Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Not a Monster Build Thread - BlkOps / TOGM 2011 JK

45K views 214 replies 30 participants last post by  5e4r6t 
#1 ·
Not a Monster Build Thread - BlkOps 2011 JK

After being a consummate lurker / semi-stalker on the forum for quite a while, I have decided to finally create a build thread for our 2011 JK. As most of the work on the Jeep has been completed and I didn't get pictures of everything in progress, I'll do the best I can to back fit and post in chronological order what we've done.

We don't have a garage to work in so the work has been done in the driveway on weekends and most times late at night under construction work lights. We have a few more things to add when time, money and a good weather window allows. Going forward I'll try to document things a little more thoroughly.

My husband (TOGM) has done all the work himself with the exception of the powder coating and Rhino Lining. I do help him when I can but it usually consists of holding the dumb end of the tape measure or handing him something while he's under the Jeep. For full disclosure I am neither a mechanic nor a technical writer. If you have a question about anything I post, I'll try to answer or if I don't know, I'll get the answer from the real expert. Feel free to comment, compliment, critique, criticize, and please enjoy this slightly different perspective on a Jeep build.

This is how it sits today:

See less See more
#89 ·
Just went through the entire thread. Love this build. I am going to at some point install most of these exact items so its great to see what they will look like when i am finished.

And my guess for whats in the box would be a Trail Cage from PSC.

#91 ·
Just went through the entire thread. Love this build. I am going to at some point install most of these exact items so its great to see what they will look like when i am finished.

And my guess for whats in the box would be a Trail Cage from PSC.
Thank you and you guessed correct! :highfive: As you can tell by the snow in this picture ... it has been in the box for awhile.

#93 ·
Poison Spyder Trail Cage Kit

We did the dry fit for the Poison Spyder Trail Cage this past week-end and got all the drilling and prep work done. I dropped it off for powder coating today. If all goes according to plan, TOGM will get it installed next Saturday!

At first I wasn't too sure about the bolted in design as all of our other Jeeps had custom made welded cages. TOGM is an engineer by education and occupation and he spent a lot of time reviewing the specs on this product. If he is satisfied with the Poison Spyder structural design, then I know it must be good. I like the look of the interlocking couplers, they have a very clean and low profile appearance ... no big knuckles anywhere.

#125 ·
Got the Trail Cage back nice and shiny. The install was pretty uneventful as all the fit up and prep drilling was done before it was powder coated. I like how it gives it a more old school look.

Because of the open channel design, I drilled four 3/16" weep holes in each corner for water drainage. These were drilled prior to powder coating. Future plans may include designing a cover plate for it.

#96 ·
There is a minor pending item to complete on the cage install … the trim. The instructions say to "trim to fit wherever necessary" the plastic trim. I voted to just leave it off but it looks very unfinished. TOGM cut it and fit it back up as much as possible. He will not rest until he comes up with a way to hide the cut plastic edges and gaping holes.

#100 ·
Safari Straps Warrior cage Netting

With the new trail cage, I thought the Safari Straps Warrior Extended Long cage netting looked a little busy and talked TOGM into ordering a new set of Safari Straps Warrior cage. Much better.

The long set will go to one of the twins if they want it. If not, we'll list on craigslist. I don't see us ever going back to the long set.

#114 ·
With the new trail cage, I thought the Safari Straps Warrior Extended Long cage netting looked a little busy and talked TOGM into ordering a new set of Safari Straps Warrior cage. Much better.

The long set will go to one of the twins if they want it. If not, we'll list on craigslist. I don't see us ever going back to the long set.
Clean, I love when Jeeps are built right... How do you like your Safari Straps? Quality, Fit, Etc...

#101 ·
2013 PA Jeeps Show

A couple of weeks ago we attended the PA Jeeps Show and had a good time in spite of the extreme heat. Of course, we didn't win anything but had a blast playing on the rocks. They seemed to be bigger this year. I was too chicken to try them at this show but TOGM went through several times and only got hung up once. The Bobcat like machine came to his rescue!:teehee:

#103 ·
RIPP Tramp Stamp

My shopping list was pretty short this year. We did pick up a tramp stamp at the RIPP booth. I also asked about the RIPP SUPERCHARGERS "SHOW US YOUR RIG" CONTEST! They assured me it was still on and would be revived soon. Sold me the tramp stamp at a good discount to show good faith! It is still sitting on my dining room table, yet to be installed.

#104 ·
As you will notice (like or not) we really like Poison Spyder products. Over the past couple of years TOGM has occasionally lobbied for the Crusher Corners Armor but I didn’t like the round tail lights. While I appreciate the functionality, I thought the lights looked too modern and trendy. Recently, he happened to mention that his old Willy’s Jeep (long gone before I was in the picture) had round tail lights. From that one conversation and online research, my perception of the round lights totally changed from trendy to retro. Call me shallow but with this enlightenment, I agreed that the corner armor was a have-to-have! We did order them at the PA Jeep Show with the show discount.

#105 ·
The other thing we ordered were new shocks. I saw several demo rigs whose shocks had a separate reservoir. I’ll show my ignorance by saying that I didn’t know when or why you would use them but as soon as I showed a tiny bit of interest in learning, TOGM gave me a crash course and rushed me to the Rock Krawler booth to talk to the reps. I’m still not 100% sure we NEED them but TOGM had them ordered at the show before I could think twice.

#106 ·
We wanted to look around at wheels. When we bought our Pro Comp rims, we didn’t think we needed bead locks (at least I didn’t). They haven’t held up as well as we expected so at some point we’ll upgrade. TOGM really likes the engineering behind the Hutchenson Rock Monster Wheels (he has Hutchenson brand on one of his restored military trucks and are DOT compliant). They don’t have a rock ring but the rep said in a couple of months we should see one available. I actually liked the looks of the Method Racing Wheels. We are still researching and trying to decide. Didn’t order wheels at the show.

#109 ·
Ha Ha ... Nope we thought long and hard about the tire size and kept it at 35" for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is the local club we wheel with has a max tire size of 35" to try to preserve the quality of the trails. The North East has few enough areas to legally wheel, we want to keep those areas open. Plus, I'm kind of old school in my thinking ... a good spotter, a good driver, and a moderately built Jeep can usually keep up with the big boys just fine.

#111 ·
Poison Spyder Crusher Corners dry fit

The order for the corner armor came in and we did the dry fit and install prep. Integrated fenders would have been preferable but we already have the Poison Spyder fenders and the body armor behind the rocker knockers installed so we just went with the corners. All in all they fit up pretty well, just had to trim about 1/8" off where each side met the body armor.

#127 ·
2nd Annual Jeep Fest - Norwood MA

Took it out to a Jeep Fest hosted by one of the local Jeep Dealers in Norwood, MA. This is about 30 miles from where I live so had not been to that dealership. Apparently it is not just a dealership but a destination … they have a store with Jeep logo'd paraphernalia (Just for Jeeps) and a restaurant (Jeep Grill). The Swag bag wasn't bad.

A few pictures of some the rigs I saw. My favorite Jeep was a restored 1980 CJ5 V8 with a 4 speed. It was just like one I used to have (black with lots of chrome). There was always a crowd around it so I ended up not getting a picture :pout:

One of our four free raffle tickets won 2 adult rides on "Codzilla"!:2thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.