NEWBEE!! - HELP - 35"s with 3.73 gears ok? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > NEWBEE!! - HELP - 35"s with 3.73 gears ok?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
Giano14
2013 JK Wrangler 

NEWBEE!! - HELP - 35"s with 3.73 gears ok?

Im buying a Jeep Wrangler for the first time and I want a new 4 door manual. Ive done some research but still new to the game -

Will 3.73 gears be ok with 35"s tires?
Also, whats the minimum lift? 2.5" ? whats the cheapest lift kit and being worry free? Mopar?

What am i looking at in costs to lift?

background:
I dont do any off-roading. I will be doing occasionally long trips to Football games, Met Life stadium, Vermont, Boston, Newport RI summer beach weekends. Im from CT and these places are about 1-3 hours away form me. Im concerned about lag on the highway when traveling. Im hoping I can keep a steady pace between 70-80mph, any luck?

Thanks!
G

Giano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

In what you describe a leveling kit and 33’s will be your friend. 3.73 gearing isn’t enough to keep you comfortable with 35’s. Also the words cheap, 35’s and Mopar do not belong in the same sentence. A lot of highway driving I would suggest a 4.56 gear ratio. Take a look at the Teraflex Performance Leveling kit or the Rock Krawler 1.5” lift. These are GREAT quality lifts and will not affect the ride quality negatively, actually quite the contrary. You can also look into a budget leveling kit which utilizes coil spacers, which is less expensive and will not negatively impact the ride quality.

Mopar lifts are generally rebranded Teraflex components w/ Fox shocks and they offer a 2” and a 3” lift.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
lostmimic
2014 JK Wrangler 

As someone with 35s and (currently) 3.73 gears: Just pretend it is a 5spd not a 6spd because you'll never see 6th lol. When I'm at 75 if I drill the gas to the ground nothing happens in 6th. Slight uphill? There goes 5-7 mph easy.

If it isn't going to off-road, go with a budget spacer hockey pucks and 33s.
lostmimic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
ncb

I wouldn't lift and roll 35s if never going off road. You're opening up a can of worms that's not worth it if only driving on the street. Once you lift and add 35s the domino effect gets pricey. Just my opinion. It's your wallet so do what you like.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Giano14
2013 JK Wrangler 

Great feedback guys and thank you BUT the only reason I say i want a lift and 35" is because that is the look I want to have on my JK. So I'm trying to find a solve for getting the look I want and only compensation as minimal as possible in regular driving performance.

What is my only or best option if I want the 35" wheel look?
Unread 04-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

You could buy 33" tires and Bushwacker "Pocket" flares-/2.5" lift !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giano14 View Post
Great feedback guys and thank you BUT the only reason I say i want a lift and 35" is because that is the look I want to have on my JK. So I'm trying to find a solve for getting the look I want and only compensation as minimal as possible in regular driving performance.

What is my only or best option if I want the 35" wheel look?

It's the stock flares that give the image of "TOO MUCH" space/w 33" tires-

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
jm708
2014 JK Wrangler 

The biggest issue your going to have is the gearing. My jeep background is with CJ's so Im used to going nowhere in a hurry. That being said I don't mind my heavy 35's with 321 gears. I plan on a upgrade but Im in no hurry once again. I would look for a light weight 35 if your set on them. Most places list the actual height of the tire along with the weight. Mine weigh in a 66 lbs a piece not including the rim. Not the lightest out there but I got a deal on them because they were in stock. Keep in mind not only will you feel the lack of power in your butt dyno, your wallet will also feel it from more frequent stops at the gas station. For me its not an issue but others its a deal breaker. Here is a pic of mine with stock height with 35s on with just over 4 inches in back spacing on 15 inch rims.
jeep.jpg

jm708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #8
Giano14
2013 JK Wrangler 

JM708 -

So if you have 4.10 gears would you not feel lack of power? Maybe I should be a used Rubi instead. This is what I'm trying to solve for which gears i need for 35"s so i don't feel the lack of power. I don't mind wasting a little more gas because on a daily basis i don't drive much as I train to work.
Unread 04-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #9
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
JM708 -

So if you have 4.10 gears would you not feel lack of power? Maybe I should be a used Rubi instead. This is what I'm trying to solve for which gears i need for 35"s so i don't feel the lack of power. I don't mind wasting a little more gas because on a daily basis i don't drive much as I train to work.
The 4.10 are only decent with 35s on the 2012+ JK. If you get a 2007-2011 Rubi w/ 4.10 it will still be sluggish. It isnt just killing gas mileage with 3.73 and 35s it is sluggish, dog of a vehicle.

Honestly though a lot of the JKs you see that look cool on the street are probably rolling 33 tires. Here look at some JKs with 33s and see that they look bada$$ too. Jimbos Jeep is rolling 33s in that pic too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jeep...iw=714&bih=287

Also, you can go off-road with a budget boost. You can wheel any Jeep stock so why not with a budget boost and 33s? A leveling kit or slight lift and 33s will be amazing and will keep the cost low.

-Dan
Unread 04-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

the biggest down fall with having 35s and 3.73 gears to me is the constant searching of gears going up a hill and the gas mileage. Other than that though its not bad. It still gets up and goes pretty well.

i would like to upgrade to 4.56 gears, but I dont know if I'll own it long enough to justify doing it (i dont keep cars much longer than 3 years)
Unread 04-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #11
Giano14
2013 JK Wrangler 

Jk 35"

Yea you're right, every time Ive sen 35"s I've had to check the tire size out to confirm it but i do really really like the 35x12.50 r18or20 with mud tires.

I think its exactly what I want, BUT... i may have to take your advice on 33"s because if i lift the jeep it won't fit in my garage
Unread 04-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #12
fastfreddie

Quote:
Im hoping I can keep a steady pace between 70-80mph, any luck?

Thanks!
G
When it comes to advice, it appears the biggest differences will come down to what year Jeep(engine), auto or manual(some replies are obviously auto oriented), quality and type of tire.

Why tire quality and type?
Your bottom line has you hopin' to cruise between 70-80mph. I think tires that balance well or are designed for stable, high speed travel will be difficult to find in a 35.
On top of that, your steering/axle components have to be strong enough to handle the increased loads of a heavy wheel/tire at speed. I don't think stock components will last long at those speeds unless the wheels run absolutely smooth.

I just put 34s(Duratrac 315/70-17) on a 2014 manual 2dr with 3.73, no lift, <500 miles. In fairness to GoodYear, I used DynaBeads(8oz each) w/o checking the actual balance and my wheels are some of the heaviest available, Hutchinsons.
Down the highway, the chassis shakes at 65+mph. The shake isn't bad but it's not something I would put my Jeep through on a daily basis. I have to resolve this as a preventive maintenance measure. Hopefully, it's as simple as a balance issue...I may have to re-seat a tire or two. Steering wheel doesn't move, yet.

As to re-gearing, I thought I'd be going to 4.56 but it seems fine as is w/ 3.73. In fact, if I weren't gonna add any more weight, I wouldn't change 'em. The Jeep feels like it has just enough gearing for its weight/power whereas with the stock tires/wheels, it felt over-geared...first gear was too short and 80mph came too easily.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #13
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

There are plenty 35’s, if not all that will balance and are fine for highway speeds. Shaking shouldn’t happen at 80MPH. My 2008, 2 door, had 35’s and 5.13. I cruised at 80MPH all the time. RPM about 2300 on the highway. Also had 3.5” lift.

Balancing 35’s comes down to know how. There are some shops that cannot balance them and there may also be defected tires. Set up properly, 35’s with proper gearing and balancing should ride like stock, like you added no more weight or height.

Most people that say 3.73 are ok have never driven a JK with a gear ratio to match. I was on 3.73 for a long time on my 35’s and didn’t think it was bad. Once I re-geared, it was night and day and probably the best mod. I kicked myself for tolerating it for so long. The extra 80HP of the 3.6L just makes it easier to roll down the road, 3.73 is still not optimal. You suffer from losing 6th or OD in hilly terrain, you lose your crawl ability and shoot MPG in the foot.

Bottom line, OP, if you cannot afford a new Rubicon with 4.10 find a pre-owned one, 2012+ model year with 4.10 since you know you want 35’s out of the gate.

Another thing not discussed is putting the 35” tire on the OEM tire carrier. That is not advised either.

-Dan
Unread 04-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #14
jm708
2014 JK Wrangler 

I to took a rubi into consideration, but I felt it was best for me to buy a base model at an awesome deal and regear than pay the crazy marked up prices of a rubi. It would have been sweet to have the auto discos lockers 4to1 tc and 410s. But it all comes at a substantial cost. For how few times I would actually end up needing what the rubi has vs my sport. I just couldnt justify the price difference. Good luck figuring out what will best fit your needs. Oh and I just took a three hour trip on the interstate and had no problems in 5th gear. It was hard to hold 70 mph in 6th though. And IL is about as flat as it gets. I don't have an accurate mpg because my Speedo has not been calibrated yet. Still waiting on the brown bus to bring my procal to me.
jm708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #15
Giano14
2013 JK Wrangler 

Rockr8r

Your read my mind!

This helps a ton thanks for the advice. I am looking into trying to find a 2012 Rubi off lease or trade and just buy it out from someone.

Also, by tire carrier did you mean the spare on the back? - if so I was planning to take that off anyway, but if i didn't is that an issue with weight?

Lastly, what should I be looking for in a 2.5" lift kit?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.