JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Oil analysis results from Blackstone. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/oil-analysis-results-blackstone-1737242/)

BacasJK 10-29-2013 06:10 PM

Oil analysis results from Blackstone.
 
1 Attachment(s)
Got my results using Mobil 1 0-40w and the Mobil 1 filter. It shows high
copper, but I'm satisfied. :2thumbsup:
Quieter, smoother running and some days, drive it like my *** is on fire in crazy Dallas traffic.
Sorry if the pic is too big.

Martin

Mine: 2011 2dr. blk. Rubicon.
Hers: 2011 2dr. slvr. Rubicon.

Jiblet 10-29-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BacasJK
Got my results using Mobil 1 0-40w and the Mobil 1 filter. It shows high copper, but I'm satisfied. :2thumbsup: Quieter, smoother running and some days, drive it like my *** is on fire in crazy Dallas traffic. Sorry if the pic is too big. Martin Mine: 2011 2dr. blk. Rubicon. Hers: 2011 2dr. slvr. Rubicon.

Nice. Some of those minerals might be from dusty air getting past the filter. Do much desert driving?

I'm curious why you use the 0/40 grade instead of xW/20 or 30?

BacasJK 10-29-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiblet (Post 17271482)
Nice. Some of those minerals might be from dusty air getting past the filter. Do much desert driving?

I'm curious why you use the 0/40 grade instead of xW/20 or 30?

Actually, Blackstone will mention it if my air filter is dirty, by the finding tiny grains of dirt or sand in the sample of oil and also showing excessive bearing wear. I did have that problem in my Dodge Dakota using a K&N filter. I kept that filter clean religously and it still kept showing up in my oil analysis. I went to a AFE ProDry filter, no oiling, problem went away.
The reason I don't use the 5-20w or 0-30w? I used the 0-40w in both our bimmers and liked it. Why not our Jeeps?

Martin

spinlock 10-29-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BacasJK (Post 17272586)
Actually, Blackstone will mention it if my air filter is dirty, by the finding tiny grains of dirt or sand in the sample of oil and also showing excessive bearing wear. I did have that problem in my Dodge Dakota using a K&N filter. I kept that filter clean religously and it still kept showing up in my oil analysis. I went to a AFE ProDry filter, no oiling, problem went away.
The reason I don't use the 5-20w or 0-30w? I used the 0-40w in both our bimmers and liked it. Why not our Jeeps?

Martin

One good reason is that Bimmers are cars and Jeeps are not. :)

The application between the two vehicles is very different as well as the engine design, particularly if you push both to the extremes of their environment.

Interesting experience with the K&N vs AFE filters

BacasJK 10-30-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinlock (Post 17278825)
One good reason is that Bimmers are cars and Jeeps are not. :)

The application between the two vehicles is very different as well as the engine design, particularly if you push both to the extremes of their environment.

Interesting experience with the K&N vs AFE filters

Relax man, I know they are two different vehicles. :rofl:

Actually, started using the 0-40w in my truck way before the BMWs.It would quiet down the ticking noise at start up and the 40w was better in Texas heat.

To each his own on what type of oil to use.

Jiblet 10-30-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BacasJK

Relax man, I know they are two different vehicles. :rofl:

Actually, started using the 0-40w in my truck way before the BMWs.It would quiet down the ticking noise at start up and the 40w was better in Texas heat.

To each his own on what type of oil to use.

Yup, to each his own. I'm just interested in other folks' experiences.

Curious though, I wouldn't think the 0w at start up would help any start up tick. At least not compared to a 5w or 10w.

As for the Texas heat, whether it's 80 or 120 out shouldn't make all that much difference to the oil temp in an engine at operating temps.
My only concern would be for the bottom end of the 3.8, it relies on oil splash for lube and cooling. But I doubt it makes too much difference.

Cosmobull 10-31-2013 03:11 AM

How much does this service cost and how do you send it there?

blackjeep05 10-31-2013 08:35 AM

Yea 0w-40 might be good but, to me sticking with whats called for can't be bad when you consider that Jeep has probably tried every viscosity and found 5w-20 to work best all around.

BacasJK 11-03-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmobull (Post 17312234)
How much does this service cost and how do you send it there?

$25.00. Go to www.blackstone-labs.com and get their free oil analysis kit.
Follow the instructions and send a sample to them. It's pretty easy.

Martin

BacasJK 11-03-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiblet (Post 17304946)
Yup, to each his own. I'm just interested in other folks' experiences.

Curious though, I wouldn't think the 0w at start up would help any start up tick. At least not compared to a 5w or 10w.

As for the Texas heat, whether it's 80 or 120 out shouldn't make all that much difference to the oil temp in an engine at operating temps.
My only concern would be for the bottom end of the 3.8, it relies on oil splash for lube and cooling. But I doubt it makes too much difference.

Well, according to Blackstone, looks like my engine is running nicely. In others words, average or better than average wear on the bearings.
Oil splash? LOL That's not how it really lubricates and cools.
I'm assuming you add two or more extra quarts to your engine so it "splashes" all over the crank, rods and somehow the bearings? :rofl:
Lets stop there and just enjoy the info I posted or on to the next.

Martin

Jiblet 11-03-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BacasJK
Well, according to Blackstone, looks like my engine is running nicely. In others words, average or better than average wear on the bearings. Oil splash? LOL That's not how it really lubricates and cools. I'm assuming you add two or more extra quarts to your engine so it "splashes" all over the crank, rods and somehow the bearings? :rofl: Lets stop there and just enjoy the info I posted or on to the next. Martin

OK, whatever you say there


The time now is 10:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.