oil change button reset? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > oil change button reset?

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 09-06-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
wranglerofjeeps
2013 JK Wrangler 

oil change button reset?

I'm currently out right now with no access to my manual, or I'd check that first.

My problem is: the oil change required indication came on this morning on my 2013 jk. Now I just changed my oil 1500 miles ago and know its not time. Does anyone know if there is an internal reset for this indication, or is it coming up because a few sensors tripped?

Thanks!

wranglerofjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
Border
2010 JK Wrangler 

this is the 2010 procedure don't know if they changed it:

Unless reset, this message will continue to display each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position. To turn off the message temporarily, press and release the Trip Odometer button on the instrument cluster. To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance), refer to the following procedure:
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start the engine).
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary repeat this procedure.
Border is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 04:46 AM   #3
wranglerofjeeps
2013 JK Wrangler 

Great, thanks so much. This is why I love this forum!

Do you happen to know if the indicator was tripped by sensors, or it automatically gets turned on after a set number of miles?
Unread 09-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
Border
2010 JK Wrangler 

Don't know

The dealer told me it has a sensor but I guess it's both miles and sensor.
After my first oil change it came on after 1500 km again I rested it and now it looks like it shows up every 12.000 km
Border is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
rock-rocker
I Love Wheelin'

2013 JK Wrangler 

What I understand the ECM (Engine Control Module) takes into consideration a few parameters (idleing time, stop and go, highway speed, run hours, miles driven, etc.) that counts the clock down for the oil life. It's amazing what that ECM does/keeps in memory. I know the insurance companies would love to be able to tap into that information after an accident to be able to determine at the time of the accident like air bag deployment, speed, seat belt wearing, braking and mucho, mucho more... I have only 3,000 on my 2013 JKU and I changed the oil a few miles ago and I went thru the reset procedure even though I didn't have the "Change" indicator showing and I'm hoping it reset back to 0. We'll find out. I'm a creature of habit and change it at 3,000 miles anyway using good oil and filter.
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
mello

Newer vehicles can get tapped into and do on many occasions after a wreck. This is mostly done by the police force but if vehicle was involved in a high speed collision they can tell what speed you were going, where you on or off the brakes, were you on the throttle and how much, were you attempting to steer away from wreck, and several other key pieces of info.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Newer vehicles can get tapped into and do on many occasions after a wreck. This is mostly done by the police force but if vehicle was involved in a high speed collision they can tell what speed you were going, where you on or off the brakes, were you on the throttle and how much, were you attempting to steer away from wreck, and several other key pieces of info.
Of course big brother knows. They wont stop until everyone has a bug in their ***
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

The event monitor supposedly only keeps about 5seconds in memory for crash-review. There's something in the manuals about it, if I remember correctly. (on mobile now, can't check)

Some insurance companies offer (?) a discount if you use an OBDII plug-in module that records all the info. I think "patents" can get then privately to keep track of kids' driving habits.

Back to original topic.

You have to reset the OCI at every oil change regardless of it having triggered a warning or not.

It is not mileage based. Nor does it have any sensors directly testing the oil. It is an algorithm that takes into account many parameters that affect oil life. There are threads on the parameters, the actual algorithm is proprietary.

It is designed for conventional oils and is considered to be pretty conservative. one thing it doesn't account for is extremely dusty conditions.

Edit typo: that should be "parents"!!!
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons

Of course big brother knows. They wont stop until everyone has a bug in their ***
This is why I drive my JK with a tin foil hat and underwear.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
mello

Also info can be directly retrieved from specific modules (abs for example) that you can't retrieve from OBD 2 port. Like black box info on an airplane.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Funny how people can feel that 10 seconds of stored data is a violation of their "privacy" (how private is the speed of your travel, turn signal state, position of brakes etc on a public hiway? Do you have a kill switch on the brake lights to keep brake use a secret?) - but would tap that data in a second to use it in suing the maker for injury they feel was the vehicles fault...
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
LoneWolf
2009 JK Wrangler 

Jwmbishop, folks' attitude probably has to do with the fact that most of the time, the insurance companies are seeking the information in an effort to deny a claim. The AP ran an extensive story on the phenomenon a few years ago.

2009 JKX - Stock, for now ...
My videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKB...AoLi1Zg/videos
LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Jwmbishop, usually the people who value their privacy are not the ones who bring frivolous lawsuits.
Unread 09-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #14
wranglerofjeeps
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post

It is not mileage based. Nor does it have any sensors directly testing the oil. It is an algorithm that takes into account many parameters that affect oil life. There are threads on the parameters, the actual algorithm is proprietary.
Thanks! Being that I did not reset it my last two oil changes, I was afraid that if it were in fact sensing different characteristics of the oil, something had went wrong - being that its only been 1500 miles since my last change.
Unread 09-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the reminder! I just changed the oil on my 2012 and forgot to reset that.
I'm a create of habit as well, every 3k miles I change the oil and filter, remove/grease driveshafts, rotate tires, grease all front end components and check torque on the suspension/steering components.

On a couple of longer the oil change message came on at 3500-4500 miles.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.