Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

No start, no sounds, all lights working

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  MarkJeter 
#1 ·
Hey, I have my first and last Jeep it's a 2012 Wrangler Sport. Manual transmission. I've been a mechanic for years and can't figure this issue out. I replaced the battery, starter, clutch safety switch and ignition switch. All fuses are good. No DTC, no flashing lights. All lights work as designed. Fuel pump activates in the run position. Any help would be much appreciated!

#4 ·
It's a 2012, the key is coded. I know this as a fact.

Are you seeing the security light on the dash? It will do a bulb check when the rest of the dash does it's thing. It should then go out. If it doesn't, the immobilizer system doesn't recognize your key.

#7 ·
I will definitely sell it as soon as I get it back.
I don't blame you. When my wife caught the flu I wanted to file for divorce. Same principle.

And I for one appreciate your honesty. We all are always on the lookout for good mechanics - you know the ones who stay up on their education, invest in trouble shooting tools and save us consumers money by not just blindly throwing expensive parts at the problem.

Reactions: 222Doc
#8 ·
This is the first Jeep Wrangler I've owned. There are a lot of reasons for my disappointment. Ride quality, seating position, lack of power and lack of room. As far as the mechanic side. I despise mechanic work and would rather throw obvious parts at it, then have the dealership take care of it.

#9 ·
You said you've been a mechanic for years... As a businessman I can't see that as a profitable plan... I can't see anyone I've ever worked for keeping me on payroll for more than a couple weeks, and I am certainly glad my doctor doesn't follow that approach! 😇
Man when you despise your work its time to change careers. Lifes too short...

#11 ·
Lol - right from the pan and into the fire!

You know. Engineers - the last to get credit when nothing breaks and first to get blame when something does!

Yea I worked as a both fleet and line mechanic for several years as well. Although an NIASE Master at age 25 wasn't a top ten in earnings potential though - a simple plug wire change too often turned into a complete detail underhood, and the end result was I was spending customers money faster than they could and taking too much time to do it! Fleet work wasn't so bad - but a line mech who isn't flagging at least 5-8 of 40 hours is NOT profitable to the company. I was never good at just working the most with the least (I'm a go big or go home kinda guy). But my trouble shooting skills (and failure analysis skills) is what saved me (coupled with a strong work ethic). So when I got out of engineering school - I got into engine building as semi temporary until I found my goal job (engineer on a race team) - engine building/rebuilding was the last step of practical experience to become a builder - I can honestly say I have professionally performed every aspect of coach work - body/paint, interior/upholstery the whole deal) - I loved engine and dyno work (and the detail orientation required, not to mention the contacts I made and elbows I rubbed working for one of the top ten race builders in the nation) so I stayed (until back injury really limited my potential for the earnings I pulled for the company).

Oh and I switched to financial and estate planning and taxpayer representation. Strange how that works - but far better pay and I answer to ME (I own my own practice with several locations). That has funded me enough to not only meet todays needs, but set up retirement AND acquire start-up cash for my own coach building business for my golden years. Should be on line next summer. I just hate that I have to hire a mechanic though - the past twenty years being out of the experience field has really made a lot of my trouble shooting skills antiquated). I won't keep a less than top ten earner on my payroll for very long so figure I'll go through a few before I get my golden goose...

#12 ·
That's fantastic! I certainly enjoy engine building and tuning. You'll definitely go through a few mechanics before you find hat perfect fit. I'm in the process of starting two companies. My ultimate goal is to minimize output (work) while maximizing input (profit). To that end I'm always on the lookout for new and diverse opportunities. Multiple sources of income as opposed to a single source. I've failed starting a few businesses before and won't give up. Lessons learned and applied to these new endevours.

#15 ·
buying a jeep for "Ride quality" is like marrying a wench and expecting a virgin.

lack of power? 2012 and up Jks are the fastest/powerful jeep ever made , period.
People buy a jeep for the most part to LOOK like something they may not be. Thinking its a SUV, car or a truck. Jeeps jk-cj have never been good at any of those. They do best what they were intended for, off road. I would NEVER have bought a jeep since 1975 if it was for DD. makes no sense. But for many its more status thing, or they want to be like," the most interesting man in the world".

#17 ·
buying a jeep for "Ride quality" is like marrying a wench and expecting a virgin.

lack of power? 2012 and up Jks are the fastest/powerful jeep ever made , period.
People buy a jeep for the most part to LOOK like something they may not be. Thinking its a SUV, car or a truck. Jeeps jk-cj have never been good at any of those. They do best what they were intended for, off road. I would NEVER have bought a jeep since 1975 if it was for DD. makes no sense. But for many its more status thing, or they want to be like," the most interesting man in the world".

Video Link:

I agree with this is the most powerful engine yet it is the dam 3.21 rear end that sucks the life out of it. Upgrade to 3.73 or better and it is a different animal

#16 ·
Oh great. Now I feel weird.
I let friends drive my jeep. But that's not the worse parts.
I have paid employees that drive it.

#19 ·
222Doc said:
buying a jeep for "Ride quality" is like marrying a wench and expecting a virgin. lack of power? 2012 and up Jks are the fastest/powerful jeep ever made , period. People buy a jeep for the most part to LOOK like something they may not be. Thinking its a SUV, car or a truck. Jeeps jk-cj have never been good at any of those. They do best what they were intended for, off road. I would NEVER have bought a jeep since 1975 if it was for DD. makes no sense. But for many its more status thing, or they want to be like," the most interesting man in the world". Video Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?

v=S3VIJjdjbxw
It was a bad decision on my part. Lesson learned, I'll never buy another Jeep. I'm buying a 2017 Ram Power Wagon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.