No gauges, wipers and headlights on despite switches are off - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > No gauges, wipers and headlights on despite switches are off

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 06-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyb View Post
So, I am having this problem right now with my 2009 Jeep Wrangler
I got in the other day and the jeep was in a "default mode" so I'm told, where the windshied wipers and headlights stay on but none of the instrumentation works... no turn signals either.

I tried to detach the negative battery terminal. That didn't work.

I pulled up the IOD fuse and waited a few seconds, then put it back in. That worked like a champ!

Problem is.. I have to do that every time I get in.

Any ideas on what I should do next?
Try going into the user set up and disable lights on with wipers. Then reset as you did before. My be crosslinking those functions.

Unread 04-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #17
Simonsben

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Try going into the user set up and disable lights on with wipers. Then reset as you did before. My be crosslinking those functions.
I had this same problem and the lights were set to turn on with the wipers. I turned that off and the wipers were still on so I pulled the negative cable, counted to 10 and put it back on. Seems to have fixed the issue.

I have a 2011 Laredo X 5.7 2WD
Simonsben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #18
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Those of you that have this problem, are you running external accessories? Maybe a pod style power distribution unit? Just curious.
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #19
unrouli
2008 JK Wrangler 

In my case no, I did not have any after market accessories.
unrouli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 05:35 AM   #20
Simonsben

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrouli View Post
In my case no, I did not have any after market accessories.
Likewise.
Unread 04-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #21
RockHard07
2007 JK Wrangler 

i had a problem similar to this not long ago. headlights came on with switch off and nothing on either of my multifuntion stalks worked (dome lights, wipers, blinkers, ect.) but all my gauges did work. replaced the left multifunction stalk and it fixed the problem. word of advise on replacing this part, go to the dealer i got out of there for under 50 bucks when Napa wanted 125+. didnt really check online tho. as far as the gauges not working, in my research of my particular issue i found that some people had their TIPM (totally integrated power module) fry. one poor guy even had his jeep catch fire when the TIPM imploded. it controls pretty much everything on the jk's and is a part of the fuse block under the hood, under all the fuses there are 5 large harnesses connecting to it if i remember correctly
Unread 04-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #22
Simonsben

Went away for a week and left the jeep parked. Went to move it today the the front wipers were on. Could not turn them off or the rear wiper off. I will likely take it to the dealer to sort it out.

Ben
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #23
ewhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hi,
Just a thought; these problems are characteristic of those often seen with a bad ground. Perhaps the multi-function stalk replacement also affected a ground in the column.
Ernie
ewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #24
Dkelly

It's the multi-purpose switch / headlight switch faulting... 100%
Dkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #25
Bukrub
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My wife's 2012 unlimited has been in the Dealer for this exact same problem for 2 weeks. They say the problem is a Cluster Board, but being a Funtion 11 Part, the new one had to be sent away to be programmed. I don't have a lot of confidence in this diagnoses. But I guess we will find out Tuesday when the part is suppose to be here. It has 8000 miles on it.
Bukrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #26
JeepCares

Bukrub - Please update us with what happens.

The mileage needs to be programmed in the "new" cluster. Not everyone can go in and just put in a mileage.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #27
Bukrub
2004 TJ Wrangler 

For some reason my notifications are not working, but to follow up on this, it did end up being the Dash cluster board. Took over a month to get the part as they say they are programed for the specific vehicle. After 5 weeks in the dealer we finally got it back and had no further issues. It now has 17k miles with no problems.
Bukrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #28
gary00wd
2010 JK Wrangler 

wow, today just had same problem

Went to start my 2010 Jeep Wrangler JK and leave work. The Jeep started right up and my windshield wipers came on but no gauges. AC would not come on. Jeep is Auto transmission and I could NOT put it in gear. I tried to turn wipers on and off, but they just kept on going. Then I looked up and saw that the headlights were on so I turned them on and off and BAM, everything started working fine.

I am not glad this has happened to other people, but at least I know I was not going crazy !
gary00wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #29
dangerjack

2010 JK Wrangler 

I have the same problem. It goes away with the disconnection of the battery, but as soon as I shut the Jeep off, the next time I start it up the same happens. I have to pop the hood at every start. Anyone ever find a fix or actual cause?

1995 YJ 2.5
2010 JK Sport
dangerjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #30
jonesy1964

20 Wrangler Unlimited Sport

I am having same issue right now except I also can not shift out of Park. Same as above. I pulled fuse, no change. Disconnected negative termianl and waiting right now. Any suggestions? Oh and my warranty ran out 7/31/13. 26000 miles

Last edited by jonesy1964; 09-18-2013 at 11:40 AM..
jonesy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.