Odd (?) Clutch problem on 2008. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-21-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Odd (?) Clutch problem on 2008.

I'm a Cj owner but my son has a 2008 Wrangler.

He was driving around, pushed in the clutch to brake and down shift and the tranny was stuck in gear.

After playing around with it over the phone, We discovered the tranny shifts just fine if the engine is not running.

This leads me to think there is a problem with the clutch.

I can hear the slave cylinder pushing on the arm with the throw out bearing. Normal groans and creaks familiar to a CJ ear...
Pedal pressure is normal so it feels like it's depressing the fingers on the pressure plate.
No grinding noises with engine running and pressing down on clutch pedal or when pedal is released.

Tried an old CJ trick of starting it in gear and while holding the clutch pedal down, goose the gas to try to brake the clutch free.
No Joy on that old trick.
There is no slipping either as if one or two fingers were worn through.
Any history of the pilot bearing seizing up on these creatures??

There was no grinding or weird grinding or pops. Just stopped working after a long cruise.
I pulled the inspection cover and it was good for just looking at the back of a blackened flywheel but couldn't see much else.
Why put a cover on it if you cant see anything anyway...

I have it up in the air now to look at stuff and that is one loooong tranny probably lighter than the SM465 I'm putting in my CJ right now but I would hate to pull it for something simple.

Any one have a good link on replacing the clutch?
Help an old CJer out here..
Do you have to drop the exhaust manifold also. Please say there is a neat trick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-21-2017, 09:52 PM
K9kodi

You sound like you know your way around but I would check fluid in the reservoirs both master and slave before doing anything else. If you have it I would suspect clutch or throw out besring
post #3 of 14 Old 08-22-2017, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Funny thing, I was looking for a reservoirs for the Clutch master cylinder to check the fluid level only to find out that it shares the same reservoirs with the brake fluid. I see a lot of dripping brake fluid in my future.

Is there way of measuring the stroke of the slave cylinder to make sure it is moving far enough? Can you take it off and make a measurement? I can hear it moving, pushing on the TO bearing against the pressure plate fingers.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-22-2017, 05:14 AM
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
If you pull the slave cylinder out of the bellhousing and make any attempt to measure its stroke, I'm about 98% certain the piston will pop out of it and let air into the system.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-22-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

So,... There is that 1% huh....

post #6 of 14 Old 08-22-2017, 11:03 AM
RIPSAW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
If you start it in second gear, will it shift to 3rd? I assume once started in gear, the clutch is working and with it pushed in, the vehicle is not pulling? Is that so?

16 Crosstrek, 04 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4, 04 Harley Softail Deuce, 93 YJ 2.5 AX5
post #7 of 14 Old 08-22-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

If I start in 2nd, and with the clutch pedal pushed down, it will immediately start pulling.
That's how I got it into my barn, start it in 1st/low and creep into position and shut it off. Kinda scary as I had to back up towards a 500 gallon propane tank. Didn't want to make any mistakes then.

I'll try shifting tonight, I'm guessing it will probably be like shifting without using the clutch. As soon as the engine RPM matches the gear RPM it will slip into the next gear.

But that's just a guess and guess are expensive.

post #8 of 14 Old 08-22-2017, 12:19 PM
K9kodi

Yes, and that wouldn't help with your issue as your bypassing it. I had a similar issue on an old Nissan Pathfinder to find out it was the slave cylinder. As a high school kid at the time I was sweating it thinking the damn clutch was out, nope, bad slave cylinder
post #9 of 14 Old 08-25-2017, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Found it!
Clutch cracked!!!
Attached Images

post #10 of 14 Old 08-25-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Ended up being jammed hard between the clutch and the pressure plate.

Here is what it suppose to go
Attached Images

post #11 of 14 Old 08-25-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

New clutch kit and throw out bearing ready to go back in.
Attached Images

post #12 of 14 Old 08-26-2017, 06:25 AM
RIPSAW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
WOT and slipping the clutch foot to the left put a lot of squeeze to those drive line damper springs...
post #13 of 14 Old 08-26-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

So does teaching two young girls how to drive with a manual tranny.

Oh my neck was sore after that...

post #14 of 14 Old 09-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Centerforce
Vendor

We're glad you were able to get to the bottom of the issue. Thanks for choosing Centerforce for your replacement! We'd love to hear how you like it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.