obtaining anti-theft radio code - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > obtaining anti-theft radio code

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Reply
Unread 03-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
tab28
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 61
obtaining anti-theft radio code

Has anyone been able to obtain this code for a radio they did not originally own? I have been trying to get the code from local dealers with no success. Some have no idea what I am talking about. Others say the radio needs to be flashed. Others say only the original owner can get the code. Online says you need the original vin # and radio s/n I have both but no luck. Is this just a local dealership problem or is it a giant Mopar mess up?

tab28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
plac
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 1,425
i am screwed on this too.. i bought a low end RES radio off ebay last week. came right out of the guys new 2012 Wrangler. He didnt say it was locked. I didn't even think of that when I bought it, because a radio upgrade I did for my 2007 JK never asked for a code. I am trying to get the VIN of the guys Jeep thru ebay communication but I doubt he will give it to me. I can always leave a negative feedback, but that won't help me resolve this situation at all. I have the guys address on the shipping box to prove the address matches the owner, IF he gets me the VIN.. im really bummed, cuz i waited a week for this to arrive and then when i plugged it in it says enter code... i wanted to add the built-in SIRIUS....

IF I were to buy a brand new radio.. (and pay up the butt), does anyone know if they come with the code? or are those only dealer installable? of course thats $100 vs $700... for a low end radio...
__________________
2013 VW GTI
plac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
plac
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 1,425
anyone know if this new "anti-theft" stuff for 2012's is attached to the vehicle, or the 2012 radios? Need to determine if a 2011 radio might work in my Jeep without a code. Which is a shame, as I have a mint radio I just bought out of a 2012...

__________________
2013 VW GTI
plac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
tab28
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
anyone know if this new "anti-theft" stuff for 2012's is attached to the vehicle, or the 2012 radios? Need to determine if a 2011 radio might work in my Jeep without a code. Which is a shame, as I have a mint radio I just bought out of a 2012...

From what I have read the anti theft started with all 2012 jeeps. The front of the radio says anti theft. If you can see a picture of the radio as long it does not say that you should be OK. I finally got the code. No local dealer would give to me since the 2012 was not registered to me. The owner finally got it from his dealer. This anti thieft will kill resale on eBay. If you are updating your 2007 to get BTS and USB I think it started with 2011 wranglers.

If the person you got the radio from can not get the code and you do not want to take the long time it will take to put in the almost 1300 possiblitites send it back. I found a short cut. When you put in 5 failed codes there is a 30 minute engine running wait before you can try 5 more codes. But you can pull the radio fuse. Start engine turn off and reset fuse. This will reset the radio code attempt.
tab28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
plac
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab28 View Post
From what I have read the anti theft started with all 2012 jeeps. The front of the radio says anti theft. If you can see a picture of the radio as long it does not say that you should be OK. I finally got the code. No local dealer would give to me since the 2012 was not registered to me. The owner finally got it from his dealer. This anti thieft will kill resale on eBay. If you are updating your 2007 to get BTS and USB I think it started with 2011 wranglers.

If the person you got the radio from can not get the code and you do not want to take the long time it will take to put in the almost 1300 possiblitites send it back. I found a short cut. When you put in 5 failed codes there is a 30 minute engine running wait before you can try 5 more codes. But you can pull the radio fuse. Start engine turn off and reset fuse. This will reset the radio code attempt.
lol.. 1300 codes... that would take like.. weeks.
__________________
2013 VW GTI
plac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
tab28
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 61
Yes it is time consuming. I tried 125 codes before I got it from the seller. I had a list and would scratch off any tried ones. I would skip around the list and I actually was off by one digit in tries. When I finally got it it was as if I was in a haze after the week on no success. When the radio stated code accepted I though it was all a dream.
tab28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
plac
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 1,425
thats an awesome story.

i think im looking good. the seller is supposed to send me the VIN of his jeep tonight. and i was at my dealer today inquiring. i showed them a pic of the shipping box with original owners address. i had the radio in my hand. they said if i bring the VIN they can probably get it for me. i'll find out Monday if they do it.. i guess i should throw them a $20 if they do, its pretty valuable to me.
__________________
2013 VW GTI
plac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler
 
JTPhoto's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Gillies Ontario
Posts: 1,836
07-11 have blue tooth, USB, and phone jack for iPod depending on which unit you get.
__________________
^^Jeff^^
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
JeepCares
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters, Chrysler Group LLC
Posts: 2,511
Starting in model year 2012 radios came equipped with an anti-theft feature. Once a
radio is installed in a vehicle, it learns the vehicle’s VIN and cannot be used in another
vehicle unless an anti-theft code is applied.

Service Bulletin 08-011-12 explains this to the dealer.
__________________
U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
plac
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Starting in model year 2012 radios came equipped with an anti-theft feature. Once a
radio is installed in a vehicle, it learns the vehicle’s VIN and cannot be used in another
vehicle unless an anti-theft code is applied.
good info, i hope my local dealer gets me the code i need today.

but a follow up then.. when a jeep learns its new radio.. does it then erase the old radio from its memory, or would BOTH the old and new radio work in that VIN at that point?
__________________
2013 VW GTI
plac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
tab28
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
good info, i hope my local dealer gets me the code i need today.

but a follow up then.. when a jeep learns its new radio.. does it then erase the old radio from its memory, or would BOTH the old and new radio work in that VIN at that point?
This brings up good point. It the radio refreshes its memory to remember the new vin # once reinstalled. The radio may only be able to be resold once.

If it is installed legally into a another jeep and that jeep gets sold. The radio may still change hands later via the new owner via upgrade or just salvaged radio. These people would never be able to trace the code since you would not know the original vin # or Mopar would not know the current legal install vin #. I am guessing this would be a nightmare and the radio codes could be traced via the serial and P/N alone. The vin # may be only to prove the original owner but after a year of two vin # proof of radio would not work.
tab28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
plac
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab28 View Post
This brings up good point. It the radio refreshes its memory to remember the new vin # once reinstalled. The radio may only be able to be resold once.

If it is installed legally into a another jeep and that jeep gets sold. The radio may still change hands later via the new owner via upgrade or just salvaged radio. These people would never be able to trace the code since you would not know the original vin # or Mopar would not know the current legal install vin #. I am guessing this would be a nightmare and the radio codes could be traced via the serial and P/N alone. The vin # may be only to prove the original owner but after a year of two vin # proof of radio would not work.
SCORED. Well the dealer got me the code, and the new radio is working.

Then I also solved the above problem with a test. I plugged my original radio back in. No locks, no codes, worked fine. So you only have to enter a code 1 time for any radio which is mated to your Jeep.
__________________
2013 VW GTI
plac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.