Noise after Rough Country 2.5 BB - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Noise after Rough Country 2.5 BB

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
davefisher
2014 JK Wrangler 

Noise after Rough Country 2.5 BB

I'd really appreciate some help. About 2 weeks ago, I installed a Rough Country 2.5" spacer lift. The ride remains very close to stock after the install. My only issue is when I pull out of my drive way (curb), going in or out, I hear a metal on metal noise. It isn't loud, but I can hear it from inside the vehicle. The lift came with shock extenders (front and back), sway bar links, and spacers. I took the rear sway bar links, and moved them to the front, and installed the new links in the rear. I have done a bit of research as to why, and I have not yet done it, but I did read that I should loosen the control arm bolts and rock the jeep and then retighten them. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

davefisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
ncb

Start with loosening all the control arm and track bar hardware. Give it a good shaking while sitting on level ground and torque all hardware to spec.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
jeepsnmopars
2012 JK Wrangler 

Take a look at the upper bolt on your sway bar link. Mine rubs slightly on the passenger side when the suspension flexes. I really don't hear it but noticed that there was some evidence that it has been rubbing on the upper coil spring support.
jeepsnmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm also guessing sway bar link or your Jeep crying because you installed Rough Country on it.

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
CarolinaRubicon
2007 JK Wrangler 

I installed the same lift and also have a clicking noise. I just replaced my worn ball joints that I thought was the noise. But it didn't fix the clicking noise. Mine makes the noise when I hit any bumps. I'm thinking its the metal spacer and the upper coil bucket? Also sounds like a loose or broken shock? Not sure but it's driving me nuts!
CarolinaRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
CarolinaRubicon
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefisher
I'd really appreciate some help. About 2 weeks ago, I installed a Rough Country 2.5" spacer lift. The ride remains very close to stock after the install. My only issue is when I pull out of my drive way (curb), going in or out, I hear a metal on metal noise. It isn't loud, but I can hear it from inside the vehicle. The lift came with shock extenders (front and back), sway bar links, and spacers. I took the rear sway bar links, and moved them to the front, and installed the new links in the rear. I have done a bit of research as to why, and I have not yet done it, but I did read that I should loosen the control arm bolts and rock the jeep and then retighten them. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Does it sound like its coming from the front end? Mine is coming from the front.
CarolinaRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #7
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

You guys might want to look at the front sway bar where it passes the frame rail cross tube. It is common for the sway bar to hit that part of the frame with a lift, depending on the length of the end links. You'll see the frame rail scraped clean to metal if that's what touching. Fix it with a cutoff wheel and spray paint.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
spinlock

If you do have metal on metal rubbing there probably some scrapped paint or suffer metal showing. Have you taken a look at your suspension? It's worth identifying the problem so that you make sure you fix the issue by letting the parts settle in properly.
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
davefisher
2014 JK Wrangler 

If I'm turning right out of the driveway, I can hear it in the front right, and then from the front left, as each wheel goes over the curb in the driveway. There might be a bit of a rub mark on the coil near each sway bar link. Any idea how much space there should be between the coil and sway bar link? On the one side there is about a finger of distance between and on the other side there is about two fingers of distance. I thought it was weird that they weren't the same. Regarding the frame rail cross tube, I'm not sure where to look? It appears the sway bar crossed the center of the vehicle from left to right and then connects to the sway bar links. I can't really follow the sway bar, I don't see where any rubbing took place though. I was speaking to a co-worker and he suggested removing the sway bar links all together to see if the noise goes away. Any thoughts? If the noise goes away, i'm not certain what I should do. I really won't have to time to work on any of this until the weekend.
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
davefisher
2014 JK Wrangler 

I found a loose nut/bolt on the bottom of the front shock extender. I feel like an idiot, but I'm happy the issue has gone away. Thank you to all who have offered any suggestions. Also, wish me luck when I go to install the trackbar relocator bracket in the next few weeks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.