Not Your Average JOG (Jumping out of gear) Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Not Your Average JOG (Jumping out of gear) Thread

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 12-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
BiggBird
2008 JK Wrangler 

Not Your Average JOG (Jumping out of gear) Thread

Hey Guys,

I've read quite a bit about 1st gear jumping out of gear, and I understand that it's not necessarily a mechanical danger. However, I get home from school for thanksgiving break, and on the drive back, my transmission light comes on. I can't tell if it has to do with the JOG issue, or is something else actually wrong? I plan on checking the fluid tomorrow, and left a message at my service department at home to see if it's ok to drive home, but I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience to me. The transmission, apart from sounding a little more rough than usual when shifting into gear, sounds and feels the same underway, and I'm trying to figure out if I can make the 400 miles home without and issue. Any thoughts are welcome.

Unread 12-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
MyJKU14
2014 JK Wrangler 

What does the code tell you?

Colorado Jeep Club #281

Past Jeeps: '02 WJ Overland, '02 WJ Limited, '08 KK Sport
MyJKU14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
ncb

I don't recall the manual transmission having a warning light.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

I can't find a transmission light anywhere on the 2008 dash display diagram in the owners manual either...
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
BiggBird
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thats really quite interesting... It used to come on sometimes when I'd put the key in but not starting it. Ill have to check the manual though. i was trying to think of something beside fluid loss that would cause a manual transmission to have an issue.
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
BiggBird
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ok, I guess what was the Transmission Light is called the malfunction indication light, and what I'm seeing is that it's a "check engine light" seeing as i don't see that. Ill probably either drive over to the dealer or get a code reader iphone app and the obd2 dongle. May have to do with my stereo. Thanks for the advice!
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
ncb

It was probably the check engine light. The transmission fluid in the standard transmission isn't monitored in any way. The check engine light will be on with the ignition on and the engine not running.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.