Oil analysis results from Blackstone. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil analysis results from Blackstone.

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
BacasJK
2011 JK Wrangler 

Oil analysis results from Blackstone.

Got my results using Mobil 1 0-40w and the Mobil 1 filter. It shows high
copper, but I'm satisfied.
Quieter, smoother running and some days, drive it like my *** is on fire in crazy Dallas traffic.
Sorry if the pic is too big.

Martin

Mine: 2011 2dr. blk. Rubicon.
Hers: 2011 2dr. slvr. Rubicon.

11-wrangler-102213-1.jpg  
BacasJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacasJK
Got my results using Mobil 1 0-40w and the Mobil 1 filter. It shows high copper, but I'm satisfied. Quieter, smoother running and some days, drive it like my *** is on fire in crazy Dallas traffic. Sorry if the pic is too big. Martin Mine: 2011 2dr. blk. Rubicon. Hers: 2011 2dr. slvr. Rubicon.
Nice. Some of those minerals might be from dusty air getting past the filter. Do much desert driving?

I'm curious why you use the 0/40 grade instead of xW/20 or 30?
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
BacasJK
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
Nice. Some of those minerals might be from dusty air getting past the filter. Do much desert driving?

I'm curious why you use the 0/40 grade instead of xW/20 or 30?
Actually, Blackstone will mention it if my air filter is dirty, by the finding tiny grains of dirt or sand in the sample of oil and also showing excessive bearing wear. I did have that problem in my Dodge Dakota using a K&N filter. I kept that filter clean religously and it still kept showing up in my oil analysis. I went to a AFE ProDry filter, no oiling, problem went away.
The reason I don't use the 5-20w or 0-30w? I used the 0-40w in both our bimmers and liked it. Why not our Jeeps?

Martin
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
spinlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacasJK View Post
Actually, Blackstone will mention it if my air filter is dirty, by the finding tiny grains of dirt or sand in the sample of oil and also showing excessive bearing wear. I did have that problem in my Dodge Dakota using a K&N filter. I kept that filter clean religously and it still kept showing up in my oil analysis. I went to a AFE ProDry filter, no oiling, problem went away.
The reason I don't use the 5-20w or 0-30w? I used the 0-40w in both our bimmers and liked it. Why not our Jeeps?

Martin
One good reason is that Bimmers are cars and Jeeps are not.

The application between the two vehicles is very different as well as the engine design, particularly if you push both to the extremes of their environment.

Interesting experience with the K&N vs AFE filters
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
BacasJK
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlock View Post
One good reason is that Bimmers are cars and Jeeps are not.

The application between the two vehicles is very different as well as the engine design, particularly if you push both to the extremes of their environment.

Interesting experience with the K&N vs AFE filters
Relax man, I know they are two different vehicles.

Actually, started using the 0-40w in my truck way before the BMWs.It would quiet down the ticking noise at start up and the 40w was better in Texas heat.

To each his own on what type of oil to use.
Unread 10-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Relax man, I know they are two different vehicles.

Actually, started using the 0-40w in my truck way before the BMWs.It would quiet down the ticking noise at start up and the 40w was better in Texas heat.

To each his own on what type of oil to use.
Yup, to each his own. I'm just interested in other folks' experiences.

Curious though, I wouldn't think the 0w at start up would help any start up tick. At least not compared to a 5w or 10w.

As for the Texas heat, whether it's 80 or 120 out shouldn't make all that much difference to the oil temp in an engine at operating temps.
My only concern would be for the bottom end of the 3.8, it relies on oil splash for lube and cooling. But I doubt it makes too much difference.
Unread 10-31-2013, 03:11 AM   #7
Cosmobull
2012 JK Wrangler 

How much does this service cost and how do you send it there?
Cosmobull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yea 0w-40 might be good but, to me sticking with whats called for can't be bad when you consider that Jeep has probably tried every viscosity and found 5w-20 to work best all around.
Unread 11-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
BacasJK
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmobull View Post
How much does this service cost and how do you send it there?
$25.00. Go to www.blackstone-labs.com and get their free oil analysis kit.
Follow the instructions and send a sample to them. It's pretty easy.

Martin
Unread 11-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
BacasJK
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
Yup, to each his own. I'm just interested in other folks' experiences.

Curious though, I wouldn't think the 0w at start up would help any start up tick. At least not compared to a 5w or 10w.

As for the Texas heat, whether it's 80 or 120 out shouldn't make all that much difference to the oil temp in an engine at operating temps.
My only concern would be for the bottom end of the 3.8, it relies on oil splash for lube and cooling. But I doubt it makes too much difference.
Well, according to Blackstone, looks like my engine is running nicely. In others words, average or better than average wear on the bearings.
Oil splash? LOL That's not how it really lubricates and cools.
I'm assuming you add two or more extra quarts to your engine so it "splashes" all over the crank, rods and somehow the bearings?
Lets stop there and just enjoy the info I posted or on to the next.

Martin
Unread 11-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, according to Blackstone, looks like my engine is running nicely. In others words, average or better than average wear on the bearings. Oil splash? LOL That's not how it really lubricates and cools. I'm assuming you add two or more extra quarts to your engine so it "splashes" all over the crank, rods and somehow the bearings? Lets stop there and just enjoy the info I posted or on to the next. Martin
OK, whatever you say there

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.