No start, on beach. What next? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > No start, on beach. What next?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 06-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

No start, on beach. What next?

I have a dumb question.

I have a friend with an '09 JK Rubicon Unlimited. It was a few miles down the shore, and it was turned off. It then proceeded to not start and did not jump.

It needs to be towed off the beach, but they cannot bring a flatbed down the shore. Is it possible to just disconnect the drive shaft to tow it about three miles off of the beach on two wheels? Once off the beach, it can be loaded onto a flat bed.

Also, is there any other option that does not involve drive shaft removal? It looks like you can put the transfer case in neutral, but without the vehicle starting, I am not sure that you can get everything set up properly without power.

Unread 06-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Transfer case in neutral, steering un-locked, parking brake off, tow it as far as you want!!!
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Put everything in neutral and tow it. It's a jeep so all of the linkages are mechanical....Now, if it were a Honda....
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Will do. That sounds too easy.

Just wanted to be sure. I would hate to mess up his ride.

Thanks.
Unread 06-13-2010, 02:12 AM   #5
Reflux

hit the starter with the tire iron while your friend has the key turned... it has worked on a few vehicles i've owned...
Reflux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 03:58 AM   #6
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman View Post
but they cannot bring a flatbed down the shore.
So use a standard tow truck.
tow_trucks_7.jpg  
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 06:31 AM   #7
mandalayjim
2008 JK Wrangler 

I tow my '08 with my motorhome and have to disconnect the battery each time otherwise with the ignition unlocked it will drain down. Now having said that I know for a fact that you can't shift the automatic transmission to "N" and put the transfer case in "N" without battery power. I have disconnected the battery first before trying to place the tranfer case in "N" and it won't happen because the power needs to be on the place the transmission in "N" to start the sequence.
mandalayjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 07:37 AM   #8
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I believe that the battery has juice. The motor just will not turn over. I was hoping that we could get both the transmission and transfer case into neutral with battery power only.

I was also going to try connecting his battery cables to my WJ battery via jumper cables removing his battery from the circuit to see if it starts. My XK died last year, and it ended up being a bad battery cell. It would not start or jump. I used the WJ battery similarly, and it fired right up. That prompted me to go out and buy a new battery. A year later, all is good on the XK.

I had never had a battery in the last 20 years that did not jump. Usually the first few times that a battery dies, it will jump back to life. I will get a new battery after the first or second time that it dies. When the XK battery did not jump after the first time that it died, I thought something worse was happening. Fortunately for me, it was just the battery. That is the easy electrical solution.

I do find it strange that an '09 JK battery might already be dead. That's what makes me think that it may not be the battery. However, it has been over 90F regularly lately. Heat does kill batteries early down here.
Unread 06-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #9
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Is it an automatic? Some of us with auto's have had this issue a few times at random. The problem (apparently) is that the transmission is not registering that it is in Park. When we try to start, it just clicks- does not even attempt to turn over.

Move the shifter out of Park and back. This has always worked for me. But I've heard of that not working sometimes for other people, in which case they put it in neutral and it starts.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Yes, it is an auto, and it does just click without trying to turn over.

I will give it a shot. I guess that it could be a park/neutral safety switch item.

Thanks.
Unread 06-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
sandandson
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Noticed you're in Wilmington, me too. You guys still stuck on the beach? If so, I could always pick up a battery at autozone, drive it out to you, and you could pay me back.
sandandson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #12
jk2008jp
2008 JK Wrangler 

Did he get the starter wet? When I took mine through mud (up above the door frames) when I was driving home stopped to buy dip, I shut the jeep off and couldnt get it started again same issue you and others have had just clicked thought it was dead bat, but my mechanic buddy said hit the starter I did and it fired right up could just be a loose term on the starter
Unread 06-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #13
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandandson View Post
Noticed you're in Wilmington, me too. You guys still stuck on the beach? If so, I could always pick up a battery at autozone, drive it out to you, and you could pay me back.
Yes, my friend lives in Carolina Beach, and his JK is stuck way down at Fort Fisher over toward Bald Head Island. It is on high ground where the tide is not an issue. They left it there over night.

I am going to run down there in the WJ later today with him and some tools to see what we can find out. His son is the one that was in it when it got stranded. I asked him if he got it into the water, and he implied that they did not get the diffs in water at all, just driving through sand.

If my WJ battery gets him started, then we will just go back and buy a new one and install it out on the shore.

I appreciate the offer. I think that we should be good in that regard for now. I want to make sure that it is a battery before buying a new one. We are going to take a volt meter to measure voltage. Thanks anyway.
Unread 06-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #14
Swagger
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandandson View Post
Awesome response!

Now the real question is, were you really just wanting to help another Jeep out? Or just looking for an excuse to get the Jeep out on the Beach?

Just kidding,
Swagger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
sandandson
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
Awesome response!

Now the real question is, were you really just wanting to help another Jeep out? Or just looking for an excuse to get the Jeep out on the Beach?

Just kidding,
Honestly, yeah! My wife is working today (she's a nurse) so my son and I are just sitting here like two bumps on a log. Was going to go to the beach today, but it was a little gloomy and overcast this morning. Been lurking the forum all day. LOL

Seriously though, glad to hear the OP seems to have gotten everything straightened out. Being stranded out there is a *****. The towing companies charge people an arm and a leg, and out on Fort Fisher the tide can come get you if you're not parked somewhere out of the way.
sandandson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.