Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Not a Monster Build Thread - BlkOps / TOGM 2011 JK

45K views 214 replies 30 participants last post by  5e4r6t 
#1 ·
Not a Monster Build Thread - BlkOps 2011 JK

After being a consummate lurker / semi-stalker on the forum for quite a while, I have decided to finally create a build thread for our 2011 JK. As most of the work on the Jeep has been completed and I didn't get pictures of everything in progress, I'll do the best I can to back fit and post in chronological order what we've done.

We don't have a garage to work in so the work has been done in the driveway on weekends and most times late at night under construction work lights. We have a few more things to add when time, money and a good weather window allows. Going forward I'll try to document things a little more thoroughly.

My husband (TOGM) has done all the work himself with the exception of the powder coating and Rhino Lining. I do help him when I can but it usually consists of holding the dumb end of the tape measure or handing him something while he's under the Jeep. For full disclosure I am neither a mechanic nor a technical writer. If you have a question about anything I post, I'll try to answer or if I don't know, I'll get the answer from the real expert. Feel free to comment, compliment, critique, criticize, and please enjoy this slightly different perspective on a Jeep build.

This is how it sits today:

See less See more
#169 ·
Magnitude Engineering Hinge Bushing Set - Black

Between the tube doors and the soft doors, the door hinge bushings were pretty chewed up. Thanks to Tanimal for the replacement recommendations. The Delrin bushings installed easily, fit nicely, and hopefully will hold up better than the stock. They only come for four doors so we have an extra set that will go to one of the girls for their Jeep.

#176 ·
Used left over parts on daughters Rubi

While the daughter with the white Rubicon was home for the week-end TOGM took off the TJ mirrors (he converted earlier in the year when she got her soft doors), installed our spare set of door hinge bushings, and put her full doors back on for the winter. He also installed the stubby antenna, and added a set of flag decals. She was a happy camper!

#183 ·
Researching tub lining

I researched a lot on this forum and all across the Jeep community about the DIY bed liners and just couldn't convince myself (or TOGM) that we could come close to the professional job of Rhino Lining. To preempt the criticism for not DIY, let me just say he had the bed of his Dodge Ram done in 2002, it has been worked hard, sits in the weather 365 days a year and it still looks and performs great. This sold us on the Rhino Lining.

BTW ... I came home from a business trip to find the truck with this in the back headed to the local sawmill. TOGM had loaded it by himself using a come-along and the brace from the basketball goal. :eyebulge:

#193 ·
Painted Tan colored interior

During the Holidays, I got a little behind on the build thread but will catch it up over the next couple of days.

While we had the Jeep stripped for the Rhino lining, we decided to paint the tan colored interior pieces. When we bought it, I briefly thought Khaki might be the "accent color" on the black Jeep so I didn't mind the oddly mismatched interior. When silver seemed to be the better fit, the tan colored pieces really stood out. They were a combination of molded tan plastic as well as black that had been painted tan. We used Krylon Fusion for Plastics Black Satin. It did a great job of covering over the pieces … hopefully it will hold up ok. It is not a perfect paint match but close enough.

#195 ·
Tuffy Back Hatch cover and Steel Glove Box

While we still have the Jeep interior torn apart for Rhino Lining, TOGM went on a quest to replace some of the interior parts (Back Hatch cover and Glove Box) with metal locking components. We went with all Tuffy products. Since they are metal, we painted with Duplicolor black bed liner in a can. It is much, much thinner than the Rhino Lining and has a less sturdy feel but seems to cover ok and will help protect them from the elements. We are very pleased with the quality and fit of the Tuffy products.

#196 ·
Tuffy Back Under the Seat Security boxes

We also wanted to add some security boxes under the front seats. Apparently there aren't acceptable off the shelf boxes for under the 2011+ 2 Door JK seats so he had to modify both the boxes made for the JKU and the seat frame cross members to make it work. We ended up with very roomy storage lock boxes under both seats.

Again we used Duplicolor black bed liner in a can to touch up the Rhino lining and paint the new steel boxes, it is much, much thinner than the Rhino Lining but seems to cover ok. Time will tell how it holds up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.