Newbie suspension question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Newbie suspension question?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
BartJJ

Newbie suspension question?

First off, be easy on me guys if this is something that has been answered I've searched but this is my first thread because I can't find it... Now to the question.
I'm hopefully getting a 4dr Sahara auto trans sometime in the next week or so (2007) and was thinking of lifting it 2-3" so I can run 33" or possibly 35" tires. Now, I'm obviously concerned with how well it will drive with these upgrades seeing as how its got the stock gearing in it with the auto trans and would like some educated advice on gear ratio's as this will be my daily driver and I don't need to be going around everywhere having to floor it to get it going.
Also, on the suspension/lift kits I've been torn. I've been torn thanks to the fact of this being my daily driver so I don't want to get beat to hell (yes I know that its a jeep I've been driving a 82 scrambler stock height for going on 2 years now) and would really love a softer suspension that would ride more like a truck suspension that won't cost me an arm and a leg. I've heard good things about the teraflex systems and the old man emu systems mainly but have been curious about the fox shocks that are for high speed off roading as I figure they would be some of the softest and best riding on paved road since I'm on the road 95-99% of the time. Any input is more than appreciated.

BartJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

I like my lift. Check out my build for details. I was about to go rock Krawler but a last minute almost free teraflex lift swayed my decision. It rides great.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
JK-Guy
2011 JK Wrangler 

You shouldn't need a lift for 33" tires. . . .

You shouldn't need a lift for 33" tires. All that should be necessary is a new set of rims with more off-set or a set of wheel spacers if you stick with the stock rims. This would give you the ride you're after.

If you want to go with 35" tires, how about going with flat fender flares and a 1.25" body lift. This would still leave you with your stock suspension and room for the 35 inchers.

Sticking with the stock suspension will mean no warranty is voided and you'll save a lot of money. Not to mention that the center of gravity won't change much as you've widened your stance by about 3" and have only lifted the body, not the heavier drivetrain parts.

Just another couple of options . . . .
JK-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
BartJJ

Appreciate the ideas guys, I doubt I'll do 35" tires as of now but the reason I'm lifting is because of the place I do go off-road has a lot of tall but skinny terraces that the jk 4dr would likely bottom out on since they are so long. That's why a lift to me is important because raising it a couple inches with some somewhat larger tires would give me a little extra clearance for those type things without the issues of being too high.

Edit: Also this jeep isn't under warranty anymore so it doesn't matter on that side of things.
Unread 10-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
BartJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar11d2
I like my lift. Check out my build for details. I was about to go rock Krawler but a last minute almost free teraflex lift swayed my decision. It rides great.
Glad to see another person with the teraflex that is happy. I don't think I've seen anyone with their kits say anything but good things about them at this point.
Unread 10-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
dan_lagant
2011 JK Wrangler 

you think you won't go with 35's.....but as soon as you see your jeep next to another jku with 35's your gonna wish you did!
dan_lagant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
jrmandryck
2008 JK Wrangler 

I went with a BB and 33's on my auto 2008 JK, it was a touch sluggish but I got a Flashpaq tuner and it made a huge difference in throttle response and is the best $ I have spent on my Jeep
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Look to AEV for the best riding and handling suspensions.

JPK
KPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Unless you're ready to regear, I'd stay with the 33's. Just to give you an idea, I went with a 3.5" lift from Rock Krawler ($1200, plus 4 shocks @ $150 each,) a set of 5 rims and tires (35"x12.5") ran $2500, and gears 4.88 gears, which were about $700, plus another $900 to install. What else? Modified stock tire carrier and brake light. Cost of alignment. The point being, 35's and larger are awesome, but once you go that big there's a lot more to think about than just the cost of lift and tires.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #10
BartJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood0125
Unless you're ready to regear, I'd stay with the 33's. Just to give you an idea, I went with a 3.5" lift from Rock Krawler ($1200, plus 4 shocks @ $150 each,) a set of 5 rims and tires (35"x12.5") ran $2500, and gears 4.88 gears, which were about $700, plus another $900 to install. What else? Modified stock tire carrier and brake light. Cost of alignment. The point being, 35's and larger are awesome, but once you go that big there's a lot more to think about than just the cost of lift and tires.
Yeah I've been trying to add up how much it'd cost me and I figured about that much for 35's. On a site note can you still cruise comfortably on the interstate running about 80-85? That's my main concern to be perfectly honest. And by comfortably I don't mean the ride I just mean the transmission isn't too low geared for it to hold those speeds without the engine running too high in the rpm range.
Unread 10-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #11
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

BartJJ please take time to fill in your profile for us to help you better. With the auto in the 07, and if you run 35s (with all the items listed above) and regear to 5.13 (the recommendation for an auto with 35s) you will be running high rpms at 85 IMO. You can check the Gear Chart found in the FAQs 85mph is about 20% higher than 70mph so, doing the math you would be turning about 3500 rpms....a tad high for me. Then again I would never drive on 35s at 85....I stick to 75 max in Colorado.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear , jk , sahara , soft , unlimited

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.