No start, on beach. What next? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > No start, on beach. What next?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #16
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
Is it an automatic? Some of us with auto's have had this issue a few times at random. The problem (apparently) is that the transmission is not registering that it is in Park. When we try to start, it just clicks- does not even attempt to turn over.

Move the shifter out of Park and back. This has always worked for me. But I've heard of that not working sometimes for other people, in which case they put it in neutral and it starts.
Wow...freaky...that happened to me this morning. I hopped in to go get some gas and *click*. I tried a few more times with the same result. With the battery trouble I've had lately I thought maybe my new battery had lost its juice but it measures 12.51v. I hopped back in and tried 4-5 more times and it started up no problem.

Next time it happens I'm definitely going to try to start in N and see if it starts immediately once out of gear.

Unread 06-14-2010, 06:53 AM   #17
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

No luck getting it started. We tried the neutral start, and that did not work either in this instance.

The battery seems fine. The volt meter numbers were good. We even tested with my battery.

He did have some transmission fluid on the electrical connector for what I believe was the park/neutral safety switch. I tried to clean it off, but it did not help. I am not sure if the transmission leak is related to no start condition or not.

It is going to have to get towed off the beach today. His warranty will cover all of the repair costs to get it running and stop the fluid leak. I will post the solution when I find more for anyone interested.
Unread 06-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #18
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman View Post
It is going to have to get towed off the beach today.
I still can't figure out why you didn't tow it off the first day. I know I wouldn't leave my Jeep, broken or otherwise, sitting out on the beach overnight. Christ. You're lucky if someone else doesn't tow it off before you get the chance.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #19
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
I still can't figure out why you didn't tow it off the first day. I know I wouldn't leave my Jeep, broken or otherwise, sitting out on the beach overnight. Christ. You're lucky if someone else doesn't tow it off before you get the chance.
Back in the day (When I lived in Wilmington), Fort Fisher/Cape Fear was OPEN, but then they put up a ranger station and make you pay for access. They also close at dusk, so........................
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #20
sandandson
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Fort Fisher closes at dusk, but they still let you camp there. I think they restrict fires though. On the North End, you can still pretty much do whatever you want; but the town of Carolina Beach has upped the fees ($100/yr or $20day) and put some portojohns out there.
sandandson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #21
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
There was hope that we might get it started and drive it off on Sunday. That did not work, so he waited until the morning.

My friend got it towed off today, and they charged him $400 to take it five miles. One night or two on a secluded beach is no big deal, particularly if you have a shot at saving $400.

Regarding someone else towing it, that is what insurance is all about. Someone can steal it any time they like. The beach is no different.

The ranger was fine with him leaving it for a night or two. The dealer was not open on Sunday anyway. No one touched it while it was there. No harm done.
Unread 06-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #22
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
My friend got it towed off today, and they charged him $400 to take it five miles. One night or two on a secluded beach is no big deal, particularly if you have a shot at saving $400.
Unless someone steals it, vandalizes it, etc. etc.

If I tried leaving my Jeep on the beach, the polar ice caps would melt, sea level would rise, and that would be the last I saw of my Jeep unless I wanted to do a wreck dive on it.
Unread 06-15-2010, 05:13 AM   #23
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Unless someone steals it, vandalizes it, etc. etc.
As expected, no one stole it, and no one vandalized it. It is not like we live in NYC. People are civil here on the average.

Fort Fisher beach access is in a NC State Park that closes at 9:00 pm and requires the driver pay $10 just to get on the beach. The rangers patrol the strip all day long. His concern of foul play was less than if it was in his driveway in Carolina Beach. More people have access to it at home than at the beach.

Had we been successful on Sunday, he would have his Jeep right now, and he would have an extra $400. Had he gotten it right away on Saturday, it would still be at the dealer today. Same situation either way.
Unread 06-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #24
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Fort Fisher beach access is in a NC State Park that closes at 9:00 pm and requires the driver pay $10 just to get on the beach. The rangers patrol the strip all day long.
So steal it (or parts from it) at night. Could could probably find a way to sneak in and save the $10 too - but even if not, that's a small price to pay for 5 wheels & tires, seats, top, etc.

Quote:
Had we been successful on Sunday, he would have his Jeep right now, and he would have an extra $400. Had he gotten it right away on Saturday, it would still be at the dealer today. Same situation either way.
I was just trying to understand why not being able to get a flat bed down the beach was a problem, given other tow truck possibilities, that's all.
Unread 06-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #25
PASKS
2013 JK Wrangler 

i am quite curious what you find out. my old chevy blazer would do that on the beach once in a while. it was like a previous poster said...the transfer case was just slightly out of synch. all it took was rocking the ride back and forth a little and working the shifter. now when i stop on sand i drive back and forth a little to get some flat spots...takes some weight off the transfer case i guess
PASKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #26
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
So steal it (or parts from it) at night. Could could probably find a way to sneak in and save the $10 too - but even if not, that's a small price to pay for 5 wheels & tires, seats, top, etc.
That's right, if you want to risk going to jail if you're caught, particularly with the park rangers watching. Not a great risk / reward principle if you ask me. Not that it matters to me, but it should be much less complicated to steal the wheels and tires from a Jeep on the regular streets / parking lots.

Quote:
I was just trying to understand why not being able to get a flat bed down the beach was a problem, given other tow truck possibilities, that's all.
According to the guy that did the towing, there are only three 4x4 tow trucks available in the whole region. Hence, the $400 price tag. No supply and lots of demand. A flatbed is the preferable way to transport a Jeep. There is no risk to damaging the hardware. However, a 2x4 flatbed carrying a JK will not get through the sand.

The flatbed was not an option, and I was just wondering what the non-flatbed options were. Come to find out, there are not many non-flatbed options available. It was towed with all four wheels on the ground in neutral.

The final verdict was a fried transmission. It overheated, and it spit out hot fluid that then fried the park neutral safety switch wiring. All but the $400 tow (5 miles off the beach) is covered by Chrysler.

I thought that the JK would do better on the beach than that. Sounds pretty risky to me.
Unread 06-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #27
tkob1060
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
The final verdict was a fried transmission. It overheated, and it spit out hot fluid that then fried the park neutral safety switch wiring. All but the $400 tow (5 miles off the beach) is covered by Chrysler.

I thought that the JK would do better on the beach than that. Sounds pretty risky to me.
the 09's are supposed to have a HOT OIL light for the transmission that "should" have come on, maybe it did but kid didnt know any better?

Also driving the JK in 4hi on the beach will heat the trans up FAST, best to run it in 4low, overdrive off, which turns off the ESP, the damn esp also makes the trans run hotter.

Search Fire in the Jk section they are REALLY REALLY lucky it didnt catch fire and burn to the ground, that is the speculation for most of the jk fires, trans over heats and fluid comes out dipstick onto exhaust and poof gone. That is also the reason for the recalls on 07-08's to add the stupid hot oil light
tkob1060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #28
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
the 09's are supposed to have a HOT OIL light for the transmission that "should" have come on, maybe it did but kid didnt know any better?
His son is a UNC college graduate, and he is pretty responsible. They turned it off at the first sign of trouble, which was the right thing to do. That is probably why there was no fire.

I am not sure why four-low is any better than four-high if you do not drive any faster than 10 mph in either setting. I thought that ESP was more for roll-over than uniform wheel slip.

They should really put a trans fluid temperature reading on the dash rather than just an idiot light. It is the equivalent of low fuel light without a reading of the tank level. Lights are nice, but meters are much better.
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #29
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

The torque converter can really heat up if its under a lot of stress from running the dunes.. that is why you want as much torque as you can get at the wheels so running it in 4low is MUCH easier on the tranny and engine even if you have to run it at 4k+ rpms. Thats one of the bad things about having a Rubicon on the sand, they have such a low range you cant get much speed while at the same time the engine is so gutless 4high will put a lot of stress on the tranny and engine so they heat up. I go to the sand dunes a lot and have even got into the habit of using 2wd if I want to go fast.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #30
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
If you're running in 4 hi you need to turn esp off in the sand.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.