OEM Front Wheel Unit Bearing Study - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > OEM Front Wheel Unit Bearing Study

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #16
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Imagine that. Further evidence the JK is made out of crap in the cheapest way possible. Very good posts with very good information. I knew I was not wrong in my assesment that although the JK's overall design is very good, it is executed so cheaply that it ruins the potential greatness this generation could have had.
I agree. It's more than the JK, though. All manufacturers are looking for ways to cut weight and costs.
If the Timken hubs have tapered rollers, that would be a step back in the right direction.

ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #17
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound13 View Post
So it all started with, "man this steering shaft is junk" we need to fix that. Got a new one. Wait...I still have shimmy, man this tie rod and the ends are junk. Hmm wobble over potholes. These ball joints have play already? Need better ball joints. My steering is loose now! Oh great the steering box has lateral play!

Now its wheel bearings. Is there anything on these JKs that are built to last over 50K?
apparently, many of the exhaust manifolds are not built to last over 50K miles either...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #18
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

I finally figured out what the JK is short for...J un K!
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #19
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda13 View Post
apparently, many of the exhaust manifolds are not built to last over 50K miles either...
Seriously?
The only problem I had ever heard of before this thread was cheap track bar brackets. I hope you guys just got lemons because 20 years or so from now my kids are going to need a good old SA jeep to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #20
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
Seriously?
The only problem I had ever heard of before this thread was cheap track bar brackets. I hope you guys just got lemons because 20 years or so from now my kids are going to need a good old SA jeep to drive.
Better throw a TJ in a time capsule.

Also, does anyone know what is the way to check if your hubs are bad?
Unread 03-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #21
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

You know what's going to happen?
We'll all get pissed off and get rid of our JKs, and JK'ers who don't get on forums will still be enjoying the best choice out there.
Unread 03-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #22
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
We'll all get pissed off and get rid of our JKs, and JK'ers who don't get on forums will still be enjoying the best choice out there.
Well, at least you guys still have that lifetime D/T warrenty going for ya, right?
Quote:
Unread 03-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #23
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, at least you guys still have that lifetime D/T warrenty going for ya, right?
We'll let you know how good that is when we start making claims.
Unread 03-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #24
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
You know what's going to happen?
Until they get death wobble..
Unread 03-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #25
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
not me, I bought before they offered that, I am an early adopter...

don't get me wrong, I can't count the many ways DC cut corners on our JKs...I still wouldn't be without one...but there is a lot of inferior parts to be replaced on our Jeeps...but I plan on still having mine 20 years from now, I am not getting rid of it

there are multiple threads on other forums about the junk exhaust manifolds...not everyone has had the problem, but many many folks have replaced theirs at least once...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

Unread 03-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #26
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda13 View Post
not me, I bought before they offered that, I am an early adopter...

don't get me wrong, I can't count the many ways DC cut corners on our JKs...I still wouldn't be without one...but there is a lot of inferior parts to be replaced on our Jeeps...but I plan on still having mine 20 years from now, I am not getting rid of it

there are multiple threads on other forums about the junk exhaust manifolds...not everyone has had the problem, but many many folks have replaced theirs at least once...
That's my intention, too. If there is a superior alternative to an OEM part, I'll get it, whether the original was a covered part or not.
Unread 03-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #27
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well maybe things will be better under Fiat and the new Penta star.
Good luck to y'all.
Quote:
Unread 03-28-2010, 05:07 AM   #28
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound13 View Post
Better throw a TJ in a time capsule.

Also, does anyone know what is the way to check if your hubs are bad?
I usually jack up one side at a time and grab the tire at the top and bottom, then try to wiggle it. If there's slop, you should feel it. Removing the tire and checking the hub slop is even better.
Unread 03-28-2010, 06:10 AM   #29
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

What gets me is my YJ was not like this. When something broke or wore out, I would fix it and it was done. Everything had a more solid feel to it. Yes my YJ had many deficiencies, but it at least felt like it was built to last. I like the greater towing capacity and more cargo room the JK has and the overall design. It is just when it came time to build it the cost cutting measures were excessive. Every time I have to bring my JK in to get something fixed, I have to rent a car which is always less than one or two years old. Even when I rent a cheap vehicle, it seems constructed out of better materials than my Jeep.

I never drove a TJ. I did enjoy my YJ. I recently almost trade the JK for an H2 or a corvette because of a braking problem that the dealer could not fix despite bringing it back multiple times in a five month period. I opened a case with corporate and I think the brakes are fixed now.

If this were my first Jeep, I would say it's a jeep, what do you expect, but it is not. The thing is, when it works right, it is awesome. The problem is, there are few days that it is not problematic. On those days it is truly awful. On Monday I have an appointment to replace several things under warranty which should help it.

I bought it July 2007. The only warranty it had was 3 years 36,000 miles. Even if stuff was covered under warranty, it does not help in the long term to replace one piece if crap with another piece if crap.

I am beginning to think that if I wanted a new Jeep in 2007 it would have been better and cheaper to build one from scratch out if aftermarket catalogs.
Unread 03-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #30
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
What gets me is my YJ was not like this. When something broke or wore out, I would fix it and it was done. Everything had a more solid feel to it. Yes my YJ had many deficiencies, but it at least felt like it was built to last. I like the greater towing capacity and more cargo room the JK has and the overall design. It is just when it came time to build it the cost cutting measures were excessive. Every time I have to bring my JK in to get something fixed, I have to rent a car which is always less than one or two years old. Even when I rent a cheap vehicle, it seems constructed out of better materials than my Jeep.

I never drove a TJ. I did enjoy my YJ. I recently almost trade the JK for an H2 or a corvette because of a braking problem that the dealer could not fix despite bringing it back multiple times in a five month period. I opened a case with corporate and I think the brakes are fixed now.

If this were my first Jeep, I would say it's a jeep, what do you expect, but it is not. The thing is, when it works right, it is awesome. The problem is, there are few days that it is not problematic. On those days it is truly awful. On Monday I have an appointment to replace several things under warranty which should help it.

I bought it July 2007. The only warranty it had was 3 years 36,000 miles. Even if stuff was covered under warranty, it does not help in the long term to replace one piece if crap with another piece if crap.

I am beginning to think that if I wanted a new Jeep in 2007 it would have been better and cheaper to build one from scratch out if aftermarket catalogs.
I know what you mean...

My Dad's XJ, and my previous TJ both felt more substantial...the TJ never gave me any problems...the XJ has had two issues in 11 years, and its still going strong...

My friend has a 2003 TJ Sahara, and I love the engineering of the JK over his TJ, but his seems so much better put together than my JK....

There is a guy on this board that drives a TJ, named Grogie, and he and I used to be on a different forum at the same time, and I kind of questioned why he got one of the last new TJ models with the JK coming out, and I kind of feel dumb for asking him that now...I kind of think he made the right choice...as I have said here and other places...I am keeping my JK until its dead and I hope that is at least 20 more years, but I am sure having to replace and redo a lot of inferior things...

forum...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.