Newbie with a door removal question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Newbie with a door removal question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
TomOPants
2010 JK Wrangler 

Newbie with a door removal question

Hey all!

New to the forum here, so my apologies if this is answered elsewhere, I did a search but didn't find much.

I took the doors off of my 2010 JK Unlimited for the first time this week. Two of the doors were a bit tough to get off, one of which required me to use a jack to get it off (lesson learned: have a buddy keep their hands on the door at all times when doing so, or the door with fly off when finally unstuck). I had to put them back on due to some rain, and went to take at least the front ones off again. One of the sticky ones was just as tough as the first time.

What can I do to prep the hinges to make it easier next time? I'd assume there is some buildup in there (I live in the northeast) but I don't want to clean out any lube/oil that is in there and only make things harder. Or do I just hit it with a bunch of WD40 when putting them back on, and hope it gets better?

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions. I loved my jeep before, but now getting the doors off is really a blast!

TomOPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

You can take the bushings out, clean it up, grease (I use a a dielectric synthetic grease called "superlube" which is clear, doesn't take on water/salt, and stays greasy/doesn't dry out), reassemble, grease the pins, and you won't have any more problems. Just as anything else, an ounce of maintenance is worth a pound of cure.

Other-than-that, you can also get the delrin bushings from Magnitude engineering (or others?) - these are best bought when on sale (got mine for half-price). The delrin bushings shouldn't be mixed with most forms of grease (delrin will swell up).
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Once the Delrin bushings go in, future lubing of the hinges will be unnecessary.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Lubrication for opening/closing, no - however lubrication to prevent rusty pins - that still happens due to the salt in the winter. Lithium grease is supposed to be compatible with delrin.
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

WD40 will turn to gunk and make it worse. It's only useful as a lubricant until it starts to dry out...because it's not a lubricant.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, with the OEM bushings you'll need grease. Biggest problem with those is that they end up wearing, wear the pins, get wet, then everything gets rusty. Cleaning and greasing them once is the solution - then you won't have any future problems.
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
greengo
2011 JK Wrangler 

I use just a small amount of lithium grease every time I put the doors on which is about twice a week.
greengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I use a short 2x4 and a rag under the door and pry up from the door jamb...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.