offroad lighting question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-09-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
supersport1409

offroad lighting question

Hello everyone. Question on 2016 JKU Rubi, can I run 55watt halogen lights on stock fog light circuits? I'm replacing my bumper today with ARB's stubby front bumper which does not have fog light cut outs. I picked up their 55watt 6 inch driving lights to compensate. If I don't gave to run a separate circuit, well why bother. Thanks in advance!

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-09-2017, 10:18 AM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

The circuit is 24 Watts per light, 48 Watts total. Those lights are 55 Watts a piece.

This is more than the TIPM is designed to feed those with. Now what you can do is use a relay that the coil is triggered by the factory wiring and run seperate power feeds to the relay to actually power the lights.

06 KJ
12 JK,2.5" Teraflex lift,Bilstein 5100's,BFG KO2's P305/65R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 9 Old 08-09-2017, 12:01 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
The circuit is 24 Watts per light, 48 Watts total. Those lights are 55 Watts a piece.

This is more than the TIPM is designed to feed those with. Now what you can do is use a relay that the coil is triggered by the factory wiring and run seperate power feeds to the relay to actually power the lights.
that's what I thought as well - but when my TIPM went bad that was one of the things we strongly suspected caused the back feed - a lamp has a different load than a coil when viewed by the canbus (which monitors using the dedicated ground wire and hot wire). The coil can not be grounded using the same dedicated ground wire hence the back feed... a lamp and a coil (as I did) even more so.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-09-2017, 12:09 PM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
that's what I thought as well - but when my TIPM went bad that was one of the things we strongly suspected caused the back feed - a lamp has a different load than a coil when viewed by the canbus (which monitors using the dedicated ground wire and hot wire). The coil can not be grounded using the same dedicated ground wire hence the back feed... a lamp and a coil (as I did) even more so.
Interesting. I wouldn't have expected that. Might be able to protect the TIPM with a diode or 2 but that now gets complicated quickly.

So, OP. While it seems feasible to do this with a relay, in practice it may lead to a TIPM failure. The 55 Watt each lights will absolutely overload the TIPM so use my suggestion at your own risk and don't attempt to power those lamps with the factory fog circuit.

06 KJ
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #5 of 9 Old 08-09-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
supersport1409

thanks for the response fellas, especially about the TIPM. looks like I'll be running these lights off a dedicated circuit and using up one of the switches on my a pillar switch pod..... bummer
post #6 of 9 Old 08-09-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
supersport1409

another question...will I get a "code" or an indicator that my fog lights are out if I remove the bulbs and just tie the wires out of the way since I have no fog provisions on new bumper? I cant seem to source a aftermarket 24 watt light.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-10-2017, 07:05 AM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

You will get a code but it won't set the MIL. If I remember right, it's a body module code for fog light circuit low or something like that.

I have several of these, headlight circuit high due to the LED headlights and lost comm to radio due to an aftermarket HU. None of these set the check engine light and will pass a state inspection here in NC.

06 KJ
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #8 of 9 Old 08-18-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
supersport1409

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz
You will get a code but it won't set the MIL. If I remember right, it's a body module code for fog light circuit low or something like that. I have several of these, headlight circuit high due to the LED headlights and lost comm to radio due to an aftermarket HU. None of these set the check engine light and will pass a state inspection here in NC.
what wattage are your headlights/how much more then stock? what is the highest wattage for ('16) fogs you would run? I got bumper installed today and really want to use the stock fog wiring for something
Attached Images

post #9 of 9 Old 08-21-2017, 08:39 AM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm running Trucklites with the anti flicker harness. Not sure what the wattage is. My fogs are stock, 24W lights. However, I'll be swapping those out shortly as I now have lost one of the lamps.

06 KJ
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.