No start, on beach. What next? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > No start, on beach. What next?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 06-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #31
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
even if you have to run it at 4k+ rpms.
And why would you have to do this? Put it in 4lo and 3rd or 2nd gear... Doesnt the auto tranny have that? This is what I do...

MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #32
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Would a trans cooler solve the problem?
Unread 06-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #33
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

naw Im not saying that you HAVE to. But to get speed to go up the hill and cant get enough unless you use 4wd high, 4low running at even 4k+ rpm is better then running 4wd high at 2-3krpm going just as fast. Its less work on the engine and tranny. Just like going up a steep grade in 3rd instead of 4th, sure 4th may do it but its easier on the engine and tranny to downshift and get the rev's up (like when towing). Sure its running faster, burning more gas but its also not working the engine as much and not lugging it down. I have a manual so my ratios are a little different but if I go up even a small hill in sand I use 4wd low. The engine is so gutless even with my 5.13's gears unless its fairly flat it will lug it down. I maybe able to tell a little more cause I have a clutch and not a torque converter so I feel it lug a little more. In 4wd low you have more torque even in 4th gear then you do in 4wd high in 1first gear. Hell I start in 3rd or 4th, even 6th from a stop in sand while in 4low...

A trans cooler will very likely help this problem, heat is what destroy's automatic trannies.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 01:19 AM   #34
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman View Post
That's right, if you want to risk going to jail if you're caught, particularly with the park rangers watching. Not a great risk / reward principle if you ask me.
Jails are not generally considered to be full of thoughtful, smart people who do due diligence and adequate risk/benefit analyses.

Quote:
According to the guy that did the towing, there are only three 4x4 tow trucks available in the whole region.
Damn! And people say that *I* live in the boonies.

Quote:
Hence, the $400 price tag.
I had to pay $600 to have my motorcycle "towed" once (in the back of a pickup truck). It was 300 miles from the tow station. One way.

Quote:
The final verdict was a fried transmission. It overheated, and it spit out hot fluid that then fried the park neutral safety switch wiring. All but the $400 tow (5 miles off the beach) is covered by Chrysler.
This hot transmission business bothers me. Makes me real nervous about towing.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 07:25 AM   #35
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

I've read (but don't know how much truth there is to it), that running the air conditioner helps to keep the transmission cooler. This is because with the AC running, the fan stays on. This in turn keeps air running over the trans cooler.

What I do know is that I have wheeled many times in extremely hot conditions. Kept the AC running constantly- even when we were stopped at an obstacle, I would just keep the engine running with the AC on. I have never had an issue.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #36
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

I know lots of people rip on this weakness with the JK auto to attenuate all the claims made against the manual tranny's, but the simple fact is that an auxiliary auto tranny cooler is an incredibly easy and cheap mod that pretty much guarantees this will never happen. I have been all over this and I have yet to hear of anyone install a cooler and run into overheating problems after the fact. If you even think you're going to wheel your Jeep, there's no reason not to order a B&M or NAPA tranny cooler and do it yourself.
'07 JK 2dr Sahara - auto w/ 4.10's and rear locker. 2" OME HD coil lift, BDS shocks, and 1" body-lift. 34" Hankook RT09 MT's on 16" AEV Bridgers. ARB diff covers, Warn bumpers, Warn 9K winch, a couple Hella lights ...and a WORTHLESS AirRaid CAI.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 05:36 AM   #37
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

On the beach, it is very hot, and you do not drive more than about 10 mph. 10 mph does not create much air flow. The fans might be enough to keep it cool. It is hard to tell. You need lots of air flow across the cooler for it to be effective. For towing, it works great because you are moving at 65 mph. For the beach, it may not be as good. I would not use the JK to tow anything large.

I still think that a transmission temperature reading would be very helpful, in addition to the transmission cooler and the warning light. You could watch it as you wheel. If it starts getting hot, then you can turn around and go home or at least shut it down until it cools off. I view transmission temperature about as important as oil pressure, but you never get a temperature reading.

Regarding being in a remote location, apparently most tow trucks here in the South are two wheel drive. They do not do snow removal. Thus, they do not waste their money on a 4x4. Sounds silly to me, but that is the case. We have 200,000 people in this county alone. Thus, we are not too far out of civilization. It is nice to have less crime in a lower population density area.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.