Not a Monster Build Thread - BlkOps / TOGM 2011 JK - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Not a Monster Build Thread - BlkOps / TOGM 2011 JK

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #61
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Viair 400C Onboard Air System w/ 2 gallon tank

For Onboard Air we went with a Viair Kit. If buying individual parts, there might have been some upgrades, but all in all the kit made it quick and easy for install. All the connectors and brackets shipping together was very convenient. The functionality is great but at some point we’ll upgrade the compressor. Sometimes when airing up tires after wheeling, we have to wait for the tank to refill to get all four tires aired back up.

BlkOpsRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #62
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Onboard Air System upgraded air hose

During our first off road trip with the new OBA system installed, we had a hose failure. The heat, the quality of the hose, and the routing of the hose caused a burn through. Our first thought when we heard the air hissing out was that we had a blown tire and were extremely relieved to find the real problem. We bought upgraded hose and haven't had any problems since.
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #63
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

AEV Heat Reduction Hood

One of the things I don’t love about the JK is the wide, totally flat hood, it just looks a little squatty. A new hood was another one of our hotly debated modifications. I’ll admit I wanted the AEV just for the looks but led with the functionality conversation. TOGM didn’t like the idea of spending so much money on a whole new hood when cut louvers could pretty much accomplish the same heat reduction. It took awhile, but I finally convinced him that it could be my Anniversary, Birthday, and Christmas presents for the next few years.

We ordered it through Quadratec with the JeepForum discount (reduced shipping). We had a local shop (HTC Racing) powder coat in a high gloss and wrinkle finish. The mixed finishes are apparently very difficult to do. The transition line from glossy to textured wasn’t as sharp as they wanted on the first few tries, so it took them about 6 weeks to get it through their QC.

I have to say that I love the look and, more importantly, you can really see the heat waves pouring from the vents. It definitely does what it is designed for!

Unread 06-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #64
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Drake Hood Latches

The new hood just demanded DRAKE Hood Hold Downs and DRAKE Black Turnbuckles!
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #65
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Solid Axle Industries Diff Cover

After beating the stock diff covers for over a year, we finally upgraded to SOLID Axle Industries Heavy Duty Dana 44 Differential Covers.

The only real drawback with this cover is the lube filler plug is located too high. There is no way to accurately check the level, you just have to measure it going in.

Unread 06-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #66
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Gilbert PA and Camping

Each year in September we attend a Military Vehicle Show in Gilbert, PA. TOGM takes his big truck and I drive a chase vehicle (now my Jeep). We camp out of the back of the deuce.

Our friend owns this granddaddy ... it makes my Jeep look so little!

Unread 06-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #67
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

RIPP GEN II Supercharger

As mentioned in an earlier post, we spent quite a bit of time at the RIPP booth at the PA Jeep Show. They gave us a sneak preview of their new Blacked out (powder coated) Super Charger. With all the weight we’d put on our Jeep, it was just a real dog for having any get up and go. I convinced TOGM we really needed the super charger for safety reasons. You know to safely merge into traffic and such.

Jeep locked down the ECU on the 2011 so that it must be replaced to be tuned. RIPP included a new computer as part of the “2011 SC kit” programmed for the correct VIN. I had some minor confusion about the program and tune procedure (my responsibility). Other than that, the install went flawless.

Also, let me say a big thank you to Jeeprin and ArtiRubi for their respective write ups on their SC installs. The tips and tricks noted were invaluable. The RIPP install documents are very detailed, accurate and have better “how-to” pictures than I can post so I won’t repeat anything contained there.

The cruise control does not work with the supercharger ... TOGM knew that up front apparently. I suppose it has something to do with the 2010 Computer in a 2011 Jeep.

The impression on SC performance.... AWESOME! While it is not a race car and still handles like driving a brick ... the added boost makes it a lot more enjoyable. I can't begin to describe the increased power, snap back the head acceleration, the get up and go on hills, and the resulting ear-to–ear grins. The MPG is not as impressive but better than it was. We are averaging about 17 MPG.

The “Tactical Package” ordered came in blacked out condition (powder coated) from RIPP:

Only one minor modification, had to elongate the top bracket holes for a proper fit and fabbed a bottom bracket to hold the intercooler a little more securely:

Stealth mode … you can barely tell it’s there!
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #68
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

3000 Miles in 10 days with the Top Down

Three days after the Super Charger install, we left for a vacation from Boston thru the Canadian Maritimes. The weather gods were smiling on us for this 10 day road trip. We were able to go all 2900+ miles without putting the top up. There were a couple of minor rain showers that we just toughed it out, but all in all we had beautiful weather for touring. The 43 F morning was a little nippy but the bread baking ability of the JK's heater and the ˝ soft doors made it tolerable even with no top.

Unread 06-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #69
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

RIPP SC Air Filter Sock

With the AEV Hood, the passenger side vent is right in line with the air filter but so far we haven't experienced any noticeable moisture issues. To make it a little more resistant to water blowing or splashing in through the vent, we installed the Air Filter sock from RIPP. It is just a generic make and in fact fits rather loosely on the supplied filter. It also did not have a hole in it for the breather tube. We heated an ice pick with a torch and slowly burned a hole in it to route the hose through.
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #70
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Debadging / American Flag

If you remember back at the beginning, I wanted to totally remove the COD decal. A year and a half later, I finally convinced TOGM to remove it and replace with an American Flag. Keeping with the blacked out theme, we wanted to use a flag in grayscale. I ordered five different sets from PixelDecals.com, not knowing exactly what color would look best. I ordered Light Grey, Dark Grey, Matte Black, Charcoal Metallic and Dark Charcoal Metallic.

We first put on the Light Grey but they ended up being too light in the sunlight. The Dark Grey was the best match with the ragged star decal so that is what we went with. Our daughters (one Red Jeep and one White Jeep) have asked for the unused decals for their Jeeps so not a complete waste.

Unread 06-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #71
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Patriot Jeepers Doomsday Trail Ride

Patriot Jeepers had a Jeep run for Dec. 22 = Doomsday!

Unread 06-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #72
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Patriot Jeepers 2013 Moab Trip

Patriot Jeepers Club scheduled a trip to Moab in May 2013. TOGM couldn’t get his work schedule to mesh with the trip timeline so one of my daughters went with me. He still gets a little twitchy when we talk about it.

I would loved to have driven my Jeep there but we flew into Grand Junction, CO and rented Jeeps in Moab. It was our first trip and we were just blown away by the terrain and scenery. Two of the club members drove their own Jeeps out so we had winches, tools, emergency equipment / supplies, etc.

Unread 06-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #73
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Patriot Jeepers OFR Tail Ride June 2013

Patriot Jeepers June camping and trail ride on Old Florida Road which is one of the toughest trails in Mass.

Unread 06-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #74
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Next Mod Teaser

So here is a teaser for our next mod. Any guesses?
Unread 06-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #75
redrover24

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkOpsRubi View Post
My daughters parking their Rubicons by ours for some poser shots
Hey that is a really sharp looking red Jeep!
redrover24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.