Next stage in build, 40s on a 3" OME LT lift, 1" BL, & flat flares - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Next stage in build, 40s on a 3" OME LT lift, 1" BL, & flat flares

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #46
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I never thought 40's on ~stock wheelbase could look and work so well. Very nice rig....definitely one of the coolest JK's on here.

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #47
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Time for a bigger winch? Dont know if this has been discussed before but what do your wife and yourself do for a living. Being a 24 yr old with a $280 weekly check and a son being born on friday, i envy your jeep soo much. Im proud as hell on my 99 tj with 33's. Looks sweet and cant wait to see more action.
MountainMan864 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #48
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
Time for a bigger winch? Dont know if this has been discussed before but what do your wife and yourself do for a living. Being a 24 yr old with a $280 weekly check and a son being born on friday, i envy your jeep soo much. Im proud as hell on my 99 tj with 33's. Looks sweet and cant wait to see more action.
The Warn M8000 has been enough so far.

Though not really part of the build thread, since you asked:

I am a 43 year old business owner.

When I was 24, I was a newlywed, and my wife and I were starting our Senior years in college, driving a 1980 Honda Civic that had body damage on 3 of 4 sides. My wife drove a red Ford Fiesta with a yellow door. We watched the Gulf War on a 13" black and white TV, and lived on student loans, Pell Grants, scholarships, my part time job delivering pizza and her part time job in a cheese factory.

By the time I was 28, we had a son, each had finished masters degrees, $45k in student loans, no assets, and had upgraded to a 100k miles Chevy S10 in need of a clutch and a Honda Civic Wagon.

Just keep at it, work really hard, and keep your eyes open for opportunities to be a business owner.

My entrepreneurial peers spend money on big homes, cabins, boats, RVs, etc.

We don't. Our only real toys/recreation expenditure is our family jeep obsession.
planman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #49
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thats whats up man. Its good to hear people were in the same boat as I am now. I wouldnt change having kids for the world though. Keep up the work? Any plans for a Hemi. Is 5.13's gears the deepest you can go? I thought 5.38's were? How much mud do you see in this beast?
MountainMan864 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 11:51 PM   #50
newjk
2008 JK Wrangler 

agree with plan man, we have all been there, so whats your part time job going to be? congrats on baby?
newjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #51
1990offroadYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

By far the most likes JK ive seen. Oh and did i say
1990offroadYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #52
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
Any plans for a Hemi. Is 5.13's gears the deepest you can go? I thought 5.38's were? How much mud do you see in this beast?
No plans for a Hemi.

5.38s are the deepest I could go, but with a 6 speed, 5.13s work okay. 5.13s with a 6 speed are perfect for 37s.

During the winter, I wheel with a fair amount of wheel spin in deep snow.

As a result, I will be only running the 40s in the non-winter months.

We occasionally do mud, but I hate having to spend hours and loads of quarters to clean it off. So we mostly do technical rock crawling, some forest service and BLM roads, and snow wheeling.

If it were a mud rig, I wouldn't want the LCOG approach nor would I run 40s on D44s--even with the reinforcements/upgrades to the axles.

For the kind driving and offroading we do, we love the LCOG of my JK over my wife's JK.
Unread 05-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #53
tjscoot00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You sir are an inspiration. I am already making plans and a list for when i get back from afghanistan in a year. I dont even have my jeep yet, but i know for a fact that I am getting it.
Unread 08-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #54
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Well, the build continues. I ran 37s during the winter and during a recent trip to Black Hills Jeep Camp.

Back to 40s I go for a while.

Trailmaster has asked me to be a private product tester for them. They sent me their new 4.5" Stealth Long Arm with rear 3 link to install, test, and critique. I opted to run the kit with Fox shocks.

I'll do a thorough write-up, and later this month, I'll rigorously test it out in Moab.

After the test, I'll do some tweaking to customize the Trailmaster setup.

I am making notes as I go. I started yesterday and am mostly done with the front.

Here is some of the progress:

Grinding of residual control arm bracket material:

Pallet full of goodies:

I find it helpful to have a copy of the printed out JK torque specs next to a manufacturer's install instructions:

What is left after quick work with the plasma cutter:

Long arms compared to stock front uppers and Currie front lowers:

Unread 08-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #55
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Trailmaster Flex joint compared to Currie joint:

Marked frame for drilling:

The Trailmaster kit did not come with a drag link flip kit and trackbar relocation bracket. So, here I needed to remove the end from my Currie drag link and flip it in preparation for drag link flip (flip is highly desireable with a 4" or taller lift):

It was in there tight:

I found a knuckle and relocation bracket run on an AEV drag link flip kit. So, I switched out knuckles on my axle for the reinstallation:

Arms and shocks in:

Quite a way yet to go.

This would take much longer at home, but the guy who owns the shop that does my regearing for me let me use one of his lifts for the install.
Unread 08-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #56
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

A few pics from EJS earlier this year:

Unread 08-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #57
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

A few pics from Black Hills Jeep Camp on 37s:

I could have used the 40s here:

Unread 08-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #58
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

And the saga continues!
Another episode in the journey of the planman
Looks great Anthony, keep up the good work

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #59
dsmith13
2010 JK Wrangler 

your jeep is my hero
dsmith13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #60
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, I love your Jeep too...be interesting to hear how you like this setup...

wish I knew how to weld
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
40" tires , JK Wrangler , lift , minimum lift , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.