OEM Rubicon Locker Study - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > OEM Rubicon Locker Study

The Boss is away but Erin is here to STAY with a F.Y.S. SaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

OEM Rubicon Locker Study

A forum member recently sent me his old Rubicon e-locker.
Here is a quote from the owner:
"...when wheeling in tough areas (sand, mud, rocks &tc.) I put the locker in for a while & then take it out, put the locker in for a while & then take it out, repeat. So, I've used it a lot. My Jeep has 105K miles & I'll bet 15-18K of that is off road."

It has seen some good use. The differential and dog clutch show very little wear.
The ring in the 3rd picture below looks quite worn, leaving a small lip at the inner diameter
That could be the cause of locker ratcheting.
Installing a shim to make up the difference has at least temporarily fixed it in some cases.

Here is a look at how the Rubicon e-locker works.

See this great video to review how a regular differential works:

ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
durable1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Great pictures. Very interesting post.
durable1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well done Sir. You are a valuable asset to this forum.
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wahoo! That answers several of my locker questions. Now, this is a technical thread.
Unread 02-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
MoreMud
2012 JK Wrangler 

One of the best explanations of a locking differential I've seen, thanks for putting it together.
just getting started.....
MoreMud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2015, 04:09 AM   #6
S_Bartfast
2007 JK Wrangler 

Firstly I want to congratulate you on a most excellent post. I've search long and hard for details on the Rubicon Locker and I must say you've done an exceptional write up here.

One question though....
Are you able to explain how it is the spider gears themselves rotate?

The reason I ask is that my front diff started making a horrible noise whenever I turn sharply while 4WD is engaged. I took it to the workshop and they pulled everything apart and found a nice shiney little bonus bit in my locker:

The first thing I thought was that it looked like the needle bearing in a uni cap and I started to wonder where the bearings that the spider gears roll on are. Would it be possible that this part is from one of the spider bearings?

In any event my diff has clearly experienced some serious violence and is in need of a complete rebuild. This is what one of the pins that go through the end of the spider shafts looks like:
S_Bartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #7
MrSundays
2013 JK Wrangler 

This is amazing. Thank you. A buddy of mine and I had a debate if it was an e-locker or a low compression clutch. Thanks for the clarification and explanation.

Sent from my pocket brick

2013 JKR, MOPAR Stage III 3", 35" Duratracs
MrSundays is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #8
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

So what would break this locker while off roading? and what will break when it does break the edged dog teeth or the pins

The way its set up its kinda like the spartan locker design
Moezer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2015, 08:08 AM   #9
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Book of knowledge-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
A forum member recently sent me his old Rubicon e-locker.
Here is a quote from the owner:
"...when wheeling in tough areas (sand, mud, rocks &tc.) I put the locker in for a while & then take it out, put the locker in for a while & then take it out, repeat. So, I've used it a lot. My Jeep has 105K miles & I'll bet 15-18K of that is off road."

It has seen some good use. The differential and dog clutch show very little wear.
The ring in the 3rd picture below looks quite worn, leaving a small lip at the inner diameter
That could be the cause of locker ratcheting.
Installing a shim to make up the difference has at least temporarily fixed it in some cases.

Here is a look at how the Rubicon e-locker works.

See this great video to review how a regular differential works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4JhruinbWc
If I didn't thank you before RJ, thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Bartfast View Post
Firstly I want to congratulate you on a most excellent post. I've search long and hard for details on the Rubicon Locker and I must say you've done an exceptional write up here.

One question though....
Are you able to explain how it is the spider gears themselves rotate?

The reason I ask is that my front diff started making a horrible noise whenever I turn sharply while 4WD is engaged. I took it to the workshop and they pulled everything apart and found a nice shiney little bonus bit in my locker:

The first thing I thought was that it looked like the needle bearing in a uni cap and I started to wonder where the bearings that the spider gears roll on are. Would it be possible that this part is from one of the spider bearings?

In any event my diff has clearly experienced some serious violence and is in need of a complete rebuild. This is what one of the pins that go through the end of the spider shafts looks like:
More great info-thnks SB-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2015, 08:14 AM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

This is a cool thread....the operation is very well-explained for those that require good visuals. I recently built a pair of JKR44's with ARB's and have the factory lockers set aside collecting dust. They were in a fire so not everything is in perfect condition but they'd likely make for great spare parts doners. If any of you guys have interest in them feel free to PM me.

If this is against the rules, go ahead and delete it. But considering the extreme niche market of these parts I'd appreciate the exposure since I have no use for them but others most certainly do.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2015, 08:50 AM   #11
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

S_Bartfast ,

The spider gears have no "bearings". They rotate on the shafts that go through them, and are pushed out on cupped and polished, hardened washers. There is enough oil on everything to handle the wear.

When you get the noise while turning sharply in 4wd, is it with the locker engaged?
What kind of noise is it, and what is the steering wheel doing during this.
Also, how much traction do you have at the time?
Did the pin you found cause damage to other parts?

I can't think of anything in the diff that would have small needle bearings. I'll take a close look at mine and see if there is a small pin that could fall out.

Do a search for the word Study in the title to find more threads like this one.
Unread 03-18-2015, 03:45 AM   #12
S_Bartfast
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
When you get the noise while turning sharply in 4wd, is it with the locker engaged?
Just in regular 4WD, nothing locked.

Quote:
What kind of noise is it, and what is the steering wheel doing during this.
Also, how much traction do you have at the time?
Aside from the noise everything else is fine. Steers fine, traction's fine. It actually worked perfectly, just sounded awful!

Here's a short video demonstrating the sound before it was disassembled:
I'm in Australia and we drive on the "Queen's Side" here
(And yes, I know you should never engage 4WD on bitumen)

Quote:
Did the pin you found cause damage to other parts?
It was actually my mechanic who found it (I'm no mechanic myself, just an interested geek) and the second picture is the only part he showed me specifically. I believe the second pic is a "cross pin retainer". I saw the other parts and they kind of looked fine to me but I wouldn't really know. My mechanic didn't mention anything about them specifically but said the "bonus" bit must have gone through the gears at some stage and caused the damage to the second part. If you look closely you can see the pin is both scuffed and bent, and it you look really closely you can actually see that the "bonus" bit is also slightly bent.

Here are links to the full resolution images:
Pin (2.7MB)
BonusBit (2.8MB)
(let me know if you can't download the full res images)

Quote:
I can't think of anything in the diff that would have small needle bearings. I'll take a close look at mine and see if there is a small pin that could fall out.
No, nor could my mechanic

Quote:
Do a search for the word Study in the title to find more threads like this one.
Will do.
I think I came across your "Totally Integrated Power Module" thread before. That was a really good piece of work to.
S_Bartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.