Newbie. to Jeep. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Newbie. to Jeep.

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Jeepluv
2010 JK Wrangler 

Newbie. to Jeep.

Well as the Title says, I'm pretty much a total newbie.. this the whole Jeep, off-roading / crawling / etc. I'm pretty much just looking for a decent bumper for now and a winch.. until i can figure out all this other stuff i need to do.. I was just curious, im thinking of purchasing a warn m8000.. and im not sure.. what i would need they are selling it onM8000 Self-Recovery Winch-RH2

which i thought could be a nice starter? or something just to use when im going trail riding with friends etc.. with their 4x4's.. also im curious on getting a bumper.. i would like a full replacement bumper.. but im not sure.. what i should get and etc.. any ideas wheer to start to look for a bumper..

i know that winch comes with the Fairlead = Roller thing.. i heard you need fairleads.. and also that i read a review you need a winch plate? and a mounting plate? or something for that certain winches need for a bumper..

I'm trying to learn as much as i can reading from google etc. and just can't figure it out..

this is what i got in my head.. I'm trying to purchase the stuff my self so i dont have to go to my jeep dealer and pay them $3000 for a bumper + warn winch + installation.. not sure what bumper/ winch.. i think its a Ranchhand bumper.. but not sure..

The steps i think it goes is..

-buy a bumper.
-winch
-winch mounting plate?
-put on the bumper
-put mounting plate on the bumper?
-put winch onto the mounting plate (thats on bumper)
-good to go?

Or somewhat down those lines.. im just confused that I need a winch plate.. mounting plate etc. any ideas where to start or can give a rookie some information on what i shoul dbe looking for. i would think i dont want something to heavy of a bumper in the front? not sure.. what im doing.

Jeepluv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
CooterBrown

1965 CJ5 

with the m8000 most bumpers dont need a mounting plate. i have the XHD modular bumper with the warn m8000, its a great bumper that gives you a crap load of options, and its cheaper than most.. and if your buy the winch from 4wd dot com you can buy a lifetime no questions asked waranty. wich i would suggest. when you order your winch you also need the solenoid mounting bracket which isnt included, but they dont tell you that until the last step of the instructions when they tell you to use it. why? i dont know

2010 rubicon JK
CooterBrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

welcome.

your mod plan is how i started out too.

on bumpers you need to decide between full width, mid width, stubby or very minimalist. looking through the lifted and respective 2dr and 4dr threads above you should get a great selection of what people have put on their rigs and find what suits you.

personally i went with stubby so that i could more easily get a tire onto a rock to crawl up it without a pesky bumper in the way.

if you are definitely planning a lift that includes new coils in the future, then i wouldn't worry about the extra weight of the bumper. it will almost definitely be heavier then the stock one, and lower your front end some. i drove and wheeled for a couple months after my bumper before i did my lift and wheels, and couldn't really tell. i did do front and rear bumpers at the same time so i didn't have any real rake (forward lean), that might be a difference if you are keeping the stock rear bumper.

in your steps, the only things i think are missing:

buy beer and get a friend over to help. mounting a bumper alone can be a pretty annoying feat. especially if you go with a nice solid metal one.

and, also you need to be prepared to do some wiring to get the winch powered, and if you have factory fogs you may need to rewire and mount them if the new bumper has places for factory ones. or decide to go without or buy new ones to mount on the bumper.

again, welcome. the fun is only just begun. modding the jeep is second only to taking out on the trails in my opinion. and planning, researching and prepping for the next phase of mods falls right in third place.

skivviss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
CooterBrown

1965 CJ5 

x2 even with help i ended up dropping the bumper, stinger, and winch on my chest and head. my "partner" let go to blow his nose while i was under it lining up holes.

2010 rubicon JK
CooterBrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Jeepluv
2010 JK Wrangler 

I really appreciate the help that ya'll have given so early into the thread.. i appreciate it, im just going to be looking around for some bumpers.. and im going to purchase the m8000.. for sure.. so i got that.. just need to look for some sorta front bumper.. where did you purchase your XHD MODULAR FRONT BUMPER, i can't seem to find a link on google to that exact one because i really like that one.. i like how its nice, also what is the solenoid mounting bracket? . and i love how your jeep looks.. i got an 2010 Jeep Wrangler Islander edition.. ehh idk if thats good or bad :P
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
monkers
2010 JK Wrangler 

Im a newbie also, so welcome and enjoy your Jeep!!! Im thinking about the Warn M8000 also, if you can, post a review after you get it, I wont be doing any mods untill winter time.......
monkers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Jeepluv
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkers View Post
Im a newbie also, so welcome and enjoy your Jeep!!! Im thinking about the Warn M8000 also, if you can, post a review after you get it, I wont be doing any mods untill winter time.......
Im going to be getting most likely the xhd modular bumper.. and a m800.. since cooter said you dont need the plate or anything.. i just know that you dont ge tthe solenoid mounting bracket with the winch.. costs extra.. like 22$ i think.. but should update this before september see how it goes..!
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Do forget to check your local laws pertaining to your bumper. It would suck to have your Jeep the way you want it only to find out it's a Summons Magnet.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
Scooterpilot

I went to the 4x4 (4wheelparts.com) show in Ontario, Calif and bought an ARB bumper and a Warn 9.5 Ti. Out the door for both were well under 2K. ARB threw in a set of $150.00 off road lights too.

I think 4wheelparts is going to have one in Texas (not sure) but it would be worth the look.

At the show the Warn 8000's, if my memory serves me right were going for $400.00. If they have a show in your area it would be worth the time to take a look.
Scooterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
Jeepluv
2010 JK Wrangler 

There will be a show in texas? well i hope i can find it any idea where it will be located at? if so i might just save some money if possible.. and just wait till then.. but if not i just gotta go about 50 miles to austin to pick it up from the 4wd store.. in austin texas..
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #11
Jeepluv
2010 JK Wrangler 

also you think it would be stupid to mount a cb whip.. i think its 7ft.. not sure on the back on the tire mount.. i thought it looks kinda cool.. like a remote control car...... lol
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #12
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepluv View Post
also you think it would be stupid to mount a cb whip.. i think its 7ft.. not sure on the back on the tire mount.. i thought it looks kinda cool.. like a remote control car...... lol
a 7ft whip, i think that would eventually get ripped off after so much abuse on many trails around me here in arizona. mounting on the rear factory tire carrier mounts only takes a 3ft to clear the top of the jeep by a few inches. bumper, probably 4-5ft.

of course, probably not a concern if the wheelin' you do is in wide open or at least higher overgrowth areas.

locally, this is the sworn by antenna: http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/FS2-FS5.htm
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #13
Jeepluv
2010 JK Wrangler 

i apprecaite the fast response you gave skivvis..

i also got another question now.. A suspension kit is what makes it possible for 1 tire to be higher then the other right? if going onto a rock.. such as in this picture or am i wrong? if not what would it be? and what would be good to get.. and get done to my 2010 Jeep Wrangler (Islander).. I'm really trying to make it sooth up nice.. been doing research, videos etc.

If i was correct mind showing me some links to ones like this? so i get an idea.. on what to be looking for when i purchase it.. right now im just using my stock jeep wrangler jk and trail riding.. haven't bottomed out yet.. but never want to if you catch my drift. and am trying to get over stuff
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:20 PM   #14
wrestlerobx
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skivviss View Post
a 7ft whip, i think that would eventually get ripped off after so much abuse on many trails around me here in arizona. mounting on the rear factory tire carrier mounts only takes a 3ft to clear the top of the jeep by a few inches. bumper, probably 4-5ft.

of course, probably not a concern if the wheelin' you do is in wide open or at least higher overgrowth areas.

locally, this is the sworn by antenna: Firestik II "FS Series" CB Antennas
I have an 8ft whip mounted to my tire carrier. i agree its a little ridiculous and not very practical for trails, however it is easy to fold down to the side and latch down.

OP it does look cool, yes. The firestiks are also VERY nice antennas and look very sharp. I ran this before and only switched to the whip because my firestik was broke.
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:32 PM   #15
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepluv View Post
i apprecaite the fast response you gave skivvis..

i also got another question now.. A suspension kit is what makes it possible for 1 tire to be higher then the other right? if going onto a rock.. such as in this picture or am i wrong? if not what would it be? and what would be good to get.. and get done to my 2010 Jeep Wrangler (Islander).. I'm really trying to make it sooth up nice.. been doing research, videos etc.

If i was correct mind showing me some links to ones like this? so i get an idea.. on what to be looking for when i purchase it.. right now im just using my stock jeep wrangler jk and trail riding.. haven't bottomed out yet.. but never want to if you catch my drift. and am trying to get over stuff
flex/articulation that you show in the picture is a combination of suspension (aka lift kit), longer shocks and disconnecting your sway bar.

the variety is almost endless on lift kits. personally, i went with a full 8 adjustable control arms, front/rear adjustable track bars, new coils, new shocks and sway bar quick disconnects. i ended up going with Clayton Off Road - Jeep Wrangler JK 3.5 Inch Lift Kit. locally, its the most popular lift kit for the jk wheelers i've run with and most of the tj ones as well. definitely a pricey one, but in the month i've had the setup i've been continually impressed with how much more i can do now.

but really, you will probably be surprised at just how much articulation you can get with just using a couple wrenches and disconnecting your stock sway bar links. (edit: but you will want to put them back on for driving on the pavement, as others pointed out to me insurance companies will not look kindly upon you if the worst happens and you don't have a sway bar connected on the roads.)

i'd recommend staying stock for at least a half-dozen or so wheelin' trips if not a dozen to see what you can do already and try to meet up with locals in your area so you can see various configurations on already modded jeeps in action. i think i made much better choices following that advice and taking my time to get it right the first time.

Tags
bumper , choices , JK Wrangler , options , reviews , winch , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.