Oil change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil change

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 02-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Oil change

I know I have to change my oil based on mileage. However last time I had changed it I had put in full synthetic to get my moneys worth. I am about 200 miles over when I should change it however the oil change hasnt come on yet. Doesnt the jeep measure viscosity for the oil change light to come on?

toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
MeatCurtains
2012 JK Wrangler 

I don't think it does. How many miles do you go between oil changes normally. I think the light counts 8k or something odd ball.
MeatCurtains is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatCurtains View Post
I don't think it does. How many miles do you go between oil changes normally. I think the light counts 8k or something odd ball.
i try to do 5 or whenever the light comes up. Reading some places though the light turns on based on oil viscosity i belie and i dont want to change my oil prematurely and not get my moneys worth. Maybe though it does come on at 8k miles?
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
kik

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post
I know I have to change my oil based on mileage. However last time I had changed it I had put in full synthetic to get my moneys worth. I am about 200 miles over when I should change it however the oil change hasnt come on yet. Doesnt the jeep measure viscosity for the oil change light to come on?
It doesn't. The light is based upon a computer algorithm. It's "duty" based. The computer doesn't analyze the oil that's why Chrysler has a disclaimer in the manual regarding a "do not exceed" and "severe duty" and at a minimum "twice" per year or at least "once" per year with the 2013. If your "maximum" is 8,000 it should be changed.
kik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

I go 10k between changes with Mobil One. I have 94k miles on the 07 JKU and the oil change reminder has come on 4 times.
Synthetic is designed to go that far and would most likely make it further. Mobil One's website suggests it's good for 15k miles.
I think changing syn oil at 5k is a waste of money.
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ya thats what im trying to avoid, wasting money. Now i run mobil one since thats what was available and has numerous good reviews. but how does it compare to Rotella, I use Rotella in my classic.
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post
Ya thats what im trying to avoid, wasting money. Now i run mobil one since thats what was available and has numerous good reviews. but how does it compare to Rotella, I use Rotella in my classic.
Isn't Rotella intended for Diesel?
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kik View Post
It doesn't. The light is based upon a computer algorithm. It's "duty" based. The computer doesn't analyze the oil that's why Chrysler has a disclaimer in the manual regarding a "do not exceed" and "severe duty" and at a minimum "twice" per year or at least "once" per year with the 2013. If your "maximum" is 8,000 it should be changed.
This is correct, It is based on how many cold starts, average speed (Stop and go vs sustained speed), driving habits among other things that affect oil life.
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
durable1
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you're using synthetic I believe you are wasting your money if you change it too often, But if that's what floats your boat...
durable1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

it's a very dependable system-

Almost as useful as the TPMS --

My "Change Oil" light hasn't comeon in over 11,000 miles-

I'm waiting forit ()

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
Oil is oil. For my classic though rotella has all the molecules or what ever that it needs where as regular oil doesnt. My dad runs it in his 2500 hemi and brother runs it in his 2000 f250, no issues what so ever
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
montero1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Rotella T-6

Lots of folks run it in their motorcycles as well, can't beat the performance for the price.
montero1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
MeatCurtains
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
He isn't the first person I've heard of running oil made for diesel engines. A guy once said there is a high zinc content and it helps prevent wear. But anymore the damn emissions board worked hard to take out anti wear agents because I guess it messes with the DPF
MeatCurtains is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
Mello03
2013 JK Wrangler 

Why would you want to run Rotella? I don't even think you can get it in 5w30 which is what your 3.6 calls for. I have never seen it in this weight and and only in a 10w30, but most diesels call for 15w40 or a 5w40 if running syn. You can run a 10w but IMO you're only limiting flow at cold start ups.
Mello03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

All oils are not created equally. That rotella has stuff in it that not only won't help your engine, it could cause problems for emissions equipment. There's a reason zinc content in modern gasoline engine oil is so low compared to diesel and old gas engine oil.

I run Rotella or Mobil Delvac in my Corvette because the flat tappet cam needs the zinc. I'll never put it in a modern car.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.