy from the days of 3000 oci. things such as engines and oil have improved much since i started driving in 73.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #41
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJKU14 View Post
I would look in my owners manual except it's just a CD and I haven't loaded it onto my computer yet. Thanks for the super helpful info though!
The manual has a lot of great info in it. You should take the time to go through it. I did think saying "check the manual" was also a very helpful thing to suggest to do. You may of not thought about it.

I changed my oil at 5k for the first time and every 10k after that with 5w-20 Mobile 1 and an extended Wix oil filter. I know the filter doesn't apply to the new Pentastar engine.
Unread 12-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #42
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy
i don't think the dealership can supercede the manual. but if you are doing a lot of short distance driving, that is the interval i would use.
He's leasing. Could be a requirement under the lease but I'm just guessing. But if it isn't then I'm with you, follow the manual.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #43
nh1nh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 715racing View Post
T

I had 246,000 miles on the original 4.0 in my '94 stick (from the factory) Grand Cherokee, and it still ran great. And 153,000 on a Liberty Diesel, with zero engine problems on either one. Followed the manuals, changed the oil when they said to, and used what Jeep recommended.

That's exactly what I am going to do with my '13 Rubicon, and expect to get a hell of a lot of miles with no engine problems.

Sometimes over-thinking things will get ya into trouble.
good post

How often did you change your difs and trans on those high mileage vehicles? Have a 13 want to own it for a long time
nh1nh1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 03:22 AM   #44
wmshay6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 715racing
That's because honda knows nothing about engines. All they know how to do is copy others designs...like all the other jap manufacturers. They design nothing, but they love to copy, change it a teeny tiny little bit, then claim it as their own. Soapbox over.
Ha Ha Ha! Talk Out of your a . . errrr ear much? That comment is a true display of ignorance if I ever saw one!

if it werent for the japanese, americans would still be building pushrod engines and vvt would be unheard of! they ate our lunch in the 80's and 90's for a reason!
wmshay6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 03:46 AM   #45
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Letís try to keep this discussion somewhat friendly guys. Thanks.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.