Off Road Heros Soft Top - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Off Road Heros Soft Top

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 11-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #61
DeezUU

I picked up a soft top liner for my 97 WAY back in the day (when it was California Tops). I'm looking at the Multi Top now for my 4dr and couldn't believe the bad rap this guy was getting. This stuff isn't coming from a top making machine... it's all custom work. It really irked me to see 'other forums' pretty much BAN the guys name from being spoken because they didn't get their product in 3 days.

It's time for the UU family to pop a new top on the JK and ORH will be the place I get it from. Prolly gonna pick up the liner, too. That made for a comfy ride in the winters (it get SO harsh here in VB! Lol). I'm happy to here that people are finally giving this man the props that he is due. Innovative products and great quality. Can't wait to get mine (but I will... patiently)

Unread 11-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #62
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Regardless of the quality of these tops, the fact that the guy takes forever and does not communicate gets him the bad rap and honestly he deserves it.

If other forums choose to ban him, that is their business. People are waiting a heck of a lot more than 3 days for their tops.

They are quality products from what I have heard, and if a person can justify the wait, then it's not a big deal. But if someone orders, tries to communicate on the status, and ends up waiting half a year for their top with no explanation as to where it is, then they have every right to be pissed. Especially when he has notes all over his site that the top will ship quickly, you will not be charged until it is shipped, etc...
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #63
labgeek
2010 JK Wrangler 

I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but after repeated attempts to contact him regarding issues with the top, and not a single response, he's lost my business forever. Nothing he does will make up for the fact he ignores customers.

The windshield header I was sent was welded at the wrong angle and it would have taken a machine shop to correct it. So I had to buy a replacement Bestop header... Amazingly enough it fits perfectly and I expect the issue of rain being driven up over the windshield at freeway speeds is gone. BTW, if anyone else needs to do this WalMart carries a <$4 Heavy-Duty Snap Kit with Tools in the sewing section that fit the snaps on the Bestop header perfectly.
Unread 11-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #64
jeepdrummer
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by labgeek View Post
I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but after repeated attempts to contact him regarding issues with the top, and not a single response, he's lost my business forever. Nothing he does will make up for the fact he ignores customers.

The windshield header I was sent was welded at the wrong angle and it would have taken a machine shop to correct it. So I had to buy a replacement Bestop header... Amazingly enough it fits perfectly and I expect the issue of rain being driven up over the windshield at freeway speeds is gone. BTW, if anyone else needs to do this WalMart carries a <$4 Heavy-Duty Snap Kit with Tools in the sewing section that fit the snaps on the Bestop header perfectly.
Sorry for your troubles man, nice work on finding a cheap fix to the problem. Business is pretty slow right now, have you tried calling him recently? I find it hard to believe that he keeps a record of all the numbers he doesn't want to answer and screens his calls. Give him a buzz in the middle of the day and see if he picks up...

I'd be very surprised if you explained your issues to him over the phone and he did nothing to resolve the problem
jeepdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #65
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdrummer View Post
Sorry for your troubles man, nice work on finding a cheap fix to the problem. Business is pretty slow right now, have you tried calling him recently? I find it hard to believe that he keeps a record of all the numbers he doesn't want to answer and screens his calls. Give him a buzz in the middle of the day and see if he picks up...

I'd be very surprised if you explained your issues to him over the phone and he did nothing to resolve the problem
Busy or not, you talk to your customers or you don't have customers.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #66
jeepdrummer
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm not defending him, I'm just saying an email is easier to ignore than someone on the other end of the phone...he can't ignore you forever
Unread 11-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #67
labgeek
2010 JK Wrangler 

That bridge has been burnt... A specialty business that doesn't cater to its customers in this economy isn't going to last long.

I dont consider spending $55 in parts alone to fix the top that cost $1000 ($925 + $75 shipping) and never should have required fixing in the 1st place, as an inexpensive solution.
Unread 11-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #68
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

labgeek that sux sorry to hear, my header was at a strange angle too and never seemed to fit right, also the dog collar in the rear doesn't seem right either, he also left off some of the custom touches he promised...i still love it but yea his customer sevice is lame and may be his end.

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #69
DeezUU

I'm still convinced that it's the best top on the market right now. Say what you will about the CS... but I have faith.
Unread 12-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #70
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

i can report it holds up very well to mesquite thorns and braches of various sizes....our local club did Chimney Rock from the east (notorioulsy thin trail wiht lots of pinstriping) and my roof rack was collecting a lot of crap and dragging branches along the windows and back portion and no damage, at one pt I even had to remove the crossbars that were hung up on a juniper...geeze here I am paying attention to the rocks and the dang trees get in the way/, also had a 8' branch take aride for before I dragged it off and no damage...it has also survived a few impressive hail storms!

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #71
jeepdrummer
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ok guys I have a rather large and somewhat comical update. I've been emailing with Tim about his plans to build a version of the 4-door whisper top for the 2-door JK. Normally I would be way more upset by something like this, but the guy is clearly bat$hit crazy and this was to be expected. I even tried to help him out some. Buyer beware. Looks like I'll be going with the trektop.

Anyway start from the bottom and work your way up...He's in white, I'm in blue. This is verbatim I swear. Enjoy!

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 5:44 PM,

I am not a god. I am a simple man struggling hard to give my customers the best top I can make AND I am trying not to take on too much such as your JK 2 DOOR TOP. Is that too much to ask ?. My customer service is based on whether I take on too much. Do not order from me if you are weary. Do not do me any favours. Go with the forum guys, and slam away. I do not care. I am the best and they can not get my top unless they go through me. Save yourself the trouble go with www.bestop.com .

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 4:32 PM,

And yet this barely literate response is exactly the type of poor customer service I am referring to. As I clearly stated, my intent was not malicious. I was merely making some suggestions as to how you could possibly improve your sales. I have not mistaken who I think you are. You are exactly who I thought you were. In fact, I made a point of trying to do business with you despite the ample amount of negative information online, and low and behold, you blatantly lied to me and proved them all right. Well done!

How can you say you have a good reputation, when your very own response to constructive criticism is littered with your bad attitude? Maybe if you actually hired someone you wouldn't have to "bust your guts" so hard. You screen people? What does that even mean? You screen away sales with your poor customer service? Good luck to you my friend, you'll need it.

Matt

P.S. It's spelled Karma.

Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:51 PM

Hi Matthew,

I do not have a bad reputation, I have a very good reputation, there are just bad people. You might want to stay clear of bad speakers on forums. Carma is a *****.

I will let you in on a secret: if you are serious about owning one of my tops, I have a new policy. I screen people. In the meantime, I don't answer to anyone; not those people on the forums, and not you. I simply work too hard. You might have made a mistake in thinking who I am.

Tim

have bad thoughts. I am a hard worker who is simply working his guts out to do a better top.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 3:10 PM,

Tim,

First off, let me start by saying that I truly believe you have good intentions, but as the consumer you have to understand my disappointment. I am sure that dealing with all you have on your plate by yourself is a daunting task, but frankly all of your production issues make no difference to me nor are they my concern. From a consumer standpoint, the bottom line is I was promised something and didn't receive it. So at the end of the day, all that does is reflect poorly on your customer service.

While I am obviously unhappy with this situation, please also understand that my intention here is merely to criticize constructively. I really believe you have the market cornered with a superior product that could easily result in a sizeable profit if handled properly. You are clearly passionate about making the tops, but without the customer service to back up your product I fear that your success will be minimal at best.

I'm sure you are well aware of the situation already, but I feel I should add that your reputation for poor customer service precedes you in an overwhelming way on the internet. The vast majority of forums that I have visited while researching soft tops have all made reference to your poor and sometimes nonexistent customer service. While I won't go into any more detail regarding what was said, you would do well to see what your customers have been saying about your business if you haven't already. Google any of the jeep forums and search for offroad heroes and I'm sure they will not be hard to find. As it was for myself and many others, all these negative comments pose a major concern to anyone considering purchasing one of your soft tops, which is truly a shame considering that almost all of the individuals who actually received your top love it and say it is built exceptionally well. Regardless of what has happened in the past, if you were to deliver the same quality top that you already make in a more reliable fashion people will do business with you.

That being said, it seems to me that in taking on all this responsibility by yourself, you have set yourself up for failure. Businesses in general are very difficult to get off the ground, nevermind on your own. Have you considered hiring a staff? I think you would benefit vastly from even a couple extra sets of hands around to help you out, not to mention take some of the pressure off your shoulders. If you are uncomfortable with someone else building them, then maybe even just hire someone to help with customers on the phone or to order more supplies, especially at this time of year when demand is high.

Again, I realize that all this is difficult to hear, but my intention is not to insult you. You have an excellent product that people want to buy, but your availability and distribution of said product is sorely lacking and unreliable. I'm sure many potential customers have been lost due to your poor reputation, and that if you are able to reverse that negative image you will be much better off. This is just my two cents of advise. Take it with a grain of salt or don't. I wish you a successful future Tim. Perhaps someday we will be able to do business.

Regards,
Matt

Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:38 PM

Hi Matt,

Thanks. It is my highest priority to do that JK 2 door right after I am happy with all that I want to accomplish with the 4 door tops. Right now I am cutting patterns for the new 4 door design. I can't stop and cut a pattern for a 2 door that is not there. Next I have 3 weeks of orders that accumulated while waiting for new materials so I can't do 2 doors that do not exist. Next, I have to make new jigs, and many extra tailgate bars for complaints that people want one. All this means I am busy and locked in. If there was 2 shops and 2 me maybe I can do YJs and JK 2 doors too but one thing at a time.

I have invested allot of time into the JK 2 DOOR over the winter and hope someday I can persavere into that model next. I have to finish my new designs, build jigs and patterns and keep testing them and THEN SEE HOW PEOPLE REACT, AND then no doubt I will be replacing allot of rear windows and making free tailgate bars for people who recently bought the last top without the tailgate bars. Then all this work must be studio-photographed and put up on my web site which requires allot of time to FIX UP MY 4 DOOR TO TAKE TO A STUDIO FOR PHOTOS and all this takes time.

* Test for reactions
* Make many extra tailgate bars and windows for people who complain they didn't get one last top.
* Make new jigs, and keep a close eye on this new top each day as I make it incase something goes wrong.
* 3 weeks of orders fell behind designing the new top have to be built and shipped

ALL THIS TAKES BOO-COO TIME. T

I have been designing the 2 door all winter and have used allot of that technology on this new JK 4 door I am about to present to the market. I can not promise you a date is all I am saying .

Tim

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 11:47 AM,

Tim,

With all due respect, if my order is taken as seriously as you claim, why would you say you were working on it all this time if you weren't? If perfecting your 4-door top is your first priority, then that is your prerogative, but leading me to believe otherwise just isn't necessary. Your 4-door top is already the best on the market in my opinion, which is exactly why I would love one on my 2-door, but the whole point of having it is for the summertime. My goal was to have a new top shipped and installed before the end of May. If this isn't a possibility, then I will have to start considering other options.

Thanks,
Matt

Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:58 PM

Hi Matt,

I appreciate your wanting this 2 door top and take it very seriously, thanks.

My basics is starting with the most popular top, the 4 door. Once I can handle it than it is an automatic that I can progress into my 2 door. I hope this won't take long. I dropped my TJs, YJs, and JK 2doors to start off at the beginning with what I can handle. If I can handle one top and stock it and perfect it and am insured it is the best in the world and not 2nd best and there is no other better way to build it and no one can beat me, than it makes sense to transfer that development in technology and know-how into the next model which would be the JK 2-door.

What I was saying about not an official orders was I don't want to sweat it and feel I am in trouble. I dropped that top off my site so I would not be in any trouble with customers so I could focus my trouble-solving on one top at a time and graduate to the next. I take your wanting the 2 door top very very seriously. I know it as much of an order as you can get. Thanks.

Tim

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 9:44 AM,

Hi Tim,

How can I have an official order on a top that apparently doesn't even exist yet? I think I have made it pretty clear that I want to purchase one. Per this email conversation we have been discussing it's progress since mid January, and on more than one occasion you have stated that you're in the process of building it. Was that not true? My purpose in inquiring about the top so early in the year was to afford you plenty of time to work on it before tons of orders started coming in before summer. I understand that you are busy, but I feel that I have been very patient. Why is it that recent 4-door orders take priority over my 2-door order from 4 months ago?

Thanks,
Matt

Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:14 PM

Hello Matthew !

I do not have an official order for you for a 2 door Jeep Top as of right now. However, I am presenting a 2-door top for this summer when I get caught up with the 4-door tops. When I know I can stock and manage to keep up on the 4-door tops then I can present the 2-door top. So the 2-door top is on hold.

Tim Taylor

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Good Morning Tim,

How are thing progressing with my 2-door order?

Thanks,
Matt

Sent: Friday, March 25, 2011 12:58 PM
To: OFFROADHEROS
Subject: RE: 2 Door Wolf Top Pics

Thanks Tim! I'll keep my eyes open.

Matt

Sent: Friday, March 25, 2011 12:46 PM

I have been innodated with allot of JK 4door orders and had to remove my FASTBACK from my site BUT now I am almost caught up again.
I can see posting the JK 2 DOOR top soon too.

Thank you.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 10:41 AM,

Good Afternoon Tim,

I have been checking the website for updates almost daily! The weather is starting to warm up a bit and I'm really looking forward to a new soft top. Any ETA as to when the new models will be available?

Regards,
Matt

Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:40 PM
To: OFFROADHEROS
Subject: RE: 2 Door Wolf Top Pics

Thanks for the quick response Tim, I appreciate it. I'm excited to see the finished product!

Matt

Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:22 PM

Hi Matt ! ! ! ! ! !!!

I am working away on it. Thank you.

Tim Taylor

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 2:42 PM,

Hi Tim,

Just wanted to check in and see how things are progressing with the 2-door wolf top. Drop me a line whenever you have time.

Thanks,
Matt

Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 4:07 PM

Excellent Matt, I will work on that JK 2 DOOR WOLF TOP

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 1:05 PM,

Hi Tim,

Thank you very much for the pics. The SUT top looks fantastic and I think it will be a great seller, but I don't think I can afford to give up the extra storage space in the back. When we spoke on the phone the other day, I was referring to a version of the wolf top for the 2-door JK that you said you had been working on previously. I understand that you are busy and have many projects going on at once, but the fastback look, ease of use, and different setup options of the 4-door wolftop is exactly what I am looking for. Is a two door version still in the works? If you have any pics or updates on its progression please feel free to send them along as I am very interested in purchasing one before next summer. Thanks again.

Kind Regards,
Matt

Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2011 11:18 PM

Hi Matthew !
READY FOR SALE. One in stock so far.

Tim Taylor
(780) 432-8144

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:37 PM, OFFROADHEROS <serviceoffroadheros@gmail.com> wrote:

This is one of the stages it was in while I was designing it. I will have some nice photos soon. I spent the day on a door rod trying to make it work with a better idea with how the fabric connects.

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 2:30 PM,

Hi Tim,
Per our telephone conversation a minute ago, I am very interested in a version of the wolf top for a 2-door JK. Any pictures or information on the development of this top would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your time and good luck with the designing process!!
Thanks,
Matt
Unread 04-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #72
labgeek
2010 JK Wrangler 

LOL! Yeah he has a "very good reputation" for ignoring people. He did you a favor... Take his advice, buy bestop (or some other brand). I nay-say'ed the "bad people" because I liked the look and a few of the people really talked highly of the product. I took a chance, and now I guess I am one of those "bad people". Strange he's still talking to you at all. He wouldn't return my emails at all once the top was shipped.

I thought the 4D Whipser was a finished product when I bought it. The version I got was all but finished. I had to order a replacement (Bestop) windshield header just to stop the rain from coming in on rainy days while going down the road (and fix the cracking POS wrap-around plastic that became brittle after a couple months of use). I and went and bought the bar and changed the back because in heat opening the back door wanted to pull off the cheap velcro - that didn't look like a finished product from day 1.

Seriously, I don't know if you were trying to schmooze him or what with the best on the market, etc. talk, but I've looked at a few others and the one I got LAST YEAR (you'd think he'd be done designing it by now) is far from being the best. The OEM soft top is far superior actually than this thing. I'm planning on changing it out to the Bestop sometime soon. I'd consider selling this one but them "Carma" might catch up with me for pawning it off on some poor soul.

PS: You missed a few others from him: persevere not persavere, 'in case' not incase & inundated not innodated.
(Just the ones that popped out at me.)

Edit: Oh and I had to re-bend one of the bars around the door. The rear driver's side didnt like closing and had to be slammed. Then I noticed the number it was doing on the weatherstripping... Pulled both sides off and looked at them as the passenger's side wasn't having the problem. When I compared the 2, I noticed the hard to close door's bar was bent wrong and stuck out in a bow shape.... Like I said FAR from a finished product.
Unread 04-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #73
labgeek
2010 JK Wrangler 

And what's with the not so veiled threat, aka his "secret" screening of people? What a ego on this guy!

I was like you and willing to overlook all the bad P.R. - thinking that it really can't be that bad. It is... Seriously, I'd reconsider if I were you.
Unread 04-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #74
jeepdrummer
2010 JK Wrangler 

All I meant by saying he has the best product is that if he actually started a company aside from him being a mad scientist in his own garage, I'm sure the tops would be very well made and people would love them. In theory it's clearly the best top on the market. Obviously I don't plan on purchasing one anymore. Actually I'm pretty sure im blacklisted at this point.

I kind of want to order one anyone just so when it shows up I can say haha Tim I fooled your screening process!!!
Unread 04-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #75
CJsPerson
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wow, I'm so glad I had an absolutely seamless headache free purchase of my 4 door top. I guess Iím in the 1%. Shame itís so problematic for folks cause I love mine.

I off road because I have a Jeep. I don't have a Jeep because I off road. Above all my Jeep is a convertible. That's where my love is for the brand ...convertible overkill
CJsPerson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
JK Wrangler , o.r.h. , off road heros , soft top , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.