Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Not a Monster Build Thread - BlkOps / TOGM 2011 JK

45K views 214 replies 30 participants last post by  5e4r6t 
#1 ·
Not a Monster Build Thread - BlkOps 2011 JK

After being a consummate lurker / semi-stalker on the forum for quite a while, I have decided to finally create a build thread for our 2011 JK. As most of the work on the Jeep has been completed and I didn't get pictures of everything in progress, I'll do the best I can to back fit and post in chronological order what we've done.

We don't have a garage to work in so the work has been done in the driveway on weekends and most times late at night under construction work lights. We have a few more things to add when time, money and a good weather window allows. Going forward I'll try to document things a little more thoroughly.

My husband (TOGM) has done all the work himself with the exception of the powder coating and Rhino Lining. I do help him when I can but it usually consists of holding the dumb end of the tape measure or handing him something while he's under the Jeep. For full disclosure I am neither a mechanic nor a technical writer. If you have a question about anything I post, I'll try to answer or if I don't know, I'll get the answer from the real expert. Feel free to comment, compliment, critique, criticize, and please enjoy this slightly different perspective on a Jeep build.

This is how it sits today:

See less See more
#2 ·
Modifications to Date:

I really appreciate the index idea that several people have done with their build threads, so I'm going to try to link the topics with the posts in mine. It will keep me organized as well.

Here is a list of the mods and add-ons so far:
Rugged Ridge Tube Doors
Safari Straps Warrior Cage Extended Long cargo netting (now replaced with Standard Warrior Cage)
Safari Straps accessories
Bestop Soft Top Quick Disconnects
Rock Krawler 2 ½" Lift Kit and Rock Krawler RRD Racing Shocks (shocks have been replaced)
Wet Okole Seat Covers
Weather Tech Floor Mats
DIY Mesh Grill Mod
Headlight and turn guards
Poison Spyder JK Evaporator Skid Plate
Poison Spyder Crusher Flares Aluminum Fenders
Poison Spyder JK Brawler Lite Front Bumper w/ brawl bar DOM tube style gussets
Poison Spyder Rock Brawler Rear Bumper w/ tire swing carrier
Poison Spyder Hi-Lift Jack Mount and HI-LIFT JACK 48" X-treme Silver
Poison Spyder Aluminum Body Armor and Rocker Knockers w/ slide bar
Warn M8000 Winch
Rough Country Dual Steering Stabilizer
MBRP Off Road Stainless Cat Back Exhaust, Flow Master Hush Power Resonator, and RIPP SS Long Tube Headers w/ Cats
Drake Shifter Knobs
Bestop 2 piece Soft Doors
Pro Comp Wheels and 35" Wrangler MTR Tires
Custom Safari Straps Tube Doors Webbing
Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Tailgate Cover (MOLLE system)
Warn Synthetic Winch Cable
sPOD modified with backlit air pressure gauge and map lights
High Amp Relay for Winch
PIAA 5461 540 Series Ion Crystal Black Fog Lamps
Custom Flag Holder
Bubba Rope
aFe Cold Air Intake (now removed)
Viair 400C Onboard Air System w/ 2 gallon tank
OBA upgraded air hose
AEV Heat Reduction Hood
Drake Hood Latches
Solid Axle Industries Diff Cover
Tactical Package RIPP GEN II Supercharger
Bestop All Weather Trail Cover
Poison Spyder Trail Cage Kit
Safari Straps Warrior Cargo Net
Poison Spyder Crusher Corners
RIPP Tramp Stamp
Rock Krawler Tie Rod & Remote Reservoir Shocks
Cravenspeed "The Stubby" (now replaced)
JK to CJ Mirror Conversion
Magnitude Engineering Hinge Bushing Set - Black
Drake Billet Antenna
Prepping for Rhino Lining
Rhino Lining
Painted Tan colored interior
Tuffy Back Hatch cover
Tuffy Steel Glove Box
Tuffy Center Console
Tuffy under the seat security boxes
Amber Fog Light bulbs

#3 ·
Background / Our Story

We each owned Jeeps before we met, have owned several Jeeps together, but went Jeepless for a few years to focus on raising 5 kids. With an empty nest, we decided to get another Jeep. A lot of consideration and discussion went into determining if we wanted to go back to an old Jeep (Willys or CJ), buy a newer used Jeep (TJ), or buy a brand spanking new Jeep. As TOGM has several ongoing Military Vehicle "projects", he decided that a new, non-rusted, non-corroded vehicle was preferable for wrenching and I wanted something stable, comfortable, and safe on and off road; we settled on a new 2011 JK.

We "agreed to agree" on all mods so some of them took a bit of time, in fact many hours of lively debate to reach a consensus. I don't want anything that looks "monster truck-ish" or "hummer-esque" and knowing that we don't ever want a trailer queen or dedicated trail rig, we are intentionally keeping the modifications and upgrades on the conservative side. We are very old school in what we like and don't like on our Jeeps so there are a few things you WON'T see appear on the mod list. A few things (not many) were vetoed outright by one or the other of us.

#4 ·
2011 COD Package

We wanted to start with a Rubicon, manual transmission, soft top only, no convenience package or option frills. I liked the stealth markings (or lack of) of the 2011 COD package and we found one in Ohio … road trip from Boston!

We passed this about 15 minutes before our arrival at the dealership and 30 minutes before their scheduled closing time on Saturday! We couldn't even slow down for a decent picture but it is an eye catcher!

People often ask what we liked about the COD package and I'd have to say it is the understated markings. No Rubicon sticker, no wrangler, no trail rated badge, etc. The dark wheels, the matt black hood decal, the gas fill cover, the rear light guards, all seemed to be worth the $700 upgrade at the time.
Year & Model: 2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon Call of Duty Edition
Transmission: Stock - 6 Speed Manual

#6 ·
Rugged Ridge JK Tube Doors

The next urgent mod that we wanted was to replace the full doors. We'd never had a Jeep with real doors and they just didn't feel right to us. While we were researching soft doors and /or half doors, we ordered Rugged Ridge tube doors from Xtreme Terrain and a mirror relocation kit for the summer. They were selected because of the larger tube OD and they came with a textured wrinkle finish.

#9 ·
First Off-Road damage to the Jeep happened in a hotel room

We traveled to the PA Jeep Show with the full doors on (6 hour highway trip) and brought the tube doors to install for the weekend. When we arrived at the hotel we took the full doors off, loaded them onto a luggage cart, up the elevator and into the hotel room for storage for the weekend. Sometime during the stay, they shifted and the passenger door left a 1/16" x 3" gouge in the driver's side paint. I don't have a picture of it and it has now been touched up, but thought the story warranted inclusion in the thread!:laugh:

#11 ·
2011 PA Jeep Show - Show Results

We attended the PA Jeep Show in York, about a month and a half after we bought the JK. We entered it in the JK stock division so that we could park on the fairgrounds in-field (close to the vendors). Never in a million years did we expect to place but lo and behold we took 1st place. The tube doors and cargo nets were listed as our two minor mods for the stock submission. Definitely a cheesy picture but just had to post it!

#12 ·
PA Jeep Show - Decisions made

We had done our research (me lurking on this and other Jeep forums) and had a pretty good idea what modifications we wanted, what products, and what vendors we wanted to go with. After hounding every vendor at the Jeep show for information, technical data, demos, and discounted pricing we made the decision on lift, bumpers, fenders, and exhaust. After getting a first hand look and talking to the vendor reps, we ended up with some different manufacturers than we originally planned to order from.

The show discounted orders were placed for the parts.

#13 ·
Rock Krawler 2 ½" Lift Kit and Rock Krawler RRD Racing Shocks

The suspension came in first. We wanted to stay at a 2 1/2" lift and had narrowed it down between Teraflex and Rock Krawler, both are worthy contenders. We ended up going with the Rock Krawler 2.5" Full Travel Lift Suspension and Rock Krawler RRD Racing Shocks. This provides a lift with very good flex while keeping all the geometry for the OEM computer traction controls and required no steering modification.

I apologize for the photos, that's my job and I usually have to play ninja to get any. TOGM was halfway through the job before I knew it.

#18 ·
Poison Spyder Order

At the PA Jeep show, we spent quite a bit of time at the Poison Spyder booth. One of their demo Jeeps was pretty close to the stance and profile that we were looking for so we just bit the bullet and went for it. The shipment was so large and weighed so much it was shipped on skids. We had to have it delivered to someplace with a forklift. Fortunately, we have a friend with a nursery that agreed to receive it. He found humor in the Poison Spyder logo boxes delivered to a plant nursery. :laugh:

We sent the pieces out to a local shop (HTC Racing) for powder coating in a mix of glossy and textured wrinkle finishes. They did a fantastic job.

#19 ·
Poison Spyder JK Evaporator Canister Skid Plate

We knew a vulnerability of our new Jeep is the placement of the plastic evaporative canister. It is susceptible to be damaged or torn off on the trail. We liked that the Poison Spyder Skid keeps the canister in its factory location, with original electrical and vapor connections intact, while fully protecting it from all sides.

#22 ·
Love the thread so far but I am surprised you went with powder coating instead of just doing some spray on bedliner on the bumpers/rails for easy touch ups. How do you like your Rock Krawler lift? I have the 2.5 Max Travel and I absolutely love it but I'm riding on the Bilstein 5100s, still no complaints.

#23 ·
Poison Spyder Rock Brawler Rear Bumper w/ tire swing carrier

Ordered Parts List:
Poison Spyder JK Rock Brawler Rear Bumper w/ tire swing carrier CB/Whip mount
Poison Spyder JK 2.5" LED Back-up light clear
Poison Spyder Resistor Kit - Ordered but not used
Poison Spyder License Plate Light w/pigtail & harness
Poison Spyder License Plate Delete Plug

#29 ·
Poison Spyder JK 2-Door Body Armor Aluminum and Rocker Knockers w/ slide bar

Ordered Parts List:
Poison Spyder JK 2-Door Body Armor Aluminum
Poison Spyder JK 2-Door Rubber Body Armor Liner
Poison Spyder JK 2-Door Rocker Knockers w/ slide bar

I found some silver reflective tape to put behind the spider on the body armor. This turned out to be a minor regret on the Jeep. It has bleached out to look white and is just too bright in my opinion. TOGM says no way are we removing the rocker knockers and body armor just so I can peel off the reflective tape! I guess I just have to live with it. :pout:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.