Not loving my 18" Sahara rims too much.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Not loving my 18" Sahara rims too much..

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Not loving my 18" Sahara rims too much..

Not loving my 18" Sahara rims too much..

They just look a little "big" on my Jeep, and seem to take away some of the Jeep raw-ness.. Anyone else with 18" rims and any thoughts? These have the stock 32" tire I guess, which is the same size tire as the 17" Rubicon rims? I prefer a nice fat sidewall, and this 18" just looks kind of funny to me.

If I were to try and swap to a set of Rubicon take offs, think its a fair deal for a straight trade? Are the 18" worth about the same as the 17"?

Another thought, I'm pretty sure I dont have TPMS on my 2007, can anyone confirm? How would I know if I have it? I have my build sheet in email somewhere, maybe I'll check that..

Unread 04-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
Kheeney5
1999 WJ 

TPMS I believe goes on the end of the valve stems. If you don't notice it you probably don't have it. It will tell you on your dash somewhere if the tire pressure is low.
Kheeney5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

If you have metal valve stems, you have TPMS, if they are plastic/rubber, you do not. The TPMS module is inside the rim and can be transferred to new rims. I do not believe TPMS was std on 2007, they are on 2008 and later.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
aztec_doc
2013 JK Wrangler 

Were in California are you, Im trying to get rid of my 17" wheels for 250 obo. Already have replacement wheels.
aztec_doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm in SF Bay Area. Considering very low mileage flawless takeoffs with rims/tires. I need to look over some pics of silver 2 DR with Rubicon rims so i can compare side by side. I'm not fully convinced to dump my 18" yet, just thinking about it.
Unread 04-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec_doc View Post
Were in California are you, Im trying to get rid of my 17" wheels for 250 obo. Already have replacement wheels.
saw your ad. san ramon.. not interested in rims only. My tires are probably half gone, hence another reason to replace them. I would only buy with a set of tires with under 10k miles on them. There is a set of 5 Rubicon take offs on Craiglist with only 3,500 miles on them, but asking $1000 obo. Even for $800, I wouldnt be convinced. My 18" rims might look killer with a big set of new knobby tires.
Unread 04-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
ncb

Don't worry too much about finding flawless Rubi wheels. They'll get scratched on your first outing.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
CaseyC6
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Paint them black. Sand, use etching primer, and use black grill paint. Will look kick ***.
CaseyC6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
LIMETIME
2010 JK Wrangler 

You need bigger tires. Below are 33s on 18s...

Unread 04-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

ya i considered some 33's.. but i would hope they would fit without any lifts? i have the procal so that wouldnt be an issue. my 3.21 might be a bit weak for 33's but i still plan to up it a tad to 3.73 at some point.
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
Grinner
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
They just look a little "big" on my Jeep, and seem to take away some of the Jeep raw-ness.
Um, there's nothing "raw" about a Sahara. Kidding aside, black rims would look awesome with your silver color.
Grinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #12
LIMETIME
2010 JK Wrangler 

You won't notice much of an RPM change by going with 33s. It's only a 60 RPM difference at 70 MPH. You may notice the weight difference though. You can fit 33s just fine without a lift, but you may need 1.5" wheel spacers depending on the tire width. My pic above is with a Teraflex leveling kit.
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #13
AJ in Japan
Jeeps and Bikes - Yea!
2007 JK Wrangler 

Here's my Stock (painted) 18" rims with 35s.
jeep-10.jpg  

Mods:

3.5” Skyjacker lift / Currie adjustable control arms (all 8) / Skyjacker dual steering stabilizer /
Poly Performance front and rear track bar relocation kits RHD / Poly Performance high steer kit with drag link flip adapter / 35/12.50/18 BFG Mud Terrain tires on stock painted rims with 1.5” Spidertrax wheel spacers / 5.13 Superior Gears front and rear /gear ratio, tire size and 91 octane performance adjusted with Superchips controller / ARB differential covers / Skid Row front skid plate / Mopar undercarriage skid plates (stock in Japan) / Mopar Rock Crawler bumpers front and rear with rear tire carrier / High Lift Jack mounted on rear bumper (when off roading) / Smittybuilt black D-Rings front and rear / Rampage Products Convertible Side Bar/Rocker Guards / AEV Heat Reduction Hood with AEV Snorkel / 1” over fender extensions / KC running lights on windshield and front bumper / Stubby antenna in black/ Warrior Products Mirror Relocation Brackets when doors are off / Meiwa Ultra Performance Muffler / B & M transmission cooler / Quadratec Ultimate Front Floor Liners / Off Road Heroes Soft Top / Daystar Hood latches and spare tire bump stops / Glass lens headlights with H-4 bulbs (stock in Japan) – headlight and fog bulbs changed to Sylvania Silverstars / Off Road guards for headlights, fog lights and tail lights / MS Plus Navigation System / rear seat removed (1st mod) / and other stuff I can’t remember now

Next: Change the junk Skyjacker Nitro shocks to Bilstein 5100s (on back order now per Dave at Northridge) and change the junk Skyjacker sway bar disconnects to JKS.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AcOGjlq3YtGLj

http://www.vroc.org/view_profile.php?user_id=998

http://rogueownersgroup.com/MemberPage.aspx?id=10

Doing it on the left side in Kanazawa, Ishikawa Japan.

Riding a motorcycle is the only time in my existence when I can completely lose myself only to find myself.

It's not the destination.........

It's the ride!
AJ in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #14
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMETIME View Post
You won't notice much of an RPM change by going with 33s. It's only a 60 RPM difference at 70 MPH. You may notice the weight difference though. You can fit 33s just fine without a lift, but you may need 1.5" wheel spacers depending on the tire width. My pic above is with a Teraflex leveling kit.
I just ordered a Teraflex leveling kit tonight. I am into very slight changes, nothing major. My Jeep does not have any rake to it. So I'm not sure if I will use both spacers in front.

I wont get 33" for a while, im not gonna just waste my perfectly good 32" tires.

Then I'm always keeping an eye out for a used 3.73 gear set for my rear D44.
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #15
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ in Japan View Post
Here's my Stock (painted) 18" rims.
dang that looks pretty good. got a full thread on that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.