OEM TIPM Study - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > OEM TIPM Study

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

OEM TIPM Study

The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) is a lot more than the fuse box it appears to be. It is responsible for a lot of the power switching/modulation/distribution, and communications with other systems in the JK electrical system.
New TIPMs go for $200 - $250. Used can be found for $0 - $200; very negotiable. After replacing the TIPM, it may need to be programmed to the vehicle. As far as I know, only the dealer can do the programming.
This is from the factory service manual:
The original Cab Compartment Node and Powertrain Control Module must be installed and functioning properly prior to powering up the new TIPM. The TIPM receives vehicle configuration data from the CCN and Vehicle Identification Number information from the PCM. If configuration information becomes lost or corrupted, the data can be obtained from DealerCONNECT

I found a TIPM from a wreck, (the TIPM took a hit, too), so I salvaged the useable parts, and didn't mind disassembling it to see how it is made.
I couldn't find a detailed wiring diagram for the TIPM, so this is more a visual than technical presentation.

This is a view of the TIPM as it sits in the engine bay.

Looking down on the TIPM with the cover open. There is a diagram and legend on the inside of the cover. The square gray items are mechanical relays. The item labeled "Ignition Off Draw" is the one you pull up to minimize the drain on the battery if the vehicle will not be run for an extended time. (Up to 30 days. Longer than that, disconnect the battery, and charge it periodically.)
The item labeled "Occupant Restraint Controller" should not be relied upon to make safe the ballistic components of the system. All instructions say to disconnect the battery negative terminal and wait several minutes to make it safe.

Here is a view of a relay with the cover removed.

A view underneath the TIPM.

The bottom cover has been removed, exposing the TIPM circuit board. Also, the layers of connector prongs have been separated. The view is looking up from the bottom.

This view is from the top looking down. The fuses and relays have been removed, since with the separated layers, there are no connector prongs in the sockets to retain them. Notice how the prongs on each layer are connected, and that all the prongs stick through each of the layers above and below (previous photo, too).

All the layers, back together.

A good view of the "brain" of the TIPM. In addition to the IC's and such, there are mechanical relays in the 7 white components on the board. It is this portion of the TIPM that is not serviceable by the dealer or consumer.

Here are two views of the relays on the circuit board. The bigger ones are double relays, the smaller are single.

Here is my best effort to identify the relays on the circuit board.
The check mark by the name indicates I was able to verify what it controls by tracing the circuit, exclusively between relay and destination, with a continuity tester. On the rest of them there were too many common points among them to isolate each relay.
When each of the systems was energized, I could hear the click of a relay with the aid of a mechanic's stethoscope, (not one of the big relays in the fuse box section of the TIPM).
There was no click sound when the headlights and fog lights were turned on, indicating those are controlled with a solid state relay.

ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
51M38
2011 JK Wrangler 

Interesting, thanks for taking the time to post this.
51M38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
JIMBOX
2008 JK Wrangler 

Super interesting ronjenx-thanx--question-

Did you find the "Elex ThrotleControl (ETC) Module, in that group ??

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Super interesting ronjenx-thanx--question-

Did you find the "Elex ThrotleControl (ETC) Module, in that group ??

JIMBO
The ETC, mounted to the intake, gets its instructions from the Powertrain Control Module, mounted on the driver's side (left) inner fender.
Unread 04-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
JIMBOX
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thank you everso-ronjenx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
The ETC, mounted to the intake, gets its instructions from the Powertrain Control Module, mounted on the driver's side (left) inner fender.
JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2011, 05:17 AM   #6
krutj
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Very nice write up...your studies are always interesting and informative, thanks.
Unread 04-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks' ronjenx
Are the relays of a standard type or are the proprietary to Chrysler?
Do you know the amperage rating of them?
As always, this will be archived in the F.A.Q.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
Thanks' ronjenx
Are the relays of a standard type or are the proprietary to Chrysler?
Do you know the amperage rating of them?
As always, this will be archived in the F.A.Q.
The relays are nothing special. They are labeled with the Chrysler number, most likely at the point of manufacture.

They are inexpensive, even from the dealer. (2-3 dollars on line, and 3-5 dollars at the dealer.)

I think they are rated in the 30 amp range, but can't verify that to the specific part number.
Unread 04-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Very nice. Wouldn't the biggest issue be the chipset(s)? That is where the logic programming is running for all the 'talking' the TIPM does the PCM and CCN isn't it? I know they flashed my TIPM and my interval wipers quit working. I know it's logic, I've swapped motors and the issue is with the Jeep. Service dept was interested when I mentioned it, shoulder shrugging was the only response though.

You bring up a good solution, too. If I round up a yard unit and find out what the dealer will charge to program it...

Bob K.
'13 Black 10A Rubicon JKU
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbronco View Post
Very nice. Wouldn't the biggest issue be the chipset(s)? That is where the logic programming is running for all the 'talking' the TIPM does the PCM and CCN isn't it? I know they flashed my TIPM and my interval wipers quit working. I know it's logic, I've swapped motors and the issue is with the Jeep. Service dept was interested when I mentioned it, shoulder shrugging was the only response though.

You bring up a good solution, too. If I round up a yard unit and find out what the dealer will charge to program it...

Bob K.
Removing and installing the same or new TIPM will not require dealer programming if the CCN and PCM are installed and operating properly.
I don't know if this applies to a used TIPM from another vehicle.

TIPM Installation:

1. Position the TIPM into the engine compartment.
2. Connect each of the seven TIPM wire harness connectors.
3. Position the TIPM onto the mounting bracket and push down until the mounting clips are fully seated.
4. Position the TIPM positive cable onto the mounting stud and install the retaining nut. Tighten the nut to 80 - 100 in. lbs.
5. Open the TIPM cover and fully seat the Airbag fuse holder (two fuses in one yellow carrier) and the Ignition Off Draw (IOD) fuse.
6. Connect the battery negative cable.
7. Close the hood.
8. Insert the ignition key and turn it to the “RUN” position and wait twelve seconds. The TIPM will collect the necessary vehicle configuration and VIN data from the CCN and PCM at this time. After twelve seconds turn the ignition key to the “OFF” position and then back to the “ON” position and verify proper vehicle systems operation.
If the information was lost or corrupted, it can be retrieved with the StarScan tool through DealerConnect.
Unread 04-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here is a picture showing where 12v, (always hot), is available on a 2008 TIPM. If the same spots are open on yours, and you need some power, give them a try.
Also, I updated the view of the "brain", in the original post, above. It shows both halves, now.

Here is a pic showing where power is available when the key is in the RUN position.
If you wanted to tap the fuse slot from under the TIPM, and be able to use a fuse in the slot, I have identified the correct pin in the connector.
For example, to use the top slot (M9) identified in the picture, you would install an appropriate wire in connector C6, pin 28, under the TIPM. See this link to see a similar tap: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...ource-1248471/
Unread 07-05-2011, 12:17 AM   #12
gil1911jk
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Removing and installing the same or new TIPM will not require dealer programming if the CCN and PCM are installed and operating properly.
I don't know if this applies to a used TIPM from another vehicle.

TIPM Installation:

1. Position the TIPM into the engine compartment.
2. Connect each of the seven TIPM wire harness connectors.
3. Position the TIPM onto the mounting bracket and push down until the mounting clips are fully seated.
4. Position the TIPM positive cable onto the mounting stud and install the retaining nut. Tighten the nut to 80 - 100 in. lbs.
5. Open the TIPM cover and fully seat the Airbag fuse holder (two fuses in one yellow carrier) and the Ignition Off Draw (IOD) fuse.
6. Connect the battery negative cable.
7. Close the hood.
8. Insert the ignition key and turn it to the “RUN” position and wait twelve seconds. The TIPM will collect the necessary vehicle configuration and VIN data from the CCN and PCM at this time. After twelve seconds turn the ignition key to the “OFF” position and then back to the “ON” position and verify proper vehicle systems operation.
If the information was lost or corrupted, it can be retrieved with the StarScan tool through DealerConnect.
did you do this before it looks like you know what your talking about.so you are saying if i put it in i don't have to take it to dealer and pay all what money.i hope that is what your are saying
it's a 2008 jeep wrangler sahara.
gil1911jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 05:34 AM   #13
WXman

This is interesting. On the Dodge Ram, this TIPM also controls trailer lighting. So if you have a weird trailer light issue, it may be rooted in the circuitry of this unit. On my Ram, I found a replacement TIPM in a junkyard and swapped it right in. Required no programming at all....you just had to make sure you found one from the same model year.

It's scary though how much stuff this box controls. I miss the days when you could just swap a fuse and get your trailer lights working again. With Chrysler stuff these days, that's not always the case.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil1911jk View Post
did you do this before it looks like you know what your talking about.so you are saying if i put it in i don't have to take it to dealer and pay all what money.i hope that is what your are saying
it's a 2008 jeep wrangler sahara.
I have not had to do this yet.
What I posted is from the 2008 factory service manual.
Unread 07-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Here is a picture showing where 12v, (always hot), is available on a 2008 TIPM. If the same spots are open on yours, and you need some power, give them a try.
Since the supply power locations you have pointed out are designed to receive fuses for options our rigs are not equipped with... Is there access below the TIPM to connect an aftermarket accessory to these empy slots and install fuse for a cleaner install? Or are we just better off just plugging in a spade connector and using an inline fuse type harness?
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.