OEM Front Wheel Unit Bearing Study - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > OEM Front Wheel Unit Bearing Study

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 03-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #31
jd_goldcombat
2010 JK Wrangler 

I bought my 2010 Sahara Unlimited in January. I kept my 2001 TJ which is the strip model with the 4Cyl engine (of course it's been extensively modded). There is no question that the JK has some superior engineering updates. It feels solid and rides much nicer. As someone who has been under the TJ extensively.. (and i have replaced my non-servicable Timken bearing units in the TJ as well...) the JK may have some crap parts in there (so did the TJ) but the engineering updates are noticable and greatly improved.

That being said...i drove my TJ around town yesterday for the first time in almost two months...and it feels like driving a tractor or a go-kart in comparison to the JK. I absolutely LOVED it. I'm keeping BOTH!!!

Unread 03-29-2010, 06:36 AM   #32
Grimscale
2011 JK Wrangler 

It would be nice to learn more about the VIP hubs.
I see Quadratec has OEM hubs for $125 with a 12mo/12000 mile warranty. if we could get an upgraded version for less money, that would be bonus!

I've been suspecting my right side unit bearing recently. On a straight or a left-hand curve, there seems to be a growl from the front end.
On a right-hand curve, the growl goes away until I straighten out again.
Grimscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:59 AM   #33
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimscale View Post
It would be nice to learn more about the VIP hubs.
I see Quadratec has OEM hubs for $125 with a 12mo/12000 mile warranty. if we could get an upgraded version for less money, that would be bonus!

I've been suspecting my right side unit bearing recently. On a straight or a left-hand curve, there seems to be a growl from the front end.
On a right-hand curve, the growl goes away until I straighten out again.
I am researching the Timken hub. More to come on that.

How many miles on your '07?
Jack up that corner and remove the wheel/tire.
Spin the hub by hand to see if it feels rough, or has any play.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 05:54 AM   #34
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Update (belated):

The hub Timken sells for the JK is made by ILJIN, the same as the OEM hub.
Several e-mails to Timken asking why they make tapered roller bearing hubs for other vehicles, went unanswered.

The good thing is it has a lifetime warranty, and is under $100.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.