Noises after beach driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Noises after beach driving

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockRough Country 2.5" long arm suspension system

Unread 07-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
psheffern
2008 JK Wrangler 

Noises after beach driving

So I just took a trip to the OBX last week and drove on the beach a bit. Had the hot tranny oil light cone on so I would pull over and let it cool down and it would be fine.

Now that I'm home I hear some noises. Tranny seems fine while driving but shifting from park to any position makes an almost crunching sound and I hear a sort of wobble/knock coming from under the rear. Possibly the rear diff or axle? Not tire related as far as I can tell. Air pressure and all are fine. And the wobble/knock noise comes even if I am just rolling out of my parking space at work.

Possible sand causing the crunching sound? But no idea about the wobble noise. Again a noise not an actual wobble. Any help would be great before I need to bring it in.

psheffern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
79cj7amc304auto
2013 JK Wrangler 

Manual or auto? If u shifted gears on a manual u could have let sand into ur drivetrain. If it's an auto then I got nothing for u. Did u hit like 8k rpm's revving it in 4lo maybe? Rpm's will creep up on ya in 4lo. I'd replace the engine w a hemi or an LS!!!
79cj7amc304auto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
psheffern
2008 JK Wrangler 

Auto. The gear noise went away today but the rear noise is def still there. All I need to do is start rolling and it the whop whop whop gets faster. That's the best description I have for the sound.

And when I use the gas it sounds like a raptor from Jurrasic Park is riding along underneath. Lol

I didn't get the RPMs up that high, def not, made sure I ran it real slow. Although I did have two friends take it out with their families seperatly so don't know what they may or may not have done. But the hot tranny oil light did come on for them also.
Unread 08-01-2015, 09:27 AM   #4
nighowl2000
2014 JK Wrangler 

id get your auto transmission fluid serviced asap. probably burnt the fluid. When is the last time your replaced the diff/transfercase oil? Have you checked your drive shaft seals?

her's: 2010 commander sport 3.7L 4x4
nighowl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Above advice good and you're way overdue for an aux cooler for the tranny--

The 42RLE auto NEEDS additional cooling in the pre 2012 JK/JKU-DESPERATELY !

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2015, 05:47 PM   #6
Maertz
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Above advice good and you're way overdue for an aux cooler for the tranny--

The 42RLE auto NEEDS additional cooling in the pre 2012 JK/JKU-DESPERATELY !

Good luck

JIMBO
Mines been fine for years in the new mexico summers wheeling all day. Not once any problems...
Unread 08-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #7
psheffern
2008 JK Wrangler 

I had my mechanic friend take a look, or at least a listen, and I noticed that the driver rear wheel seemed to have a little wobble from top to bottom as it was rolling down the road. He also noticed it and thought maybe rear axle bearings. Sounds like a possiblity.

I have never changed the tranny or diff fluid in the two years that I've owned it, and don't know when it a dorm last, so that might be a good idea
Unread 08-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
J3PH3RY_J33P
2011 JK Wrangler 

you don't have dried sand / lumped up debris within your inner wheel do ya? If you haven't changed the tranny case fluid and diff fluid in that long i would sggst you do so immediately and check everything out ... lift that rear corner and check the roll yourself to see where she's wobbling from.... good luck

{
}
Unread 08-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #9
psheffern
2008 JK Wrangler 

Got an apt at the dealer wed and hoping its warranty work. Thx guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.