No gauges, wipers and headlights on despite switches are off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > No gauges, wipers and headlights on despite switches are off

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
labgeek
2010 JK Wrangler 

No gauges, wipers and headlights on despite switches are off

Weird thing happened after I stopped and filled the tires as the TPMS was complaining... when I started it no gauges, odometer, etc. came on but both the headlights and wipers came on (but shouldn't have both switches were off). Killed it, let it sit for a bit and started it again, and the same thing - no dash, lights/wipers on. Took out the FlashPaq thinking it was going to have to go back to the dealer and put it back to stock - which I thought also resets the computer... but still the same symptoms. Started to drive it back to the house since I didn't have my tools with me (they're in her Xterra at the moment) to disconnect the battery and force a reset. While driving the couple miles back to the house I started playing with every switch on the dash... interestingly enough when I turned on the headlights everything came back on for the dash, and the wipers turned off. Turned the switch headlight switch off and they did go off. I pulled over and stopped and started it again, and it seems to be fine.

I searched the forum but didn't have much luck finding this issue... I did see a couple "chinese fire drill" posts that appear similar but not exact. So has anyone seen this before?

IMHO ... headlights and wipers are STUPID places to use computers! ... and that's coming from a senior programmer/analyst. I've made my living with computers for a couple dozen years. It's just not necessary.

Unread 12-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
DAYJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

hmmm... so ur gauges were not working at all? this is very intresting

Utah Jeep Crew Member #47
Cheyenne Trail Junkie

ROADS!? Where we're going, we don't need roads... (Doc)
DAYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
labgeek
2010 JK Wrangler 

Nothing on the dash worked: no gauges at all, no odometer, no trip computer...
Unread 12-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
cmyjeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

THAT same thing happened to our 08. got in to go to work and the wipers came on and lights and stayed on no matter what i did. they had to replace the computor and reflash it. they said it lost all data and could not be fix. only had 18000 miles on it. best of luck
cmyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

try dosconnecting battery neg cable for some time, reconnect and start, hopefully....
Unread 12-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
alicat610

Wipers and headlights on, all dash lights on then dead

Similar thing just happened to me this morning. Got in my 08 wrangler to go to work noticed that when i went to put the key in the ignition key hole area was wet ... very bizarre. Turned on the accessories and the wipers & head lights were on and all of the dash warning lights were on. The gas gauge read empty but the tank was 1/2 full but the jeep started fine. Could not shut off the lights or wipers. Turned the jeep off after about 1-2 min and looked under hood... moisture from the hood dripped into the engine compartment and immediately steam sizzled from the engine block. Seemed very strange to be that hot that quick.

Let the jeep sit and had to take my other car to work so I wasn't late. Got home, tired it again ... wipers & lights were still on but dash lights & gauges were all dead this time. Found this forum (thanks for the tips!) and tried the suggestion to disconnect the neg battery terminal and all seems fine now. Thank you!

Wondering if there could have been a short somewhere...? Lots of rain lately... but seems very unlikely!! Any ideas?
alicat610 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

This is a joyous thread to find seeing as my 1998 TJ has suffered from dashboard apathy forever since the warranty ran out... My JK better not start it. I carry a GPS for use as a speedometer in my TJ because of it's random quirks...
Unread 02-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
3djeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the exact same problem now, but it is still continuing. Any ideas?
3djeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
tturkstra
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like my "chinese fire drill".

Dealer changed my TIPM and everything has been fine since.
Unread 02-02-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
3djeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

How much was that?
Unread 02-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
3djeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

2 days latter and now everything is back to normal...does not instill the confidence I had in my other 2 jeeps. 57 Willy and 89 Sahara
Unread 06-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #12
mickeyb

guages and turn signals don't work

So, I am having this problem right now with my 2009 Jeep Wrangler
I got in the other day and the jeep was in a "default mode" so I'm told, where the windshied wipers and headlights stay on but none of the instrumentation works... no turn signals either.

I tried to detach the negative battery terminal. That didn't work.

I pulled up the IOD fuse and waited a few seconds, then put it back in. That worked like a champ!

Problem is.. I have to do that every time I get in.

Any ideas on what I should do next?
mickeyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
unrouli
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm having the exact same issue with my 2008 Wrangler. It only has just over 10K miles on it and this morning I got into it to go to work and although it started, the dashboard lights and gauges where not working, the wipers were going (although not turned on), I believe the headlights were on and I could not put it into gear (it's an AT).

I found this post and disconnected the battery which seemed to fix it but now a few hours later, same issue.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
unrouli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #14
labgeek
2010 JK Wrangler 

It hasn't happened to me again since that first time I wrote about above. (Hmm, do you have to knock on wood to drive the spirits away like I would if I said it out loud?) Turning the lights on while I was driving reset it somehow. I know it shouldn't have but it did... One of the other posters said the replaced TIPM (Total Integrated Power Module - I think?). Google TIPM and headlights and you'll see we're not alone on things like this.
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #15
cale32708
2010 JK Wrangler 

Just had the same issue

I just had the same issue yesterday. Had to push the button next to the AT shifter in order to get in gear. I guess the break sensor cuts off as well so it won't let you go into gear. On my way to the dealership I turned on the headlights and everything went back to normal. The dealership now can't find anything wrong with it. Has anyone else had any luck getting this issue fixed? My Jeep only has 10K miles. Thanks!
cale32708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.