OEM Mechanical Fan Retrofit - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > OEM Mechanical Fan Retrofit

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 06-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #16
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcatracing View Post
The electric fan in the shroud is as much for the air conditioning as anything else. Most cars with clutch fans have an electric fan inside the shroud so the AC works better in slower traffic because the clutch fan really doesn't draw that much air when not locked.
My Dakota had A/C that would freeze a drink in front of the dash vent.
It had only the mechanical clutch fan.

My old Scout with A/C had only the clutch fan, too. It worked OK in the San Antonio heat.

But, I'll keep an eye on that and see what happens when the weather gets hot.
I had noticed on the JK the electric fan was not on all the time the A/C was on, though.

ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #17
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks' Ron
I'm curious to hear how it affects your mileage and performance. Do you think it will put any unfavorable stress on the water pump?

I added this thread to the F.A.Q. under the "Power and Performance" heading.

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #18
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
Thanks' Ron
I'm curious to hear how it affects your mileage and performance. Do you think it will put any unfavorable stress on the water pump?

I added this thread to the F.A.Q. under the "Power and Performance" heading.

I considered stress factor.
I'm sure it's added stress to the pump. However, the pump is designed to have a fan on it. Pumps have had fans on them for many decades.

Performance doesn't seem to be affected. Something like this will only show when you ask for power on the upper end of it's limits. I have done that only once so far, testing it when accelerating onto the highway. I didn't notice any real difference, but that's no dyno.

As for a hit on the mpg's, I don't expect it to be enough to make me say it's not worth the benefits.
The needle hasn't moved off full since I did the conversion. I'll report the results after a few tankfuls.
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #19
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Nice work here, as always. Since adding a supercharger engine bay temps have been up significantly and I've been looking for a way to get them down that doesn't involve cutting holes in my hood.

Btw, what part of Maine are you in? I have a place near Lewiston, if it's not far you should meet up with me and head out to All Wheels some time. Also heard there's one further north near the Canadian border that's a good bit better.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #20
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
Nice work here, as always. Since adding a supercharger engine bay temps have been up significantly and I've been looking for a way to get them down that doesn't involve cutting holes in my hood.

Btw, what part of Maine are you in? I have a place near Lewiston, if it's not far you should meet up with me and head out to All Wheels some time. Also heard there's one further north near the Canadian border that's a good bit better.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
I was wondering if the fan and shroud would fit with the supercharger.
I suspect it won't.

I'm in the Bangor area.
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #21
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

That was the concern I had looking at the setup...rerouting the SC piping may be an option...

Damn, Bangor is one hell of a long ride

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #22
Jeeo4Um

A long way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
That was the concern I had looking at the setup...rerouting the SC piping may be an option...

Damn, Bangor is one hell of a long ride
It is indeed a long drive. For me it is about 670 miles and I do it regularly to stop at the Jeep Dealer for work and at Ronjenx to meet for breakfast. On my last trip he installed the Mopar AT cooler and it works really well. He is truely an amazing guy.
Jeeo4Um is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #23
jsalbre
2012 JK Wrangler 

I wonder if there's a set up for the 2012's as well?

My '03 KJ had the heavy-duty cooling package on it, which included a mechanical and electric fan. I never had a single heat issue, engine or transmission, even wheeling in 110 degree temps all day long. I'm a big fan of extra insurance, especially when I plan to be far from civilization.
jsalbre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #24
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalbre View Post
I wonder if there's a set up for the 2012's as well?

My '03 KJ had the heavy-duty cooling package on it, which included a mechanical and electric fan. I never had a single heat issue, engine or transmission, even wheeling in 110 degree temps all day long. I'm a big fan of extra insurance, especially when I plan to be far from civilization.
Thanks for adding your experience with the KJ.

I have reserved the option of adding the electric fan.
I also think of it as extra insurance.
Unread 06-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #25
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

As pointed out in the first post of this thread, my long term overall average mpg has been 18.5.

I have filled up twice since the mechanical fan conversion. Both tanks were mostly around town and some 50 - 55 mph non-interstate roads.
The first tank calculated to 0.5 mpg less than average, and the second tank calculated to 0.1 mpg above the average.

The first tank was lower by a comparatively larger amount probably because I spent quite a bit of time monitoring temps sitting still, idling, and otherwise seeing how the fan behaves.

I'll update again after two more tanks. It's looking good so far.
Unread 06-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #26
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like so far there is no real change at all.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #27
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The weather hit the 90's today, so I did some testing of the mechanical fan conversion on the trail in 4wd.

In 4hi, during most of the slow ups and downs of the trail:

The water temp hovered right around 195, once in a while hitting 198.
The transmission temp hovered around 130, spiking once or twice to 135.

In 4hi, up a steep mile climb:

The water temp remained in the mid 190's.
The transmission temp hit 170, and never went over. That was with a lot of torque converter slippage, because the speed didn't allow it to lock up.

I repeated the runs shown above in 4lo. The water remained in the mid 190's, and the transmission temp remained about 140.

As we all know, 4lo really lightens the load on the transmission and torque converter. The torque converter even locked up on the lighter stuff.

I was also running the A/C at different times during the test. It operated well, and had no effect on the water temp.
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #28
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The average of my first 5 tanks of gas after the mechanical fan conversion is 0.5 mpg less than the previous 4 year all-time average.
Is it the fan? Time will tell.
Monitoring mpg will continue.

In the meantime, I'm seeing lower temps under the hood, on and off road; transmission, engine, intake air, etc.

Now, it's a matter of waiting to see how things behave next winter. I have a feeling the transmission will still get up to the required 80F with no problem.
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #29
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you have problems with the transmission getting up to temp you can install a thermostatic valve which will divert 90% of the fluid straight back to the tranny until it gets up to temp.
08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
Coolcatracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #30
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Ronjenx, you're an interesting study yourself, let alone your Jeep projects! Highly analytical, I wouldn't be surprised to find that you are some sort of rocket-scientist of some sort! lol. How are you monitoring the temperatures and if it is external, where is the sensing element? I have a thermocouple unit that is highly accurate, I'm unsure where to monitor temps from on the engine itself.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.