Off Road Heros Soft Top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Off Road Heros Soft Top

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 11-11-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
HITMONEY
RubiKong's Trainer

2008 JK Wrangler 

Off Road Heros Soft Top

Well some of you may know I was one of the first guinea pigs for the Bestop TekTop. I did not like the top at all and sent it back. I didn't like the hardware, or the design of how the rear window used a c-channel fit the window to the top. I could also tell right away that there would be problems with pooling water without buying some extra bows. But I did LOVE the look of it.

Well before the TrekTop had even come to market I was looking at the "Off Road Heros" top and got REAL interested when they came out with the Combo-Top.

But I was scared to order because of all the bad I had read about either with the top or the manufacturer, so I held off.

Not long ago I noticed Phil from Trail Duty was running this top and then learned he sold them. Well, I thought this was my chance to try the top since I could order it from Trail Duty and with Phil's excellent reputation I knew i would be able to return it if it was defective or if I didn't like it.

I have now been running the top for a week and I have this to say...
I LOVE THIS TOP.

Now, I am still waiting for the combo portion to arrive and am just running the full top right now.

The top was easier to install than the TrekTop, the Hardware was better then the TrekTop and it fits WAY better. It rained today and there was only a little bit of pooling over the back seat but not even enough to sag the top in the least. The top is so tight that there is no way for it to sag.

There is no flapping at all, not even at 80mph. The rear window was moving a bit, but no flapping sound at all and I am sure that it is my bug deflector causing the air disturbance.

The only thing the TrekTop and ORH Top has in common is the fact that you have to velcro the rear window to the tailgate. That wasn't a biggie for me but I know it is for some.

This past weekend the South Florida Jeep Club was invited to park its members Jeeps on the grounds at the Homstead Miami Rib Fest and I had the ORH Top on for the show. The top sets off my rigs look perfectly and EVERYONE from Rib Fest attendees to fellow club members just couldn't get over how good the top looked.

I would like to thank Phil from Trail Duty for carrying the ORH line and being invaluable when it came to making me feel confident that I wouldn't have any problems.

Now I can't wait for the combo section to arrive and run SUT Style!

YouTube Channel HERE
FaceBook HERE
HITMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

thanks for that review. I have been eyeing that thing for a year, but like you, I had heard some bad things. Guess I'll be putting that on my short list now

So- is there any hardware that need to be installed? I have a hardtop only right now.

After the initial install, how long does it take to put on. I drive to work topless a lot, and would like to have this so I can put it on quick if rain pops up (which is does frequently here).

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
JIMBOX
2008 JK Wrangler 

Neat top

Somebody stole a shackle and a spare tire !!

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
breaktrack

2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice!!

Okay, I'm not sure what part of "combination" you are talking about. From looking at the link and seeing the top, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "combination".

Otherwise, that is a sharp looking top and a great alternative to the other. I have the stock soft top, so is there anything else required to use this top?

Mac
Unread 11-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breaktrack View Post
Okay, I'm not sure what part of "combination" you are talking about. From looking at the link and seeing the top, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "combination".
ORH makes a 2nd piece that removes the fastback portion, and makes it "flat" behind the back seats. (does that make sense?)

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
HITMONEY
RubiKong's Trainer

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
thanks for that review. I have been eyeing that thing for a year, but like you, I had heard some bad things. Guess I'll be putting that on my short list now

So- is there any hardware that need to be installed? I have a hardtop only right now.

After the initial install, how long does it take to put on. I drive to work topless a lot, and would like to have this so I can put it on quick if rain pops up (which is does frequently here).
There are 4 door surrounds that you install similiar to the TrekTop, but less conspicuous and easier to install. If it takes you 10 minutes to install them you must have stopped for a smoke break. The header is part of the top and is bolted into place with one bolt on each side.

The main top section rolls forward and buttons in place for topless driving. You can do that and either leave the rear section on or remove the rear windows, or just remove the back window.. pretty versatile. I would say that you can be topless in a 1/3rd of the amount of time as the factory soft top.

So there is no real storage of the top inside your rig as the top just rolls forward, and if the weather turns, just roll it back, cinch the straps and you're done.

The TrekTop was more conventional with having to remove the header to go topless quickly and storing the header rolled up in the top is a PIA inside your rig. I know some people have solved this by cutting the header in half. but having used both the TrekTop and the ORH top, I'll take the ORH. I know it has also been mentioned that Bestop may be redesigning the TrekTop to use a rear window channel bar like the factory soft top and that will be a plus to the TrekTop but even then I don't think I would choose it over the ORH top based on MY experience. I know that there are some who love the TrekTop... I just wasn't one of them, and I REALLY wanted to love that top.

Here is some pics of the combo top..
http://www.offroadheros.com/softtop4_combo.html
YouTube Channel HERE
FaceBook HERE

Last edited by HITMONEY; 11-12-2008 at 11:28 AM..
Unread 11-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #7
HITMONEY
RubiKong's Trainer

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Neat top

Somebody stole a shackle and a spare tire !!

JIMBO
LMAO!

The D-Ring vibrated off last weekend on the trail and My spare will soon be able to come with me as soon as Red Rock Fab sends out the tire carrier.

YouTube Channel HERE
FaceBook HERE
Unread 11-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
jnr0104
Old Jeep Guy

2008 JK Wrangler 

you have any leaks after the rain? Also where I am, I run on miles of rock and gravel roads,terrible dust, you have any idea about dust filtering into the cabin?
jnr0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
HITMONEY
RubiKong's Trainer

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnr0104 View Post
you have any leaks after the rain? Also where I am, I run on miles of rock and gravel roads,terrible dust, you have any idea about dust filtering into the cabin?
It poured here in Miami yesterday... not one drop in the Cab that I have found. Even my OEM top had a small drip above the drivers door at times. I also don't get the waterfall when I open the door as I did with my factory top. I am sure I need to spend some more time in the rain to give a definitive "No leaks" answer.. but so far so good.

As for dust, I would imagine the ORH top is every bit as good as the OEM top at keeping dust out.
YouTube Channel HERE
FaceBook HERE
Unread 11-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #10
JIMBOX
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yea, that happened to me years ago , untill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
LMAO!

The D-Ring vibrated off last weekend on the trail and My spare will soon be able to come with me as soon as Red Rock Fab sends out the tire carrier.

When I put the shackle on the bumper, I take a BIG Cresent and TORQUE the shackle in place, that keeps it untill you need to use it

Great looking JK

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
breaktrack

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
ORH makes a 2nd piece that removes the fastback portion, and makes it "flat" behind the back seats. (does that make sense?)
Yeah, I see what you mean. Since I have the factory soft top already, which also means I have the channels, etc, will this just attach pretty much to the stock equipment, with the exception of the velcro for the back window, of course...lol.

Mac
Unread 11-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #12
HITMONEY
RubiKong's Trainer

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breaktrack View Post
Yeah, I see what you mean. Since I have the factory soft top already, which also means I have the channels, etc, will this just attach pretty much to the stock equipment, with the exception of the velcro for the back window, of course...lol.

Mac
It doesn't need or use any of the OEM equipment.. ie door surrounds, rear channel bar.

It comes with everything you need.
YouTube Channel HERE
FaceBook HERE
Unread 02-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #13
earlb74

1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

I have one of these tops for sale for a 4 door JK if anyone is interested. asking 600.00 and i will cover shipping. Sold my JK and went back to TJ.
earlb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 07:56 AM   #14
bryandhispup
1994 YJ Wrangler 

has anyone run one of these on a YJ? I KNOW it would be an improvement over the Factory POS I have now... but debating weather i want a Hard top that is a pain in the tuckus to get off or a bowless top. Is it worth the $$$? I am poor gotta watch where my money goes...
bryandhispup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #15
breaktrack

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlb74 View Post
I have one of these tops for sale for a 4 door JK if anyone is interested. asking 600.00 and i will cover shipping. Sold my JK and went back to TJ.
I know it's been a while, but did you ever sell that top?

Mac

Tags
JK Wrangler , o.r.h. , off road heros , soft top , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.