Odyssey PC1220 install 2012 JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Odyssey PC1220 install 2012 JK

Custom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
kosmos

2012 JK Wrangler 

Odyssey PC1220 install 2012 JK

Just shy of 3 yrs of ownership on my 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK - the factory battery died.
Luck for me my Jeep was in the driveway when it happened and I wasn't on the road
or worse in the sticks someplace in the middle of nowhere. Since I have a winch
and a bunch of other electrical accessories hanging off an sPod - I wanted to replace the factory
battery with a deep cycle rating and one that would give me peace of mind for a few years.
I picked an Odyssey Extreme Series Battery PC1220 for 2012 and Up Jeep JK Wranglers.
So in 2012 Jeep changed the engine in the wranglers and they also changed the battery
format/size. The new format/size is a size 91 or Group 48 the older Jeep JKs it was Group 34.

Replacing the battery in my 2012 JK was easy and took less than an hour. You only need a few
simple tools - screwdriver, 10mm socket, socket extension and socket wrench.

Here is the factory battery

I gave myself a little more room and flopped the hood back making sure to secure it in place
so the wind wouldn't blow it down on top of me.

Flopping the hood back gives you lots of room to pull the factory battery out.

Losses up the 10mm bolt that holds the battery in place - this is where you will need an extension on your socket wrench - the bolt is 10mm

After I loosened 10mm battery nuts and removed my sPod and winch connections here is the factory battery pulled

I unboxed the group 48 Odyssey Extreme Series Battery PC1220 for 2012-Up Jeep JK Wranglers

The Odyssey Extreme Series Battery PC1220 is direct replacement for the factory battery and is the exact same size and the terminals are all on the
same sides as the factory battery.

I installed the new odyssey battery and started the Jeep to validate the charging system was working it was I was seeing voltages in the high 13s and into 14 volts.

After I checked the charging system I finished the battery install putting back the factory battery holder and the 10mm bolt and tidy'd up the sPod and winch cable runs and completed the install.

Overall I spent less time on the install than I did researching the correct battery size etc.
The Odyssey PC1220 is a dry cell AGM style battery that is deep cycle that weighs in at 45lbs
(more specs here)
Has plenty of power and as a bonus is flame red like my JK. :lol:

Some more photos of the install in my flickr gallery here.

As an extra step I took the battery down to my local Auto Zone for free testing - they confirmed it was
dead (if you ask you can get a $5 store credit by giving/disposing of the old bad battery)

Upon closer inspection of the factory battery you can see on the positive terminal where the case had started to expand
the Texas heat and winching probably is what killed my battery in the end.

2012 JK Rubicon in Flame Red, ACE Rock Sliders, LoD Stubby Stinger front, LoD Stubby rear,Rock-Krawler 3.5" X factor Pro mid-arm, RCV ultimate front axles, Warn PP HP, 37" KM2s on AEV Savegre wheels, 10 Factory rear axles,MC front Fenders, Reid Knuckles,aFe Cold Air
kosmos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.